• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Transitional Period bag advice

Pmoore

Just recently got more shots in my game and my bag seems small. Rhbh consistent distance a little over 315 feet.

Drivers
Monarch - Champion 178
SL - Star 172
Firebird - Champion 175

Midrange
roc+ - pro-r 165
buzzd

Putter
Pro Challenger

I am looking to add some more distance to my drives and maybe a mid range or 2. Any ideas?!

One of the best training tools is understable or neutral midranges and fairway drivers instead of using higher speed drivers (like the Monarch and SL). The Discraft Comet or the Innova Mako (and Mako3) are great neutral midranges that will help you improve your throwing form. Once you can realiably throw those, step up to a understable fairway driver like a Innova Leopard (or my favorite a Legacy Patriot).

I have a similar arm. It does not sound like you are brand new to the game, though the Comet idea below is a very solid plan. I am not sure you need any warp speed (12,13...) drivers.

A couple I like are:
Lat64 Gold Line Saint- fairly stable to slightly understable disc with great glide
Westside VIP Underworld- understable that holds a line with great glide
Innova Star TL- solid disc with a predictable stable fade

You may want to fool around with a couple different Buzzz (Z Line, SS, OS...)
I really like the Core by Lat64, good glide and distance, understable when you throw it that way.

Everyone is going to tell you about their favorite discs or company.
This is a very nice site to allow you to take a look at what discs are supposed to fly like.

http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com

Another vote for the Comet.

CHeck out the axiom theory. Its a new age comet which is much more user-friendly but still allows you to hone in your skills. I also suggest checking out an MVP tangent.

Do you drive with your putter much? If you can get that challenger out to 250-300 you might see an improvement in your faster discs too. I think a 7 speed disc might be a good idea vs the 9's and faster mids. Lots of good slightly understable options such as legacy Patriot, MVP Switch or Axiom Inspire.

No one disc is going to do anything magical. Keep in mind your firebird is very OS so its not going to get a lot of distance but more for control. Are you using a hyzer flip technique with your monarch? it should go pretty far and straight with a good hyzer release. It was the first "faster" driver I learned to control well.

Understable mid is a good idea. My favorite is the Fuse. For more distance, Saint, Valkyrie, Jade- all fairly easy to throw and have a nice S curve to them.

Are you using a hyzer flip technique with your monarch? it should go pretty far and straight with a good hyzer release. It was the first "faster" driver I learned to control well.[/QUOTE]

I love my my monarch and I do not flip it. Generally release flat and let it run flat with a slight fade or really muscle it and get a slight right hand finish with good distance. I am not new to the game, I consider myself pretty good and have lots of control I just realized recently that all I had been using were faster drivers and that I need to branch out.

Actually, I do throw a hyzer flip with my monarch I had just never heare that term before.

Since you're already throwing a 10 speed disc, you won't see much of a benefit from changing discs or buying a higher speed one distance wise. Maybe you could be more consistent with something else. But to gain distance you'll need to practice and refine your form until you get better if distance is your goal. Practice with mids/fairways as suggested above.

If you just want to score better you might consider an overstable putter for approach shots. They are predictable and easy to control.

Also, not that is really matters, if your Monarch is actually 178g it would be illegal in PGDA play. Max weight for that disc is 175.1g

Last edited:
I recommend a leopard and a teebird or two eagle x's and you beat one in to be flippy. As far as mids all I have right now is roc's and they work really well

Thanks for the help everybody! Started only driving with my roc+ and I can throw it just about as far as my monarch and way more accurately! Going to pick up an understable mid aswell here soon

I recommend a leopard and a teebird or two eagle x's and you beat one in to be flippy. As far as mids all I have right now is roc's and they work really well

+1 on this. Definitely would grab a teebird (or 3) and an understable fairway (leopard, beat teebird, etc, insert 10 other choices from other manufacturers).

If you like the way the roc feels in hand then get a comet in x it will feel like a roc and fly understable until you beat in your roc in fact I would also try and get a glow or kc pro roc for more overstable shots and that's the only mids you will need for a long time/ever

Last edited:
Ill put a plug in for the comet as well, but also consider the Tursas. For me at least, the Tursas feels light years better in my hand, and I've really improved throwing this disc. Especially from a stand still.

If you like the way the roc feels in hand then get a comet in x it will feel like a roc and fly understable until you beat in your roc in fact I would also try and get a glow or kc pro roc for more overstable shots and that's the only mids you will need for a long time/ever

+1 this
I have more Midranges (6) than any other slot. 2:1 Roc:Comet works for me. Rocs in Baseline, Comets in Premium Plastic.
Theory, Tursas, Fuse are all great options too!
Roc is king though :popcorn: