• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thoughts on water discs

Camgolfer

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I was wondering what everyone chooses when throwing over water. For me it used to be an older crappy disc I did not throw much anymore. It was an old DX Beast, but I did not throw Beasts that much. So I figured why do I throw a disc over the water that I am not as familiar with?

So I want to know do you throw your good plastic over water or do you get a D or DX version of your go-to disc to use in tricky situations where it might get lost?

I throw the disc I always do. If it goes in the water, I go get it.
Granted I will usually try to error on the side safety so I don't have to go get it.

I usually throw an expendable disc. Maybe something that is just old and beat up. On certain holes, depending on the length, I will use floaters. If I really need the distance though, I've found that I can't get there with most floating discs.

I have "reserve discs" for H2O shots: DX Wraith, DX Valk, DX Viper. If it goes in, it gives me a reason to by more!

If it is an x-foot shot over water and you don't choose your typically-thrown disc for an x-foot shot over land, you're mentally preparing to huck it in the drink & should either meow & lay up, roar & throw it on over with your typically-thrown disc, or skip to the next hole.

95% of the time I will throw my regular disc. I have only came across one place where with a decent shot I wasn't 100% sure if I could get over, Long #3 in Jefferson, NC. In that case I just throw a backup of my main disc.

I throw a floating disc, or I throw "safely".
One hole of my home course runs by a small stream that can be 2' deep or 5' deep, depending on the rains. I always throw a floating understable Lightning disc when teeing off. If I need to throw an overstable disc, I have an Epic.
I do not risk good discs because I am not that good yet.

I'm planning on stocking up on a few DX discs this winter in molds I like to throw....Valk and Buzzz probably....I used to use beat up discs that I had found, but that never did me much good. I actually like the Hydra as a mid/putter, but floaters can be good or bad things depending on the water...at Johnny, floaters are a terrible idea;) I found that out the hard way!!!

usually I just throw my normal discs, but there is one hole I bring along or buy a specific water disc for. Hole 12 at Badlands (aka waterworld). The reason I get a specific water disc for this hole is that there's a bunch of stuff you can hit on the other side of the pond that will put your disc back into the drink, even if you have enough distance to clear the water initially. I've bounced discs off that little building back into the drink, and off that huge tree. If I don't have a close to ready to retire distance driver with me, I usually buy a used driver from Ronnie in the parking lot to throw on that hole.

I used to throw a roc I found but now I throw a dragon mainly for piece of mind, it's only gone in one. I don't necessarily like the feel of a 150g disc anymore but I practice with it in the field and it is consistently with my farthest drivers so I don't see it being a problem using it specifically for those shots.

I have X-out DXs for that, but a lot of them are discs I dont care for much so am looking to expand my cheapos some with discs I like to throw. Or just friggin go for it with a disc I know, even if it is a good one and hope I can reach it with a Disc Diver.

OH, and I dont like floating discs unless it is a real mirky still lake. If theres any kind of current or I can see the disc at the bottom, rather they sink and stay than float down the stream to god knows what end.

If I know my disc is going to land near the water, like if the basket is near the water, or if my disc my land and roll in the water, I use my Lightning #2 driver. (it floats)

If I have to clear the water , or throw over a pond, I use a trash disc. I carry two in my bag, and more if I am playing a course with a lot of water.

I used to keep a couple designated water discs for throwing near the drink. One day I pulled out a disc I only threw near water, which is two holes out of the three courses I play on a regular basis. My friend said, "if you throw your water discs, they're going in. That's what they're for. If you don't have them, you won't need them." I'm not entirely sure what he meant, so I pulled out my go to driver, and parked it on the the other side of the hazard. Since then, I've only thrown what I know I can throw regardless of water. Sure, I've had to go swimming for a couple discs, but it's so much more worth it when you park your favorite disc right where you want it.

Moral of the story: balls it, and you'll be rewarded.

I have a leopard with a gouge taken out of it. I like the disc, it works for me...but I don't care if I lose it.

It has altered flight characteristics because of that gouge...but it makes it have almost no fade. Which can be good or bad. You can also turn that thing to the right for years now.

There are a few holes I shoot that on. 1 is hole 4 at MCC that shoots right over a huge pond dealio that I am NO going in. Also the disc could easily roll in on the other side. I'll reach my hand in, I'll toss my disc diver...but I'm not swimming in that crap... Another is later at MCC and has a huge bank that you can easily roll into so I toss that again...if it doesn't roll too fast it won't go so far you can't find it, and it's bright pink so it's easier to see than some discs.

There are also 2 shots at MCC near this stupid little runoff thing. And it just eats discs randomly because of all the cattails and stuff. So I'll toss that, especially since a nice right bend helps you clear it.

I also toss that on hole 2 at parma because the pond isn't really close...but it ends past my comfortable max for a shot at that weird angle... so I toss my leopard trying to get as close to the edge as possible, which is rather risky and they have a pole to fish for discs with there even. Never gone in yet though.

At Basil there's a hole I could justify tossing it on, but I wouldn't except in really cold weather. There's a steam that is moving so I'm not tossing a floater! I generally toss my valk because it's the right flight pattern and if you go that way the stream is pretty short :)

\/\/

There's another current thread going on about the Dragon. Since my Valks have gone away (RIP) I've been using my Dragon as my main understable driver for the last couple months... and liking it a lot, whether on wet or dry holes.

I don't think much of my Hydra but I do use it around water. I know what it will do... I'm just not thrilled with it. What I don't understand is why they can't make floating discs out of more common molds.... like a floating "Rock!" :D

I guess that the disc manufacturers figure that if they made too many floaters that flew really well then they wouldn't sell as many replacement discs. :rolleyes:

I used to keep a couple designated water discs for throwing near the drink. One day I pulled out a disc I only threw near water, which is two holes out of the three courses I play on a regular basis. My friend said, "if you throw your water discs, they're going in. That's what they're for. If you don't have them, you won't need them." I'm not entirely sure what he meant, so I pulled out my go to driver, and parked it on the the other side of the hazard. Since then, I've only thrown what I know I can throw regardless of water. Sure, I've had to go swimming for a couple discs, but it's so much more worth it when you park your favorite disc right where you want it.

Moral of the story: balls it, and you'll be rewarded.

i agree, altho i keep 3 water discs in my bag until i get something i want through a trade on here, no 1 has offerd me what i need yet tho =(

usually I just throw my normal discs, but there is one hole I bring along or buy a specific water disc for. Hole 12 at Badlands (aka waterworld). The reason I get a specific water disc for this hole is that there's a bunch of stuff you can hit on the other side of the pond that will put your disc back into the drink, even if you have enough distance to clear the water initially. I've bounced discs off that little building back into the drink, and off that huge tree. If I don't have a close to ready to retire distance driver with me, I usually buy a used driver from Ronnie in the parking lot to throw on that hole.

Ha, I did that at the Denver Classic there there past July. That stinking building. Unfortunately my water disc is now at the bottom of a little pond at Beaver Meadows. I might have to find another water disc at some point.

Latest posts