• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throw tips

piperman

Hey guys.

I've been playing about 8 months and can throw 350ish

I was just wondering if you had some tips to help me get some extra D or if there are any technique issues in general that might be holding me back.

Thanks!

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-7216741830913574566&hl=en-CA

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-8819550356247599898&hl=en-CA

PS sorry about the boxer shorts!

Welcome!

That's very good for such a short time of playing.

Were you planning to throw anhyzer? Your plant step, that is the last step before the disc leaves your hand, lands to the left of the line you were moving towards and where the target lies. That produces anhyzer or clockwise tilt of the disc as it leaves your hand. Moving the right leg right leads to level or hyzer throws depending on how much you move the leg.

You're too upright when the disc leaves your hand. You do lean forward at the waist but too little and too late. That means that you're throwing the disc up. That makes having the front of the disc being lower than the rear of the disc very hard. The benefit to this is that the disc won't fade so much or at all and retains speed better for a lot longer distance. Heart over the right knee is usually helpful position when the disc leaves your hand.

I like your speed. You don't seem to start your arm pull at full power which is great but you'd benefit even more by waiting a little longer for the hard acceleration. But that is dependent on your speed, power, front of the disc down angle at which apex height(should be high for maximum distance) and the disc you're throwing with and the wearing of the disc. It doesn't take much for a guy like you to throw a broken in DX Roc without fade even if the front and rear of the disc are at the same level. You just lose distance. But a new Teebird or faster discs may still fade for you. Especially if you don't get the front down and you threw the disc high.

Having the front down on high line drives is very difficult. s-curves/anhyzers or high hyzers are easier to get the front down on higher throws.

I think these are the biggest issues that should push you far forward in distance once you fix them.

tspb said:
Hey guys.

I've been playing about 8 months and can throw 350ish

I was just wondering if you had some tips to help me get some extra D or if there are any technique issues in general that might be holding me back.

Thanks!

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-7216741830913574566&hl=en-CA

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-8819550356247599898&hl=en-CA

PS sorry about the boxer shorts!

I'm not the best at these, but here goes.

Good:
Weight shift
Acceleration at hit

Improve on:
More elbow lead / disc close to body
Nose down

You may lose accuracy looking straight back during your throw, it's not a real long look back but I know 2 people that do this and they both have problems with bad release timing.

JR said:
Welcome!

Were you planning to throw anhyzer? Your plant step, that is the last step before the disc leaves your hand, lands to the left of the line you were moving towards and where the target lies. That produces anhyzer or clockwise tilt of the disc as it leaves your hand. Moving the right leg right leads to level or hyzer throws depending on how much you move the leg.

Its great to be here. I have been lurking for a few months reading all of the tips and I figured I would sign up and post.

Its amazing that you noticed the anhyzer without actually seeing where the disc went. I am really just trying to throw straight. This disc was a 169 TeeRex and it almost turned over on me. I didn't really understand why that was happening "randomly". I will try to focus on my plant foot being on my line next time i practice. (in 20 mins) Or i guess When i want to throw an Anhyzer or Hyzer I will adjust accordingly. Great tip!

So to confirm... If you throw straight but are pointing your feet left the disc goes right... and if you throw with an open stance pointing right the disc will go left. AMAZING. haha. I feel like a rookie.

JR said:
You're too upright when the disc leaves your hand. You do lean forward at the waist but too little and too late. That means that you're throwing the disc up. That makes having the front of the disc being lower than the rear of the disc very hard. The benefit to this is that the disc won't fade so much or at all and retains speed better for a lot longer distance. Heart over the right knee is usually helpful position when the disc leaves your hand.

http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/images/dfeldberg3-3.jpg

This is more of the body position i want at release. Is this the same for Driving and shorter shots? Or can you get away with being upright for a 50% effort approach?

JR said:
I like your speed. You don't seem to start your arm pull at full power which is great but you'd benefit even more by waiting a little longer for the hard acceleration.

Do you mean the first half of the throw could be quite slow and then as you come through your body... *SNAP* with full power? I read here that the disc and arm should be the last thing to move before the throw... IE. feet, hips shoulders. Is this what you are also refering to?

Thanks so much
Rob

Furthur said:
I'm not the best at these, but here goes.

Good:
Weight shift
Acceleration at hit

Improve on:
More elbow lead / disc close to body
Nose down

Nose down has been a tough adjustment. I have been working on it with the help of the disc angle article. As of now when i use the "nose down" grip i tend to turn it over into the ground... Maybe that is because I am throwing anhyzer without realizing it.

As for leading with the elbow: I will give it a try. Do you think I'm throwing with too much arm instead of getting the elbow snap? I'm not quite sure what you mean. I will try (what i think you mean) today and see how it goes.

Thanks
Rob

Seanzerelli said:
You may lose accuracy looking straight back during your throw, it's not a real long look back but I know 2 people that do this and they both have problems with bad release timing.

hmm... I do look back. I agree. I guess i just reach back so much that i can't help it.

Is any look back okay or should i try to keep my head looking forward as i throw?

I'm using the "slingshot" technique that I saw in the Scott Stokely video that my sister bought. I will have to watch again and see if its better to throw with less look back.

Thank for your help
Rob

tspb said:
As for leading with the elbow: I will give it a try. Do you think I'm throwing with too much arm instead of getting the elbow snap? I'm not quite sure what you mean. I will try (what i think you mean) today and see how it goes.

Here's an experiment. With no disc in your hand, stand 90 degrees to the target. Don't rotate your hips, shoulders, or feet. Now, pull your arm to your left pec. That is the approximate position your arm needs to be in before you begin your body rotation and whip.

This comes from Blake, and man, do I swear by it now.

How do you get to that point, Furthur? By body rotation, do you refer to the upper body? To ask another way, what are the hips doing at that point?

For your look back, just try and not look much further than straight left about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1QVLQriAlM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7haXaVs_RM&feature=related

In both backhand examples they turn there head about as far as they're forced to. You're reaching back all the way. You may not need to turn your head that much, but you could try not reaching back as far. Less reach back equates to less power a lot of the time, but there are other ways to improve your swing fluency to make up for lost power while keeping the added accuracy from not looking away as much.

I'm using the "slingshot" technique that I saw in the Scott Stokely video that my sister bought. I will have to watch again and see if its better to throw with less look back.

hehe, was going to ask if you learned from the stokely video. i can always spot em.

few comments.

your legs aren't driving the throw. looks like they are moving because the rest of your body is moving and not the other way around. you are losing out on a ton of whip/acceleration because of this.

you're coming through a touch early... guessing when you "miss" on a throw you are yanking it about 30-45 degrees off to the right and probably throwing it far but way off line? try making sure your pivot foot comes down before you come through the power zone.

make sure you get visual contact before you really commit to the pull through the power zone.

how is your hyzer power? weaker than your anhyzer throws? looks like you are keeping your shoulders somewhat squared which makes hyzer power difficult.

Not much to say after Blake chips in...

I would like to comment on what JR said about being left or right of your line.

If your plant foot heel is close to your other toes, then it's going to be easier for you to lean back (intentionally or not) and produce an anhyzer. If your plant foot toes are closer to your other heel, then it will be much easier to produce a hyzer throw as your pull through. Using either of these strategies will take some adjustment, but could be used to produce said technique. Another way to do this is to move from the lower right to upper left of the tee pad for anhyzer and lower left to upper right for hyzer shot.

I've been awed many times in here by people noticing things I can't see in twenty repetitions. Now it's not that difficult any more but I still like to focus on several things separately because I've noticed that I can't follow everything simultaneously especially with pro level speeds in throws. With experience things become easier to notice. I've spent days looking at videos at full speed, slowed down and frame by frame. I actually saw the disc fly anhyzer so this time it wasn't as Sherlock Holmes as Blake :)

Pointing the toes and where the right plants in relation to your left leg and the direction you're x stepping towards are different things. Both have major effects on accuracy and timing is crucial.

Pointing the toes of the right foot should be easiest for accuracy to be left constantly in the best angle for power generation where you still can pivot to face the target when the disc leaves your hand. It's a very personal thing to find out the angle that works best for you and with practice that angle can change. If your timing is very dependent on the angle of the foot changing the angle may give you a hard time in adjusting and missing left or right consistently could be an issues for some time. In my case quite some time.

Toes pointing to 90 degrees left of the target at the plant requires a lot of energy(momentum and a hard push with the left leg) to let you pivot towards the target with your current timing and earlyish starting of the quick acceleration of the arm pull. And even then in slippery conditions it's entirely possible that you won't pivot around the right foot enough to face the target but have your chest and hips to the left of the target and the momentum carries you to step fast beyond your right leg with your left leg. Missing left with the disc unless you can compensate the aiming with the arm and that is very difficult. So is aborting the throw once (if you have the time to) you notice that you're not gonna pivot enough. Toes pointing 60 degrees left of the target allow for easier pivoting regardless of ground conditions to allow for more consistently facing the target at the expense of lost power. If you can learn two toe pointing directions (and timings that change with the angle changes) that goes a long way for all weather play. The less you point the toes away from the target the faster you'll face the target and the quicker you need to move the arm from reach back to release. That may change the speed/spin rate of the disc. There's a very good chance that shallower angles increase arm speed requirements and generate less spin. That is related to tendon bounce or plyometric loading. And is a large and different topic cover in many places and at detail elsewhere. Search function is your friend :)

What I was commenting on your video is where the right leg touches the ground in sideways position relative to your left leg and where you were x stepping to. If you step along the tee towards the target in the middle line of the tee for anhyzer your right leg should plant closer to the left side of the tee. For straight throws in the middle of the tee and for a hyzer to the right side of the tee.

That picture of Feldy is at the reach back. I used the term release to mean the time when the disc leaves the hand. I think that with approach throws your eyes should never leave the target for greatly increased accuracy vs turning away from the target. Generally for approach throws you should be able to reach the basket without turning away from the basket. If you can't reach the basket with a mid without turning your eyes from the basket that sounds like a two drive hole. until you get more D from drives and approaches. Or you're expecting too low a score on that hole compared to your capabilities. That often leads to throwing one or more strokes more than your skill suggests by taking too risky shots.

With speed I meant your power generation and the quickness of different body parts in motion. It doesn't take that long for your throw to happen in time.

Timing of the power usage in the arm pull is in part the order of event like you wrote and there's more about that in the articles on the main page. Another part is the timing of the quickest possible acceleration. I have a hunch based on physics, own training and watching some top guns of distance throwing that the often suggested advice about accelerating the arm full tilt as the rear of the disc passes the right pectoral muscle is a bit early timing. At that point you probably should start to accelerate the arm compared to the speed up to that point. But maybe not at full rate of acceleration yet. I'd think of a very mild accelration. A gradual acceleration may help to keep the position of the wrist down and other positions in correct orientations as well. Bary Schultz advocates this and what I'm suggesting might be called herky jrky in the last 8" of the arm stroke.

The term used on this board is elbow chop for the quick accceleration in the end of the throw. Climo clinics on youtube and Chris Voigt on The European Open 2006 DVD seem to chop the fastest during the last 8 or so inches of the throw. Voigt throws almost 700'. He may know something. If I understand correctly what's happening is another matter :)

What I'm thinking of is a bit of Schultz and the majority of Climo and Voigt. Considering my nose down success Barry has probably a more usable advice for people with less muscle power like me to keep the disc in the right orientation and Climo and Voigt are power houses. Big time and they have the experience and the muscle power to get away with late acceleration. Blake has put forward some calculations based on physics at the PDGA board in the hyper spin thread IIRC. That late acceleration is ideal in theory but how many can pull it off with proper form? And how much more muscle power do I and the other average Joes need to get to utilize this with drivers? That's why I'm so much more successful with mids that aren't as nose angle sensitive and the added spin keeps mids from turning over and fading less.

tspb said:
JR said:
Welcome!

Its great to be here. I have been lurking for a few months reading all of the tips and I figured I would sign up and post.

Its amazing that you noticed the anhyzer without actually seeing where the disc went. I am really just trying to throw straight. This disc was a 169 TeeRex and it almost turned over on me. I didn't really understand why that was happening "randomly". I will try to focus on my plant foot being on my line next time i practice. (in 20 mins) Or i guess When i want to throw an Anhyzer or Hyzer I will adjust accordingly. Great tip!

So to confirm... If you throw straight but are pointing your feet left the disc goes right... and if you throw with an open stance pointing right the disc will go left. AMAZING. haha. I feel like a rookie.

JR said:

http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/images/dfeldberg3-3.jpg

This is more of the body position i want at release. Is this the same for Driving and shorter shots? Or can you get away with being upright for a 50% effort approach?

JR said:
I like your speed. You don't seem to start your arm pull at full power which is great but you'd benefit even more by waiting a little longer for the hard acceleration.

Do you mean the first half of the throw could be quite slow and then as you come through your body... *SNAP* with full power? I read here that the disc and arm should be the last thing to move before the throw... IE. feet, hips shoulders. Is this what you are also refering to?

Thanks so much
Rob

tspb said:
Seanzerelli said:

hmm... I do look back. I agree. I guess i just reach back so much that i can't help it.

Is any look back okay or should i try to keep my head looking forward as i throw?

Thank for your help
Rob

I thought that Scott meant that for shorter throws you should look at the target and take the lost distance but gain accuracy. And for longer distances that you achieve bite the bullet and lose accuracy and gain D.

jamsisjams said:
How do you get to that point, Furthur? By body rotation, do you refer to the upper body? To ask another way, what are the hips doing at that point?

For an optimal distance throw:

from the reachback, approx 180 degrees toward target. Hips closed.

Rotate to shoulders 90 degrees from target. Hips approx. 90 degrees from target. Disc is still behind the left shoulder.

Disc comes forward to right pectoral. NO MOVEMENT OF HIPS OR SHOULDERS! This is what Blake referred to as "the hitch."

Feet, Hips, Shoulders open toward target, disc whips forward.

----

Realisticly, my throw probably has some turning in the hitch, and I start my forward rotation when the disc is in the middle of my body. But the longer you can wait, the greater your smash factor is, because your wrist loads much more.

Blake, help me out here. I was out playing league tonight, and man, I had some long, straight throws, something that's been missing from my game for a long time.

This is what Blake referred to as "the hitch."

the hitch is for reach back throwers where the disc goes from beyond their left shoulder to their left shoulder/pectoral area. basically, where your shoulders go from turned away to 90 degrees.

there is some movement of the hips, etc. but any shoulder motion should be incidental and not forced at this time.

i think of the legs more in terms of weight shift than hips opening. if you shift forward correctly your hips will open and if your balance is good you should clear the hip.

It looks to me like your rushing it a little to much, next time your at the field try slowing your run up down quite a bit. Let that power build up in your legs a little more.