• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Time to Learn to Putt.

I3ooI3oo

Birdie Member
Well I started playing in late April. Love the game, and am quite addicted. My drives are good but putting has been a challenge so far. So I made a practice pin in the beginning May and my putting has improved but not a quick as would like. I think partially because I only have 3 putter. Practicing with 3 putter is a slow process so today I have committed to putting practice and bought some new discs for practicing.

Printed out a lot of the Perfect Putt 360 score sheets and hope that by the end of July I will have mastered my short game.

Attachments

• IMG00033.jpg
    IMG00033.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 23
Don't think that using more putters during practice will make you a better putter. It's about the quality of the putts you throw, not about the quantity.

If you practice just 15 minutes a day, then you are going to have about a thousand throws per month if you are using one disc (at about 25-30 seconds per throw). Yes, using two or five or however many putters will give you many more reps per 15 minute session, but you are already getting 1000 throws in per month-how many more do you really need?

Practicing your putting is all about the quality of each throw. The more you practice getting yourself into that zone where you are more likely to make the putt, the easier it will be to do it.

For me, it also helps to use one putter because it makes me think that each throw is more important than it does If I am holding 2 or 3 putters.

just my opinion.

Last edited:
While I do not believe that having more putter will make me throw better putts. I do however believe that having more putters will keep me from walking 30 ft after an attempt and allow me to correct my throw sooner that waiting for me to walk the 30 to the pin to retreive my disk. I also to not plan on have the others in my hand while throwing one. I do not putt like that on the course and will not while practicing. I will set down the other Discs before throwing the first one.

Thanks for the Advise.

I have three (well...six, but the other three are sitting in a box until my first three are completely shot) and I feel it is a good number to practice. It is enough that I can repeat a shot once or twice to correct an error in judging the shot, but not enough that I get settled in for long amounts of repetitive throwing. I prefer to have to go get them before I throw too many putts from one spot.

Multiple putters for practice makes practice more efficient. More reps in the same amount of time....or the same amount of throws in much less time. A chance for immediate correction of a flaw and feedback.

If you need to buckle down mentally, require yourself to meet a goal. With 5 putters, say, you must make 5-of-5 from 25', or 4-of-5 from 30', or whatever would be an improvement on your current level.

You can also toss a handful of putters around the green, in a semi-circle, and putt each one. No pre-determined spot, each putt's different, but still more putts in the same amount of time.

My advice is stay no more then 25 ft from the basket. 15-20ft is better. You want to practice making putts, not practice missing.

I try to do that but I do not have a lot of the same putter, so all of my throws are a little different.

practice putts you can make- you are trying to train your mind that you make all your putts, your body already knows how to throw a disc 30 feet.

I find good practice to be at a practice hole, and start a good 125-150 feet away. I then throw all my putters or midranges to the hole, wherever they lie is where I putt from. Basically taking your up shots. It helps on my mid and my putting at the same time, it also gives you different angles to go from. I don't see the benefit in standing in one spot putting 10 times.

If you are getting really close on the midranges, move back.

I do the same thing if there isn't anybody on the course behind me. I feel like the being in an actual putting situation helps and you still get several shots in. Not as much pure putting time, but real world experience is always valuable, and this gets more of that.

the benefit in standing in one spot and putting multiple times is building muscle memory and confidence.

I agree. I watched the putting seminar on youtube. A lot of it is confidence. Find a distance you can hit 50% of the time and throw that distance until you're hitting it 90% of the time. Then move back 5 feet and do it again.
You've got your own basket, so you're better off then I am on that one. I've been trying to putt for 15 minutes before a round to boost the confidence that I can make those shots, and then again for 15 minutes after just to help keep up the muscle memory. I think it's been helping. Good luck to you.

The more "quality" putts you can get in the better. However, I think it is important to be required to reset after each putt because this makes it more like what you would be doing in a round. Like other members if there are no others behind me on a course I throw a few putts from where my approach disc landed.

Latest posts