• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

I'm not interested in chasing a certain run, that feels like a frustrating ordeal. I might just return to Getaways or Vultures.

That may be your best option if you want that flight right away, but you could also put the more overstable ones in your bag in place of your Firebird for a while. Using it for utility throws may help season it faster and then you can hopefully have a backup for the F2 on you love.

I'm not interested in chasing a certain run, that feels like a frustrating ordeal. I might just return to Getaways or Vultures.

That or what until Discmania gets the PD back in production. There are options. Personally, I like the Vulture.

Does it HAVE to be champ type plastic? Small sample size but everything Champ lately has been coming out super OS. Valkyrie that flies like. Thunderbird etc.

I picked one up last December at Browns and Bows in California. $5 max weight in Star, barely beat. I've rotated it in the bag and out. It's like a baby Destroyer that won't fly as far or fade as hard (in a good way). Seems like the kind of disc a person could settle down with, but I need more reps with my Destroyers and the overlap in function is high so I tend to reach for the Destroyer not as much from a sense of comfort or results but from a desire to bond with a disc. Doesn't flip for me when I throw at 5280'. Not a max distance disc, seems like a good 'choke down' disc.

Probably a solid sidearm disc, but nothing I couldn't do with my preferred driver/mid situation.

Super beat Star Firebird. Sorry, i know you were asking for a real answer not a semi smart ass one. Although, despite not really being the answer you were looking for, it does not mean it is not true.

lol just realized i wrote teebird. I meant the first run star thunderbirds that had the CFR bird head stamp and the other basket version of it.

Anyone notice new thunderbirds coming out with some dome and bubbles in the rim?

I'll try it out tomorrow, the dome makes it feel like a tee bird, should be interesting.

I felt a handful of newly stocked champs today - most had some pearl (nice and flat), and one had some milky haze (flat but with a tiny shoulder). The hazy one has the same plastic that I've seen in the new run of TL3s. All seemed to have a typical/neutral PLH, and I don't think I remember bubbles.

got another domey (think teebird like) thunderbird... this time one of the koling star thunderbirds. Not sure im a fan. If anyone is interested id love to trade for a flat koling star thunderbird.

I have started to use a newer run Champion Thunderbird, replacing my Walker Woodpecker TS Glow. That has become too rare and irreplaceable, and I almost lost it after working it in for 6 months, so it's going to hang out. It was also incredibly overstable, it was near identical in flight to a Sexton Firebird. I'd rank it at 9/4/0/3 and that's at its current stage of wear.

The new Champ one is an X out, but I think just for being double stamped. There are those tiny hazy bubbles in the very center of the rim, and it is certainly domier than the Walker TS. I got my friend a used Champ Thunderbird for Christmas, and I think they are from the same run. They are the UV reactive champ, and it has the same bubbles, and has a similar dome. Very stiff, and the used one less so. The used one is not F2/X-Out and I don't think the "micro-blizzarding" in the rim is really an issue that should be X-ed out.

I am really loving this replacement as it feels much truer to the 9/5/0/2 flight which is what I am looking for in this slot. Faster Teebird3 with better wind resistance and more action on the fade.

So are the newer JK Thunderbirds anything special from a collector OR throwers perspective?

I have one that I was using as a thrower. I'm
not into collection all that much but my impression is that it was widely run and is probably not going to end up as lucrative to collect as some of the sexy firebirds.

As a thrower I found it slightly more overstable than normal thunderbirds. Not a firebird by any means, but still noticeably more stable. At least for me.

I have one that I was using as a thrower. I'm
not into collection all that much but my impression is that it was widely run and is probably not going to end up as lucrative to collect as some of the sexy firebirds.

As a thrower I found it slightly more overstable than normal thunderbirds. Not a firebird by any means, but still noticeably more stable. At least for me.

Thank you. I picked one up for almost nothing and remember not liking a Champ Thunderbird. I'll go ahead and throw it a little to see if my feels have changed. I throw a Getaway in that spot.

I've been throwing the eclipse insanity in that spot. It flies about how I was expecting the thunderbird to fly. That said the thunderbird is star and could break in if I gave it more throws. Which I might, just haven't given it the time yet.

I have a Champ Thunderbird that I really love, it goes far and is workable with decent glide but still a reliable fade. Not understable by any means but at least flies straight for a long while before fading. I then have three other Champ Thunderbirds that is legit almost as overstable as my Champ Firebirds. They start fading right out of my hand, doesn't fly anywhere and just dump out of the air even on a decent anhyzer. I've been trying to find a backup for my good Thunderbird and have been looking to move over to another mold just because the three backups that I've got have been duds.

How can I tell which ones are the straighter ones? The only thing I've seemed to notice is that the good one is a bit softer while the other ones are stiff and pop toppy.

For reference I throw my Destroyers ~140m and get the good Thunderbird out to ~130m, the OS ones I need to flex hard to maybe reach 110-115m.

How can I tell which ones are the straighter ones? The only thing I've seemed to notice is that the good one is a bit softer while the other ones are stiff and pop toppy.

Try g star if you are ok with the feel. Pro is really good but impossible to find. Dx are great off the shelf but don't last as long obviously. Or get a thrashed star/champ from the used bin.

After a windy round a month or two ago I decided I needed to pair my CD2s (flat S lines) with something a bit more HSS

I traded for a '22 Koling and a regular Champ.

The Koling is near Firebird for me. Very HSS, very LSS. Really needs me to get on it.
The Champ is quite nice. Flat. Good flight. Straight to fade. HSS but not like the Koling (and definitely better than the CD2).

In chatting with a player who also used Thunderbirds I got an impression that there was quite a bit of variability. For example he thought his Halo Thunderbird was less HSS than his stock Star.

At a tournament this weekend at much less altitude than my home (down by 700m) there was distinctly less HSS on all discs. Turns held for a lot longer. Fades were not as heavy.

That made throwing the CD2 (in low wind) more difficult (certainly on some lines that were needed).

Which got me to thinking if there is a range of Thunderbird that could cover Thunderbird and CD2 duties.

I do have some GStar Thunderbirds that I use as a winter disc for grip.

I've thought about Pro and DX

Thoughts on (sort of) replacing CD2s with Thundies?
Suggestions? Plastics?

I'm looking for some turn but not quite as easily as my CD2s turn and just a bit more bite at the end.

CD2s are great for hyzerflips and turn and fade and I'd want to replicate that with, as noted above, a bit less turn and a bit more fade than a CD2

and then I can use the Champ and Koling Thunderbird for more HSS

After a windy round a month or two ago I decided I needed to pair my CD2s (flat S lines) with something a bit more HSS

I traded for a '22 Koling and a regular Champ.

The Koling is near Firebird for me. Very HSS, very LSS. Really needs me to get on it.
The Champ is quite nice. Flat. Good flight. Straight to fade. HSS but not like the Koling (and definitely better than the CD2).

In chatting with a player who also used Thunderbirds I got an impression that there was quite a bit of variability. For example he thought his Halo Thunderbird was less HSS than his stock Star.

At a tournament this weekend at much less altitude than my home (down by 700m) there was distinctly less HSS on all discs. Turns held for a lot longer. Fades were not as heavy.

That made throwing the CD2 (in low wind) more difficult (certainly on some lines that were needed).

Which got me to thinking if there is a range of Thunderbird that could cover Thunderbird and CD2 duties.

I do have some GStar Thunderbirds that I use as a winter disc for grip.

I've thought about Pro and DX

Thoughts on (sort of) replacing CD2s with Thundies?
Suggestions? Plastics?

I'm looking for some turn but not quite as easily as my CD2s turn and just a bit more bite at the end.

CD2s are great for hyzerflips and turn and fade and I'd want to replicate that with, as noted above, a bit less turn and a bit more fade than a CD2

and then I can use the Champ and Koling Thunderbird for more HSS

I've thrown 3 CD2s in the past (2x S-line and a CG C-line) and I bag an I-blend Dynasty (pro/star blend cd2) and a GStar Thunderbird.

For me the stability is *CD2 > G*ThB > I Dyn > beat *CD2 > beat CGC CD2. The two beat in CD2s are the most understable by some margin.

I'd say that out of the box a beefy *CD2 and a G*ThB are quite similar, the G* probably beats in a little faster and gets to where a regular *CD2 is out of the box in a few weeks/months. From my experience with pro discs in general it will likely be more understable out of the box and beat in quicker, getting to where a flippy s- or c-line is in a month or two of heavy use.