• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Thunderbird vs Convict

Sonormcneal

Par Member
so i love the Thunderbird. Prob my favorite driver ever. I have them in pretty much all plastic except DX. My question is: Would the Convict overlap with the Thunderbird too much? On DGC, their flight rating for the Convict is a -1, 3 so would this complement the Thundy like the Eagle does a TBird? I know DD's ratings are a little off compared to Innova, but wasn't sure if anyone has had a chance to already test this theory out

I actually picked up a Convict to test this theory out myself. The Thunderbird is my go to for shots in the 350' to 400' range, but since it is a very straight disc it doesn't have the kind of turn and finish I would like for some shots. I haven't had a chance to throw the two back to back, but when I do I will definitely report back.

They aren't even close in my experience
Thunderbird is classic straight to fade, whereas convicts have a lot of wiggle room. However, after a couple tree hits (3-4 will do) the convict turns into an understable tailwind turnover disc, even in lucid... kinda annoying if you ask me. Happened to 2 convicts for me, both max weight or 173+ at least. Thunderbird is straight with more straight then fades at the end.

They aren't even close in my experience
Thunderbird is classic straight to fade, whereas convicts have a lot of wiggle room. However, after a couple tree hits (3-4 will do) the convict turns into an understable tailwind turnover disc, even in lucid... kinda annoying if you ask me. Happened to 2 convicts for me, both max weight or 173+ at least. Thunderbird is straight with more straight then fades at the end.

The only Convict I've tried was definitely hyzer flip to cut roller stability, had several months of use on it though. I was very surprised. Not a PP stamp though so not the super new ones.

I want to try one fresh to see how they are supposed to fly, but I'm glad I'm not the only person to have been shocked by the understability.

There has to be more stable ones out there....Paige throws real hard and they fly great for her.

My beat in Champion Thunderbird had more turn than my beat in Lucid Convict. My beat Lucid Convict is straight to slight fade now and my new one is straight to harder fade. Thunderbird had a little more glide IMO. My Longbowman flies more like the Thunderbird than the Convict IMO.

I've got a 2 month old Convict (lightly used) and a Champ Thunderbird that has seen a lot of use but not beat by any means. Light seasoned I'd say, and a DX Thunderbird thats seasoned in to a laser. My Convict overlaps my Champ too much to bag both. The Convict holds straight longer in to the flight before fading though. A fresh Convict = a seasoned DX Thunderbird though. The Convict is interesting. I can see it make a move in the air as if it wants to turn, but never really turns. The DX Thunderbird (mine in its current state), does the same thing. I bag a Convict and a Star Thunderbird now, as the Star Thunderbird is definitely more OS than the Convict.

I just have a feeling...completely guessing here...that the old ones were maybe garbage and that's why no pro's threw them? Then they started molding up better and Paige as a new pro to the team tried them out, found out they were straight now, and got more people hooked on them? That's the best explanation I have for why some of us have thrown flippy trash ones and some people have them fly real straight like they do in Paige's tourney footage.

I'm still interested in trying a stable one, they feel great and I like Felons too.

I had a tfr fuzion convict that was flippy and just not good.

All of the production run Lucids I've had have been nothing short of amazing. It more resembles a faster eagle, where the thunderbird is more like a faster teebird. Quite similar to an OLF with maybe a hint less of turn and a tick more fade. Very predictable disc, while still being able to work a lot of different lines you might not be able to expect out of a PD/TB/ThB. In fact, I chose to carry Convicts over PDs this year, and I had bagged PDs for quite a long time.

I think the Convict's numbers reflect the disc when it fist came out at 2015 Am World's. I had two, to compliment the Felons I used to throw, as it was described as a beat in Felon in a DD video introducing the disc. They were too similar to bag both. The first crop of Felons I had threw like an LSS of 3 rather than the 4 they are stamped with. Sounds like the Convicts are running more understable now. The FD3 would pair with the Thunderbird better.

The FD3 would pair with the Thunderbird better.

^^ Completely agree with this statement ^^

The Worlds stamped Convict I tried was fairly straight to slightly understable out of the box. So it wasn't really comparable to the stability of my Champ or Star Thunderbird which where straight with a low speed fade.