• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tobacco free = more disc golf!!

My biggest issue was the hand to mouth thing. I started snacking like crazy at first, but then I moved to gum and seeds. The physical addiction to tobacco products is over in less than 4 days, its the mental game that makes or breaks you.

I totally understand this aspect now more than before. Though I've never even puffed a cigarette once, I do occasionally smoke cigars...probably 8-10 per year on average. One week while on vacation with friends I realized we smoked cigars like 4 out of the 7 days and it was because night fell, we were just hanging out and they were around. It became a cool atmosphere of what we did more than the tobacco/nicotine itself.

BTW...without getting into it, that's why I disagree with certain arguments involving addition for those who puff clouds of a different color if ya catch my drift. Maybe the chemical addiction isn't there, but the mental and social addictions are 100% real.

No matter what it is though, keeping it in moderation will always leave extra $$$ for discing!

I smoke cigarettes. But i'm not a pack a day guy, just whenever I feel like it. I've been that way for about 7 years. It's a calming sensation that I actually enjoy on the course. If I'm playing by myself I usually only have 2. I'm in a rhythm and don't want to break it I won't have any. If I have a couple bad hole stretch then I might light one up. Also, if I'm playing with people I feel more inclined to smoke because of the wait before shots.

I never smoke while I'm playing the uphill holes, takes too much out of me. The first 3 holes at my home course are all uphill, so I wait till hole 4 or 5 to have my first one. If I'm not feeling a cig, sometimes I dip too. Sometimes that can get me a little too loopy though.

Also, if I don't take my medicine, then I won't even crave one all day. However, depending on how much I take I could smoke a whole pack.

Congrats on quitting! It is not easy to do. I smoked at least a pack a day for 13 years and when I met my future wife-I quit. Been 6.5 years since a cig and 5.5 years with that beautiful woman. My lungs are almost completely healed from all the damage that had been inflicted.

For you smokers, while I won't ask you to put out your cigarette at the course, please do not leave your cigarette butt on the course. My course isn't your ashtray!

I have not had a cig in 2 years. I used the Snuus to help get over the hump, and haven't even had one of those in months. Now I'm sensitive to cigs. I don't know how my wife put up with that nasty smell for so long!

Could anyone give me some advice here? Although I don't smoke, my girlfriend has for a little over a year. I'm trying to be supportive and I know she wants to quit, but seems unable to do so. Are there any tips on quitting or insight to what you need from friends and family when giving up? Any help here would be great because I care for her a great deal. Thanks ahead of time!

I think the only thing you can really do is let her know that you'll help her in any way you can and provide loads of positive support once she does try to kick the habit. Unfortunately that's about it. If she doesn't want to quit it doesn't matter what you do or say, it wont happen. I wish I had some magical solution to share with you but I don't. The key for you is not treating her quitting as your success or failure. There's no surer way to bring a load of fruitless frustration into your life than adopting someone else's addiction as your problem. It's difficult, to say the least, when it's someone you love, but in the end it's her burden to bear.

This Is What I Did...

1st) I quit when I had my 1st of 2 heart attacks...
That is "Shock Therapy", shows you what it does to your body and is enough reason for anyone who wants to live to quit...I was lucky enough to survive "2" heart attacks, YOU MAY NOT BE..., QUIT NOW B4 you get to join me in the heart attack club!!!!!!!!!!
I quit 2-4-2004...
I took up chewing "sugarless" gum...
Grab a piece when you get a craving...
Think about something else, find a distraction...
It gets easier...
I will say I still get cravings though, so, be diligent...

Could anyone give me some advice here? Although I don't smoke, my girlfriend has for a little over a year. I'm trying to be supportive and I know she wants to quit, but seems unable to do so. Are there any tips on quitting or insight to what you need from friends and family when giving up? Any help here would be great because I care for her a great deal. Thanks ahead of time!

1st) I quit when I had my 1st of 2 heart attacks...
That is "Shock Therapy", shows you what it does to your body and is enough reason for anyone who wants to live to quit...I was lucky enough to survive "2" heart attacks, YOU MAY NOT BE..., QUIT NOW B4 you get to join me in the heart attack club!!!!!!!!!!
I quit 2-4-2004...
I took up chewing "sugarless" gum...
Grab a piece when you get a craving...
Think about something else, find a distraction...
It gets easier...
I will say I still get cravings though, so, be diligent...

Gum. The original is still the best! There's now a pack of Doublemint in every place I frequent throughout my day.

....quiter.

Damn right I am. I smoked cigs for 30 years, stupid habbit. :thmbdown:
Whats realy nice is that my woman doesn't pull away from me when I want a kiss ;)
My car stil stinks tho, anybody got any suggestions on how to get rid of cig smoke smell out of a car?? I have tried them smelly tree things but once they quit working the smoke smell returns.. I think I'm gona buy a gallon of febreeze!!!!

Quitting smoking in order to buy more discs may be the best motivation to quit for yet...you are wise!

My car stil stinks tho, anybody got any suggestions on how to get rid of cig smoke smell out of a car?? I have tried them smelly tree things but once they quit working the smoke smell returns.. I think I'm gona buy a gallon of febreeze!!!!

Get it detailed. It's your only hope.

I quit smoking this past November - staying positive & keeping gum or peppermints around helped me through it. I also dipped until January then quit that as well... Unfortunately, I was having really bad cravings for a smoke, so I did buy a can dip, but I figured my kids can't get asthma from 2nd hand spit, nor will me or my clothes wreak of smoke when I get near another person.

As far as the car - it still stinks, but I heard if you leave a small tupperware container of vinegar on your dash for a few hours, it will pull out the smell. Leave the windows up, and let it bake in the sun. Then drive around w/the windows open to rid the car of the vinegar smell. Will be trying this within the next couple weeks.

And Congratulations! Quitting is extremely difficult, but keep your mind right & don't buy any!

Ecigs are the way to go. It allows you to get the nicotine, and you can still get the hand-mouth fixation, and the vapor looks like smoke. You gradually step down the nicotine until you can eliminate the nicotine together, and then do away with the ecig. I recommend getting one that allows you to add the juice to it yourself. It may be a bit expensive up front, but smokes aren't cheap either. I was smoking a pack a day. Been using the ecig for about a week. I immediately went down to one analog smoke a day, and now I am strictly on the ecig, using 12mg nicotine juice that I mix myself. It's cheaper, and keeps my mind off the analog smokes.

Edit: I've been on the ecig for a little over a week. I use a Provape-1

Last edited:
Cold turkey > any substitute.

If you can not do it cold turkey, you arent yet motivated enugh to quit.

E-cigarette user here; 67 days with no smoke. I was a pack-a-dayer for 35 years.

Nicotine is addictive, not carcinogenic. Smigles can be as smug and cynical as he wishes, but I'm not a smoker anymore.

I had my last cigarette 10 weeks ago today. I've get cravings here or there. I know I'm not out of the woods yet but I honestly can say I have no desire to smoke ever again. So even when I get those cravings I just ask myself if I want to go through this process again. The answer is always no. So I don't start back up. At least I haven't yet. I feel as though this will be a life long battle.

E-cigarette user here; 67 days with no smoke. I was a pack-a-dayer for 35 years.

Nicotine is addictive, not carcinogenic. Smigles can be as smug and cynical as he wishes, but I'm not a smoker anymore.

While it's not proven to be a carcinogen, it is still some nasty stuff:

Historically, nicotine has not been regarded as a carcinogen and the IARC has not evaluated nicotine in its standalone form and assigned it to an official carcinogen group. While no epidemiological evidence supports that nicotine alone acts as a carcinogen in the formation of human cancer, research over the last decade has identified nicotine's carcinogenic potential in animal models and cell culture.[59][60] Nicotine has been noted to directly cause cancer through a number of different mechanisms such as the activation of MAP Kinases.[61] Indirectly, nicotine increases cholinergic signalling (and adrenergic signalling in the case of colon cancer[62]), thereby impeding apoptosis (programmed cell death), promoting tumor growth, and activating growth factors and cellular mitogenic factors such as 5-LOX, and EGF. Nicotine also promotes cancer growth by stimulating angiogenesis and neovascularization.[63][64] In one study, nicotine administered to mice with tumors caused increases in tumor size (twofold increase), metastasis (nine-fold increase), and tumor recurrence (threefold increase).[65]

Though the teratogenic properties of nicotine may or may not yet have been adequately researched, women who use nicotine gum and patches during the early stages of pregnancy face an increased risk of having babies with birth defects, according to a study of around 77,000 pregnant women in Denmark. The study found that women who use nicotine-replacement therapy in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy have a 60% greater risk of having babies with birth defects, compared to women who are non-smokers.

Granted, I took this from wikipedia, but I originally got alerted to some of these effects from the studies themselves.

Cold turkey > any substitute.

If you can not do it cold turkey, you arent yet motivated enugh to quit.

All smugness anyone takes with the above post aside, he's right. Eventually if you want to quit you need to put down the crutches. Whether the crutches are e-cigs, nicotine patchs, nicotine gum, chew, whatever.

The physical addition to nicotine lasts around 72 hours. Give or take depending on how heavy of a smoker you are. The psycological addition lasts much longer and varies from individual to individual.

I've known people who have decided one day to quit and just up and quit. I've also known people who've quit for years only to start back up again with one hit, which turned into half a smoke, which turned into a cig, which meant you then bought a pack.

While using a smoking ceasation product will help you to not smoke cigarettes, it still puts nicotine in your body thus prolonging the physical addiction to the chemical. IMO the sooner you can go through removing that chemical from your body the sooner you'll actually be able to quit.

I'm sure this varies from human to human. I feel like the best decision I've made was quitting smoking. No matter how you do it. You'll be better off having quit.

If you want to quit. Do it. It will be hard but people will help you through it.

Also, being able to smell things, and fully taste things is effing amazing :D

Latest posts