• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Thoughts on utility disc putters and their definition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gennataos

Eagle Member
I've started up a putter league and want to steer the disc choices away from utility discs like the Zone. I want it to be about shaping lines with a putter, not pulling off trick shots with skips, overhands, rollers, etc. Something like a Wizard or Aviar is what I have in mind for people to use.

While I know ratings and whatnot can be very subjective, I'm using the inbounddiscgolf site as a reference, because I want some sort of unbiased source to define where the cutoff lies. The best way I've come up with to do that is sort by Putt & Approach Disc Type, then Net (greatest to least). My ideal cutoff would be anything with greater Net fade than a Wizard (31%) would be out. However, looking at the long list of putters with 36% Net fade, I see very little in that list which I would characterize as a utility disc. Above that, though, starting with the JOKERi, is where discs venture into the utility disc range.

I don't want to just pick and choose known utility discs, because then people start saying, "Well, I can do the same thing with a champing Rhyno!", etc. What do you think? Is this a fair way to approach this?

Why do you want to limit what people do with their putters? I can see having fun with putter only rounds, but people are pretty picky when it comes to what they throw. Not to mention, some people beat their Zones and Breakers to straight or even understable. Is that still utility?

If you really want to limit the group to line shaping, pick a single mold that everyone must play with, such as an Envy or Pure.

Or make it a putt and a approach thing. Everyone plays with two putters. One putting and one for throwing. As long as theyre both in the putter class.

If you really want to limit the group to line shaping, pick a single mold that everyone must play with, such as an Envy or Pure.

That was what occurred to me, though I was thinking have three molds to choose from. Perhaps the Pure, the P2, and the Wizard. Or others, but you (plural) get the idea.

Why do you want to limit what people do with their putters? I can see having fun with putter only rounds, but people are pretty picky when it comes to what they throw. Not to mention, some people beat their Zones and Breakers to straight or even understable. Is that still utility?

I want to eliminate utility discs because that's the vision I have for the league. I want to learn to throw putters better, on more lines with greater confidence. The sort of people I'd like to come out are the people who would like to do the same.

I'm not interested in restricting the list that much, to a single mold. No one who throws Aviars is going to want to go get a Wizard for the league, that doesn't help them learn to throw their Aviar any better.

Not going to make everyone happy. I'd choose a putter from each manufacturer to make a list of approved putters. Cite DGCR if asked "why is this one on the list but that one isn't?"

Or make it a putt and a approach thing. Everyone plays with two putters. One putting and one for throwing. As long as theyre both in the putter class.
That's basically what I've done thus far. You bring 2 discs, can be different molds. Unfortunately, the direction many people have already gone is towards one being utility disc, the other a more standard putter. The argument can, and has, been made that everyone can go the same route. The problem is...that's not what I want the league to be.

Not going to make everyone happy. I'd choose a putter from each manufacturer to make a list of approved putters. Cite DGCR if asked "why is this one on the list but that one isn't?"
I still feel that's too limiting. Restricting a couple dozen discs out of 170+, however, still feels like a pretty open field to me.

That league doesn't sound like much fun.

If I want to practice on form I'm not going to spend money to do so.

I truly don't mean to be rude, but restricting what people throw to the point where they may have to throw molds they don't enjoy or may have to buy themselves just doesn't jive with me. I wish you luck, though. Hopefully you find a solid group of people to join in.

So, you're trying to get rid of OS putters because they are too much like drivers, right? Because throwing a Jokeri or something super OS isn't the same form work you get with a neutral putter like an Aviar?

As was mentioned, it's going to be very difficult to eliminate molds due to the beat-ness of them. I have a beat up basic Jokeri that I guarantee is flippier than a new SSS Wizard.

Sounds to me like you have to go all or nothing here. Either all putters are game, or it's a very sort list of approved ones (like 1, or 2).

I also think you are overstating the utility uses of those putters. How many folks are going to go to a putter only league and throw a ton of rollers, scoobs, grenades, and skip shots?

That league doesn't sound like much fun.

If I want to practice on form I'm not going to spend money to do so.

I truly don't mean to be rude, but restricting what people throw to the point where they may have to throw molds they don't enjoy or may have to buy themselves just doesn't jive with me. I wish you luck, though. Hopefully you find a solid group of people to join in.
It's a $3 weekly buy-in with optional $1 CTP and optional $1 ace pool buy-ins. We've been in the mid-high teens in turnout thus far.

I'm not trying to be rude, but you appear to be the type of person I'd rather not attend in the first place.

Heres what you do. You call it the Izard league. Any putter mold that ends in "-izard" can be used. Wizard, or Lizard. Take your pick.

Why not just only allow discs marked as putt and approach? If it's putting only, I'd bring Wizards. If there's an approach component to the league, I'd be pretty upset about not being able to bring Zones because they are my approach disc. Inside of 200' you'll rarely see me throw anything else. If your goal is to help people improve their short games, you'r rule is not helping me much.

I see what you're doing, and it sounds like you're achieving success. It would just be a bummer to throw shots I normally wouldn't on the course.

Last edited:
Because throwing a Jokeri or something super OS isn't the same form work you get with a neutral putter like an Aviar?
Exactly. And, well...if someone has a super beat Zone and that's their normal putter and they're not interested in throwing something else?...okay...they don't have to play.

It's a $3 weekly buy-in with optional $1 CTP and optional $1 ace pool buy-ins. We've been in the mid-high teens in turnout thus far.

I'm not trying to be rude, but you appear to be the type of person I'd rather not attend in the first place.

You want to limit putters AND people? Kodas a bit on the OS side but Im sure hes got a pretty neutral flight once you beat him in a bit, but maybe you're the type of person whos league he wouldnt go to anyway.

Not for nothing, if you ask for but cant handle feedback, dont ask.

Two ways to fix this:

1- Buy a bunch of putters and make that the putter you have to use. When you sign up for league you pay an extra $20 for the discs which pays for the plastic and the remainder goes into the pot at the end. Initial buy in rewards the consistent players.

2 - Limit it to one putter per person. Nobody will want a Zone for everything. And if they do then sucks to be them, they will miss a bunch of putts and have a crappy time on straight holes.

Why not just only allow discs marked as putt and approach? If it's putting only, I'd bring Wizards. If there's an approach component to the league, I'd be pretty upset about not being able to bring Zones because they are my approach disc. Inside of 200' you'll rarely see me throw anything else.
Why would you be upset? If it's not something you'd like to participate in because Zone aren't allowed, then you don't have to.

This isn't a club event, guys. This is just a guy who knows that learning how to shape lines with a putter is useful and can be a lot of fun.

Now in all seriousness... I'd play a league like that. Not to work on form but because its something different and its cheap. I just dont know how you can fairly tell people their putter isnt allowed... or maybe you can, I dont know.

Two ways to fix this:

1- Buy a bunch of putters and make that the putter you have to use. When you sign up for league you pay an extra $20 for the discs which pays for the plastic and the remainder goes into the pot at the end. Initial buy in rewards the consistent players.

This is actually a pretty good idea. Its similar to the Trilogy challenge, except you get one disc.

You want to limit putters AND people? Kodas a bit on the OS side but Im sure hes got a pretty neutral flight once you beat him in a bit, but maybe you're the type of person whos league he wouldnt go to anyway.

Not for nothing, if you ask for but cant handle feedback, dont ask.
That wasn't feedback that I asked for. I didn't ask for whether or not people liked the structure of the league. I asked for feedback on how to define a utility putter.

Status
Not open for further replies.