• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tone Poles?

If you want to know about tone poles, you should definatly come out to Humboldt County, we have lots of tonepoles on courses. There are alot of diffrent ways to make tones, but the best I have found is the ones that one of our local disc golfers (Chainsaw) is making. They are made out of old fire extinguishers that have had the top cut off and put upside down on a wooden pole. I'll try to get some pics or a vid up soon so you can see what I mean. The sound they make is the best sound I think I've ever heard... better than chains.

Keep Hucking
-Chris UPDGA# 0001

would love to see this when finished!

Here is a link to a picture of a Tonal Pole from discgolfisland.com

http://www.discgolfisland.com/images/discgolf04030209.jpg

From what I see, it's nothing more than a 4 inch X 4 inch wooden pole cemented vertically into the ground with a section of stove pipe attached at the top. Obviously this sort of 'pole hole' would be less expensive to create would probably last for decades. I'm thinking an even better variation would be to take a section of chimney pipe (much larger diameter) for the pipe part as it would be truer to the size of a traditional disc golf basket; and I'm thinking that the additional 'layers' of a steel chimney pipe would have a better tonal aesthetic. T.F.P.L.! (Throw First, Pull Last!) EddieBTrue in Indiana

Here is a video of some guys using tone poles on a course:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XFRYepjCCk

Watched the vid and having never played with 'tone poles', I'd have to say that I'd prefer a basket with chains. Baskets seem more challenging and the poles look kinda cheesy or gimmicky. Maybe I should actually play a course with poles before I make up my mind though...

So was the guy's shot at the end considered an ace?

I guess that is what I find to be "cheesy". It seems like tone pole aces are probably more common. Imagine how many aces you'd have if you counted all the times your disc hit the basket but didn't go in.

A tone pole is significantly smaller than the full area of chains, you can argue about whether different sized tones are larger or smaller than the area of the chains that would actually catch a shot but they're not all that different imo, though the tone is more forgiving of coming in at a high speed or odd angle.

A tone pole is significantly smaller than the full area of chains, you can argue about whether different sized tones are larger or smaller than the area of the chains that would actually catch a shot but they're not all that different imo, though the tone is more forgiving of coming in at a high speed or odd angle.

That's an argument I'd like to see. Near as I can find, there isn't a "regulation" size for tone poles. I'd enjoy hearing what players who've played tone pole courses think is fair.

I'm thinking 10" wide by 20" tall.

Check out the targets at Wildapple in Wisconsin, he made them so they are as similar as possible in size to the catching area of baskets, and they look pretty cool. I thought it was just as much fun to play on them as on baskets.

edit: none of the pictures show them as they're all from the winter when the Justin Trails baskets hang out at Wildapple, I'll see if I can dig up a picture.

That's an argument I'd like to see. Near as I can find, there isn't a "regulation" size for tone poles. I'd enjoy hearing what players who've played tone pole courses think is fair.

I'm thinking 10" wide by 20" tall.

I'd rally up the aces!!
:hfive:

The PDGA Tech Standards provide some guidelines to help. The diameter of a chain support is 57cm +/- 4. If we consider the smallest disc allowed is 21 cm, the equivalent diameter of a tone target would be 57-42 (2x21) = 15cm +/- 4 to approximate the target width of chains. That's 6 inches +/- 1.5 inches. The chain assembly target height is 54cm max or up to 21 inches tall.

http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/PDGATechStandards_61510.pdf (See chart on bottom of page 6)

This thread gives me an idea for a homemade basket. Instead of chains you could suspend cut pieces of conduit (cheap) from heavy fishing line (cheap) and use fishing swivels (cheap) so they could spin in the wind and the line would not tear. it would basically be a large wind chime or a cross between a basket and a tone pole. You could hang it over one of those metal Oscar the grouch style trachcans or just use it for sound only.

My first attempt at a basket was like that. It didn't work as well as I thought.

A long time ago I was playing on a tube tone course and hit the pole on a 100'+ approach. I celebrated and got high fives from the guys I was playing with and went up to the basket after they made their approach shots. My putter was nowhere. After it hit the pole, nobody paid any attention to what the disc did. It must have come down on an edge and rolled away somewhere. So I made the putt and lost the disc. That is something that is harder to do on a pole hole.

I have never played on a pole hole course, but would be open to the idea. I think you have to be more accurate to hit a 4 inch pole rather than a basket.

Latest posts