• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tourny Question

Not any different than any other tourney, dont overthink it

The collared shirt usually is for NTs but some A-Tiers do make you wear them. I had to in INT in '08.

From the Competition Manual, Section 3.4

Competition Manual said:
D. The following dress code for all competitors will be enforced at all PDGA Elite Series/National Tour and Major Events. The PDGA also recommends that this dress code be enforced at Super Tour and lower tier events, but this decision lies solely with the Tournament Director:

An A-Tier is a Major Event.

Competition Manual said:
(1) All players in PDGA sanctioned competition and tournament staff are expected to dress appropriately and to maintain a clean and well-groomed appearance at all event sites and associated functions.

(2) All players must wear a shirt covering their upper chest area. A well-tailored shirt with a fold-down, mock turtle, v-neck, crew neck, Henley, or zippered collar, and with sleeves covering the part of the arm from the shoulder to the elbow (commonly known as the upper arm), shall be considered acceptable.

Women are also allowed to wear sleeveless shirts as designated above.

(3) No tee shirts will be allowed, except for competitors in the Junior and Amateur divisions during preliminary rounds only. Juniors and Amateurs shall not wear tee shirts during semifinal or final rounds. Crew neck or V-neck shirts made of high-performance or high-tech materials, such as Dry-Fit, Cool-Max, and others will be allowed.

Take note of the bold area. Ams can only were a tee shirt for preliminary rounds.

Competition Manual said:
(4) Shirts that hang down lower than the bottom hemline on the player's shorts shall be tucked in.

(5) No ripped shirts, shorts, pants will be allowed on the course. This includes unhemmed, torn or cut "vents" at the shirt collar.

(6) No offensive, profane, or obscene slogans or logos shall be allowed on any clothing. Junior players may not wear slogans or logos referring to alcohol or tobacco.

(7) This dress code will be in effect from start to finish at each event, including all tournament rounds.

Pretty sure major events are listed as M and not A tiers. I have never seen anyone in a t-shirt not be allowed to play an A-Tier. TD can always require certain dress code during the tourney.

I am about as green as it gets, but I think it would be fun to participate in some kind of tourney. Do I just look for the lowest tier tourney possible to play? I have no ranking yet, so I am really not sure how to get started, but I am a new PDGA member.

Is there some sort of "dg tourneys for dummies" document I can look at. :)

I wouldn't look for the lowest tier tourney to enter. Find a tourney that fits your location, schedule and budget. If it is a B-tier or above, you can expect a players' pack for playing. If it is just a C-tier, you probably won't get a player pack and typically the payouts are lower (but not always).

To aKeokuk Discer's comment above, A-tiers are Super Tour events, not majors.