• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] To what extent do you throw your putters?

Do you throw your putting putters

• Only putt with them

Votes: 39 16.6%
  • Putts and upshots

Votes: 43 18.3%
  • Putts, upshots, and drives

Votes: 153 65.1%

• Total voters
I carry a putter. If I need to use a putter for any shot, that disc gets the nod.

I always carry a mix of Judges and Rhinos with at least two of each mold. Always have one used and one newer of each mold. Both are throwers and putters depending on wind/safe play.

I have 5 discs you could call a Putter in my bag today. Two Touches(one is all putts, nothing else) other will get some approach use.

A Sale I'm using for some approaches and have putted with when it is very windy.

And two Harps that I consider more of a mid than anything. Mostly approaches or longer shots , a lot off the tee from 220-250. I will Never putt with them.

My putting Anode, I use off the tee for under stable drives. Granted I may be switching Putting Putters.

I never drive with my putting putters. I'm funny like that I guess. I carry 2 ss wizards for putting only and a kc aviar and zone do the drive/upshot work.

I only throw my putting putters in a putting motion - sometimes that's a long jumper layup shot. Mostly though, I do not intend for them to touch the ground.

OP - is your bag small? or do you just want to put more drivers in? I'd say your approach discs do more work on the course and are worth the space they take up.

Ditto. I use a breaker for power drives and a Polecat for precision in addition to my putting putter.

I carry a lot of putters and don't use any one exclusively for putting. They all rotate for use off the tee, upshots and for putts.

When I'm in a Sole phase, I'll throw it off the tee. Vibram just doesn't beat up like plastic, so I don't worry about throwing it around. When I'm in a Gateway phase, I only use my putting putter for putting, and I carry a copy for upshots and drives.

Just curious, but those of you driving with your putters - how far are you driving?

I will use my putters to drive on very short holes but I didn't pick the 3rd option as there aren't many short enough holes for me to drive with my putter on frequently.

I carry a soft, medium, and hard pure. I mostly putt with them depending on the temperature but I'll throw them on upshots <100 foot range. As long as there is not too much danger of damaging them too bad. Other wise I'm throwing my opto pure. (any thing under 240 I'll usually use it.

I also throw a Champ Rhyno or Scale depending if I need skip or not. These are for shorter routes though.

I use different putters for different things. Lately, its gone something like a zone (OS short tee shots, windy day approaches, fh approaches, utility. Was a harp but the zone is much more comfortable. no putting), something drivable, like a chief (driving putter, approaches), and, of course, wizards (fan-grip approaches, putting. Not overly consistent power gripping the deep wiz. like to grip lock it often, hence the chief!).

Generally anything not too technical around 200 and under is reachable with a putter off the tee. (Got a few short courses here that all Id bring are putters...)

I used to only use my soles (my putting putters) for putts and upshots, but I did a ton of field work over winter and spring and got really good at driving them lazer straight to 220, so I started using them off the tee more this season.

I drive, approach, jump putt, and putt my putting putters. That being said I always have two in the bag and a bunch of backups I rotate in and out.

I wouldn't throw your putting putters,but for sure get the same molds and toy around with them as Driving Putters.Then you can start to figure out which ones are Overstable,Stable and Understable that you like. Me I just use 2 off the Tee and I've got them worked in to where I can cover many shots.

Driving with a Putter takes some time to really get the hang of,but it is worth it in the end.

Just curious, but those of you driving with your putters - how far are you driving?

I will use my putters to drive on very short holes but I didn't pick the 3rd option as there aren't many short enough holes for me to drive with my putter on frequently.

It's less about the distance, and more about not wanting the disc to fade.

I have 6 putters in my bag, 2 N Envys, 1 recycled Pure, premium jOKERI, Eraser Wizard and a 'medium' VooDoo. Every one of them gets driven with except my lighter weight Envy. Hells Bells, I have even thrown my Envys at trees on purpose just to break them in faster... and my Envy and Pure are my main putters.

Having said that, I would never throw my Wizard at a tree if I actually putted with it. Now, if they would only release the wizard in some nice premium plastic......

I simplified the hell out of my bagged putters by learning how to putt with a DX P2 (which was easy).

I still don't throw my putting putter though. I just use the same model for upshots.

Now with my small bag (14 or 15 discs) I can just bag two DX P2's one dedicated for putting and one for upshots/drives off the tee. But also can do putting warm up easily using both P2's on the practice basket.

Made the same mistake as other, I voted alt 3.
But I actually don't do anything other than put with my putter (a Judge Classic).
But if I can reach it with a putter I throw one, carry Pure Opto and Zero Hard and a Star Rhyno to cover my shots.

Ya, my vote is false too. Putting putters are only for putting. The title of the thread threw me off.

Latest posts