• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

Have you heard of my lord and savior, the Orion LF? They're an awesome comparable mold. Same bottom rim (Firebird) but a different top...and not that stupid Anhyzer top PDs and a lot of Discmania uses:sick:

OLFs use the Wraith top.

Glad someone said this disc as a Thundy replacement. Such an underappreciated mold.

I had a Thunderbird in storage since I got it in a tournament shortly after the mold was released. I just finally broke down this year and started throwing it, and I must say that I am a huge fan of this disc for sure. It seems to fly so straight with just the perfect amount of fade at the end. I've also have never thrown a Teebird3, so I feel like I may have to try one out as well.

I mean if you have to have Champ just get a champ Valkyrie. The recent run champs seem to fly like a Thunderbird should and the hand feel is pretty close.

I bought a star lite Valk and it flies like a star lite Thunderbird.

My 160s champ valk had firebird stability with thundie glide. Not real useful to me I suppose but interesting.

Everyone keeps talking about beefy new Champ Valks. I bought two Xouts with Sierra Nevada stamps and I can't find them. I swore they were sitting in my closed the last 6 months...

Been throwing the Valk more (hyzerflips) and the Thundies less, dang.

I ordered a nice seafoam colored champ valk 170g from dzdiscs a couple days ago. I've never thrown any variant of a Valkyrie before, but I have thrown Sidewinders and Thunderbirds. Guess I'll find out how beefy it is.

2021 Jermbird report:

feel - this swirly star is unlike what we've gotten the past few years, most of mine have more of a champy-star type feel. slightly stiffer than previous runs, but still some good grip. I'm a big fan of this plastic.

profile - slight dome/pop to all of the discs I received.

flight - got in a few throws and stability seems to be close to 2020s, maybe slightly more stable. jury is still out on stability for sure.

looks - I got some unique lookers and good swirls in the batch I ordered.

That 80's stamp on the JermBird is really cool. My Thunderbird stock is just too strong right now to keep adding.

I've had a Thunderbird from a players pack from a few years ago and I just put it in the bag for the first time this year. Needless to say, The more that I throw this disc, the more that I'm in love with it! The one that I have is a glow champ, so how do the other plastics compare with stability?

I've had a Thunderbird from a players pack from a few years ago and I just put it in the bag for the first time this year. Needless to say, The more that I throw this disc, the more that I'm in love with it! The one that I have is a glow champ, so how do the other plastics compare with stability?

Star-more stable, GStar-similar but beats in maybe a bit quicker, Pro-similar but beats in much quicker, DX-less stable. At least for my noodle arm. People that throw harder might see a little more separation when new. Haven't tried a pure champ because every plain champ disc I've bought lately has been an unusably overstable brick

Never thrown a glow. To echo Ogre, typical Innova:

Champ>Star>Gstar>Pro>DX.

The one that I have is a glow champ, so how do the other plastics compare with stability?

I have a couple flatish champ glows from 2017 tournaments. -- best flat-to-hyzer thundys that I've thrown. I love them for a low forehand line.

My plain champs (McBeths) started out more overstable and have gotten straighter as they've aged; the glows seem to hold their fade as they beat a little better, kinda like an OLF. I have a newer champ with a 2019 tournament stamp that is more domey and slots in closer to my Firebirds.

The stars I have thrown have been more stable than champs; never threw one enough to see how it beat in. The pro has a shot shape like my beat glow champ when new, maybe a tick more turn.

Early DX thundys were nice -- stiff and stable. The newer ones I have thrown have been softer and don't handle my torque very well.

The star thundies, prior to them being embossed, were beef. Probably 17 or 18. Mcbeth 3x Champs were straight with a little finish.

whats closest to the first run star teebirds these days?

Super beat Star Firebird. Sorry, i know you were asking for a real answer not a semi smart ass one. Although, despite not really being the answer you were looking for, it does not mean it is not true.

I have a factory second Champion Thunderbird that is absolute money, it's probably my favourite disc in my bag. Max weight and it can take all the power I have while still being quite workable. I can work it on a lot of different angles and it's not too much work to throw it straight. It goes almost as far as my distance drivers and a full power shot will consistently land me on the 120m mark. (it's not beat up, it flew like this out of the box)

Now to the problem... I own three more Champion Thunderbirds that I got as backups and all of them are A LOT more overstable and dumpy. They're very close to firebird stable, definitely a notch more stable than my Felons and my PDs. They start fading much sooner than the money one, the fade is a lot dumpier and I need to really crank them over to flex them into a straight shot. The plastic on these seems firmer and more pop top, maybe a touch more domey.

What gives? Any insight to what is the normal? I used to throw Vultures and the money one is just a touch more stable compared to those, which is what I wanted, but the rest of the Thunderbirds.... yeez.

What gives? Any insight to what is the normal?

Champs have become more OS than Star at this point. Originally, they were more neutral and like a stretched out TeeBird and the early stiff Star ones were OS. If you want a neutral one, seek out the older penned runs that have a slight dome. Could also look at the Savant/OLF for a current run stock disc.

Champs have become more OS than Star at this point. Originally, they were more neutral and like a stretched out TeeBird and the early stiff Star ones were OS. If you want a neutral one, seek out the older penned runs that have a slight dome. Could also look at the Savant/OLF for a current run stock disc.

I'm not interested in chasing a certain run, that feels like a frustrating ordeal. I might just return to Getaways or Vultures.