• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

thumbers - good discs to buy

I used a z flick 172 g for my tomahawks and was doing fairly well (300 ft) and then I was turned on to the xXx. The xXx is now my tomahawk disc of choice, it bombs out over 350 ft now with good accuracy.

I also use a 150 flick for 300 ft shots, a Star FL for shots under 300ft and the xXx for shots over 350ft.

i hope this helps. the xXx is the disc of choice for long tomahawks!

Hmm might have to try a XXX. Have tried tons of discs OH and while some come close, none have quite matched the Flick for raw distance, and I am pretty accurate with OH regardless of what disc. Just gotta get a feel for how much turn each disc has.

i usually throw an ESP Force for overhands... usually i throw thumbers but occassionally a tomahawk depending on the line i'm looking for

Hmm might have to try a XXX. Have tried tons of discs OH and while some come close, none have quite matched the Flick for raw distance, and I am pretty accurate with OH regardless of what disc. Just gotta get a feel for how much turn each disc has.

..I easily put on 50 ft with the xXx, it has incredible "glide" and is exceptional in open areas. I've gone over 350ft with it and can possibly see 400ft out of it.

...I highly recommend the xXx for overhead bombers

hmmm xxx huh?

i am looking for a replacement for my force

yeah the XXX is great for thumbers but man i tried rollling it and it didn't really work well like a firebird or flick with overhand rollers. so i keep them for glidey long flex shots and long bombers! the fb is still the roller of choice for me.

wanna hear more from Flick around max weight for rollers and overhands.

I want to hear from someone who has thumbered the XXX and a Flick.

I throw thumbers to around 340' max, with deadly accuracy of course. My friends all call me a cheater.. :D I have thrown max weight Flicks and XXXs. I prefer the Flick, but they are both money for thumbers. I'd suggest you buy one of each at first, and just see which one works best for you. Then buy up an extra or two.

172 champ firebird is the right combination of speed, glide and fade.

Holy crap! Just got back from playing the best round of 18 in my life. Up until now I have only had 2 birdies on this course after playing about 15 or so times (and those were completely by luck). Today I had 6!!! All thanks to the Champ Firebird (172). Not only was I averaging around +315 feet, I was deadly accurate...I could predict the line every time. On one hole I threw it 370 feet and was within 5 feet of the basket and on another I lobbed it around 280 feet and was within 3 feet.

On top of that my backhand vastly improved and all my drives with the Sidewinder and TL were +300 ft and relatively straight.

I'm really pumped because the Champ Firebird is by far my new favorite disc (I can lob it, launch it, get around and over trees with accuracy) and I have a XXX on the way. It will be interesting to compare the two.

Thanks for the recommendation! :D

Those are my 2 main thumber discs. Firebird is more controllable for me. I use it in tight spots, especially in the woods. XXX is great for bombs where you have some room. But I did launch it in the woods on my last hole yesterday of an 8 round tourney. It curved perfectly through the trees and gave my a nice birdie chance. Maybe it's just a matter of learning the disc.

Yes, I shanked the birdie putt. 8 rounds, 8 courses, 100 degree NC heat. I don't feel too bad for missing it.

I can't believe no one has mentioned the Champion Max. My favorite thumber disc for distance. Will keep straight up and down for a while, then do a slow thumber turn. For the shorter shots I like the fast turning Boss or Ape. I don't like the smaller rimmed firebirds, I don't feel you can get the snap. I can get a champ max to fly 450.

Other times off a tee, I don't trust myself throwing backhand, especially if there is a water obstacle on the left hand side, so this sort of gives me an option.

I know it will take a lot of practice, but I definitely want to learn the forehand throw. I tried it for a while today and sucked, hence using the OH off the tee for the holes with water on the left.

Get a DX dragon for those shots u wanna FH w/h20 on the left...after u break it in, it'll be a good turnover driver for BH throws...

A good turnover disc out of the box for you would be a meteor, glide, maybe roadrunner if you've got enough speed...

I personally carry a dragon and hydra when I play my local course that plays around h20, for me it's a confidence thing...
For my turnover shots I carry a wedge, meteor, beat Buzzz, sidewinder and roadrunner.

Merry x-mas

Edit: I know it's not good thumber advice, just my .02...

Last edited:
My preference is a Champ Teebird + for thumbers I am throwing straight to get some type of skip or just straight through a tight gap. For thumbers over obstacles or with any height, I am throwing Champ Firebird. Right now, I am testing the Star Max and Champ Monarch and both are working well for me. I have only been throwing thumbers for about a month but I love the shot. There are many more possibilities with a thumber and it comes out much smoother than my tomahawks.

I like my XXX's for overhand but the champ banshee is a good choice too as others have mentioned. Overstables seem to stay vertical longer, so if you need something to do a quick mid-air wiggle then something less stable will be better off. Just like every other shot, different types of disc will do different things. Find what you like.

I always use a Z Buzzz, but i am never throwing one for distance, mostly 100-150 to get over obstacles or slide around a corner after a bad drive.

My two favorites are me CE Teebird for distance (I don't have much pop) and a 150 class Flick. The Flick is more for espcape type shots and handgrenades.