• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing Mid range MUCH further than drivers

It def sounds as if you are trying to throw your drivers harder and may have some nose angle issues. I have the same problem with my drivers sometimes, and it's almost always because I'm trying to throw them farther.
Not sure what all you're throwing but I'd highly recommend a Valkyrie, Gazelle, or Leopard as good drivers to get your technique down on. The Valk is my personal fave.

What weights are you throwing? I tend to have my drivers a bit lighter than my mids. I really can't throw max weight drivers well at all, so my drivers tend to be in the 164-170 range, while many of my mids are 175-180. FYI - I had a 175 Champ Valk for years that I just hated. Last summer I picked up one at 168 and it was a total game changer. Sometimes you may be using the right disc, but wrong weight.

I've been using it all the time since I read about it. It felt really weird at first but it feels natural now, and I can see the disc penetrating the air much better as a result.

Please find that picture, I could use alot of help with that. My ever changing grip seems to have lost where the disc should actually be placed in the hand. If it's like Climo's grip video where he rolls the disc into the hand from the forearm, I think that's where I found I'm finally able to release flat and not see a hyzer throw immediatly :D

Not sure if this is what Mike was referring to or not, but here you go anyway. In these pics, it's hard to tell, but when my hand is gripping the disc, I still have that index finger knuckle above the disc, and the index wrapped underneath as it should be to grip correctly.
9a4uo5.jpg

hsvpu0.jpg

These first two I have my forearm up just slightly, but you still get the picture.
Aligning the disc in the life line, and just under the very first index knuckle will put the disc where it needs to be, as shown above.
qntwgk.jpg

j8ck1x.jpg

As you can see, this last picture the disc is more neutral. The wrist is the same, the disc is below the life line in the hand. So, it makes it even harder to establish nose down, this is why it's important to keep the disc under the first index knuckle, and in the life line area of the hand to maintain good nose down.

Also, I stress that you maintain the maximum amount of nose down until you absolutely are able to manipulate it. As EVERYONE loses a small amount of nose down due to the wrist straightening, this is natural and will always happen due to grip strength. But, if you know how to power through wrist extension you can gain it back, but that's another story. But, this is why I stress maintaining as much nose down as you can, because you'll always lose some due to grip strength issues when the wrist opens to neutral.

Last edited:
That's the post that made me try it. It added 15 or 20 feet to my drives just changing that 1 thing about my grip, so now I can throw certain holes with less power which has been great for my accuracy. Thanks for posting that.

That was a good first video. I just started playing this month. and am addicted. I have run into the same issue of being able to throw my fairway drivers. Leopard(145g) and Tee bird(165g), farther than my Distance Drivers. Monarch,Archangel,Wraith,Valykyrie(162-172g). I also noticed I was holding the disk "wrong" as he showed that one person by having a straight four finger grip instead of overlapping and putting the thumb over the pointer. so i will have to give that grip a try. also i watched a few diskcraft youtube videos and i probobly need to get some more ummph outta my throws. those guys look like they are going to rip themselves in half. LOL but to get 400-600 feet.....wow.

Last edited:
so I thought you were putting the index knuckle on the flight plate... I've heard of that somewhere

Here's what I thought: apparently called the Bonapane grip

bonapane01.jpg

from this page for more

try out a few tips these guys stated(they're all very true)....using a disc with the perfect balance of midrange and driver...aka..."DiscraftStalker"....(sorry for the discraft marketing)

for most any disc I am guessing "you" are throwing....try a tighter index and middle finger grip with a slight gripped ring finger....the pinky can be overkill when you are first getting things going so dont be worried about its use...unless you try to bomb whatever you want on a slightly elevated piece of concrete into an open field...the bigger the disc, the more the snap :thmbup:

With the way I explained it in my pictures above, the very first knuckle of the index finger, closest to the palm is left on top of the wing. But, the finger is still wrapped under the disc like normal. Not like a Bonapane grip.

With the way I explained it in my pictures above, the very first knuckle of the index finger, closest to the palm is left on top of the wing. But, the finger is still wrapped under the disc like normal. Not like a Bonapane grip.

Is it supposed to be uncomfortable with the pad of your hand off the top of the disc? I've always had mine resting on there, and this feels strange trying to imitate your picture.

Maybe I have small hands and never realized it. Also, it looks like you have a 4 fingered power grip in that pic and I'm not used to that grip. Perhaps all of this at once is too much for my hand memory?

The pad on or off the disc is determined by thumb forward or back. And, this doesn't change which grips you use with it. I was using a four finger power grip, but I also use that same method with a fan grip, or stacked fork grip.

Wow! I can't wait to try that...I just grabbed a disc, and my normal grip the edge of he disc sits on the pad of my palm below the life line. Just lining it up with the life line creates a nose down alignment to begin with.

Well, I tried it after lunch in the field - the black ESP Stalker I got this morning just kept sailing with that grip! (Right about 346 based on Google Earth)
I have to get used to the grip...several of them I ended up releasing on a hyzer plane, but when I did release flat, they sailed.

Thanks for the grip help!

Latest posts