• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] To what extent do you throw your putters?

Do you throw your putting putters

• Only putt with them

Votes: 39 16.6%
  • Putts and upshots

Votes: 43 18.3%
  • Putts, upshots, and drives

Votes: 153 65.1%

• Total voters
If I can reach it with a putter, I will throw a putter.

That's about all there is to it.

As far as throwing your putting putter or not...the types of plastic you throw, and the courses you play make a big difference. If you're smashing into trees and rocks all day with your baseline putter, of course it's going to putt a little differently. But premium plastic that's mostly hitting softer surfaces (and chains) will be fine.

I voted all of the above, because I drive the same mold/plastic as my putting putter.
But regarding saving space in my bag, I save one slot by not carrying a back up putting putter (if I manage to loose mine, I can use one of my drive/approach putters to putt) but I never drive with my putting putter itself. I lost one not long ago, and its not worth it since I like having identical practice putters.

Regarding if you can reach it with a putter, throw a putter. I played like that for a long time and have recently changed my mentality to: If I can throw a putter there at %80 power I throw a putter. I can throw a mid at %70 more accurately than I can throw a putter %95.
I still cover most of 300' and in with a Mercy or Harp unless I need a skip, low ceiling, wind or sidearm.

Last edited:
I have a pair of twin huk-lab stamped Blend Wardens I use for putting ONLY, and I have production run Blend Wardens for throwing.

It's kind of a mental thing for me. I never wanna lose my putting putters. I feel confident with them in my hands and just like to think of all the great putts I've made with them before. I would hate to lose something that brings a little confidence to my game.

I'm not really picky about my putting putter. They all putt about the same. I pick my putter based off how it drives, and I just putt with that. So my putting putter and driving putter are the same. Right now the Wizard I putt with most often is pretty beat so it's more of my short turnover disc and I have another Wizard that is still nice and stable that I throw off the tee, but most of the time if I just threw the stable Wizard I just go ahead and putt with it since it's already in my hand.

I'm not really picky about my putting putter. They all putt about the same. I pick my putter based off how it drives, and I just putt with that. So my putting putter and driving putter are the same. Right now the Wizard I putt with most often is pretty beat so it's more of my short turnover disc and I have another Wizard that is still nice and stable that I throw off the tee, but most of the time if I just threw the stable Wizard I just go ahead and putt with it since it's already in my hand.

Yeah, if I'm 10 or 15 feet from the pin I'll pretty much just grab whatever I threw and just quick toss it in there. But outside of that I like to reach for the putting putter.

I've got a pair of putting Wizards. I don't drive with them at all. I have a handful of other Wizards for upshots and drives.

I love putting Atoms, but man do I miss being able to smash trees with my putting putter without worry (switched from putting N Envies). The Atom I only throw if it's a really short / open approach. Otherwise, I'm usually throwing the N Envy or a soft Swan.

I carry a ton of putters in my bag at all times:

2 Karbon Touches (putting only)
1 Liquid Touch (upshots, jump putts, short turnover approaches)
1 Tiger Line Claws (floaty upshots, short drives)
1 Neutron Envy (drives off the tee, get out of trouble forehands)
1 Eraser Scale (windy upshots/putts, drives with fades, short forehands off the tee)

I can get the Envy and Scale out pretty far, and have actually got the Claws out over 250 on a golf line as well. Putters are the most versatile disc in the game. Most players could do well throwing more putters.

I used to specifically pick a putter mold that I could putt and drive with it. Now, I typically like to drive/up with the Nova/P2 so it wouldn't really matter anymore. This has actually made me consider trying other putters.. but nah

I throw my backup putting putter on anything. I don't drive or upshot with my main putting putter, but the main and backup switch multiple times a round. If something significant happened to one of them on a drive or upshot, it would get pulled from the putting rotation.

I have 2 putting putters (Pro-D Banger GT) and they only get used for putting. I have a Ti Banger for stable drives off the tee and long putts. A 400s PA4 for straight drives and long approaches. ESP Zone for OS short to mid-range shots. I will putt with that Zone if the wind is 15mph+.

anything under 250' and I drive with my KC Aviar or N Ion. My sss wizard is just for putting. But if I can land within putting range with a putter or mid, I'll take the accuracy of a putter any day... unless its a line shaping drive where I need a hyzer or anny then Im going with one of my mids.

Nothing is as straight as a putter off the tee. I regret not throwing the Opto Pure more off the tee at league round today :|

Right now I carry 3-4 putters that are specifically for driving and upshots, and two that are dedicated putters. I still throw my putting putters on some <100' upshots, just because I know the way they fly and there's a low risk of damaging or losing them.

I don't make a distinction between putting and throwing putters. I understand why people do it, I just don't think it makes a significant difference to my game. I love to watch putters fly more than any other disc and I love when someone says "did you just throw a putter?"

Yeah, I love throwing my Envy off the tee and having people ask "was that a Roc?" No, that was my putter.

To the OP, I have a small bag that I carry 8 discs in. Only carry 1 putter as a do everything. When I carry my big bag, I have a soft N Envy that takes over most drives and approaches of my P Envy putting putter.

My main putting putter, a 170g Glow Wizard, is the oldest disc in my bag and also- or therefore- the most predictable. Why not throw it whenever I can?

I have one putter (DX XD) that's too US to drive with and only use it for long putts due to it's effortless glide. The rest I carry to drive with so they end up getting the bulk of the putting duties.

If I'm course exploring or playing casual rounds I won't carry a full set up. I'll usually putt with a putter regularly designated for just approaches to save room. If I'm participating Ina league or sanctioned/unsanctioned event I'll bring the full tourney set up with putting putters.