• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

traveling from Chicagoland to Kentucky looking for courses

n88n

Next weekend we are planning on heading down to the red river gorge near Slade, KY for a climbing trip. We are planning on playing stopping at Idlewild on the way down.

We are also making some time on the way back to play a course or two. Our drive back goes through northwest Kentucky then either east Illinois or west Indiana.

Can you guys think of any must hit courses along the way? I have been looking through the best courses by state on here and it seems that Lincoln Ridge Park in Independence, KY is the next best course and just happens to be by Idlewild.

any thoughts or ideas?

Lincoln Ridge is a great compliment to Idlewild. It's got some challenge, but mostly it's a big collection of fun shots and awesome terrain. I don't know anyone that doesn't have a great time there.

Lincoln Ridge is a great compliment to Idlewild. It's got some challenge, but mostly it's a big collection of fun shots and awesome terrain. I don't know anyone that doesn't have a great time there.

Thank you! I saw that course on the "Most Favorited" list on this site. It is nice to get some confirmation with current info.

Heading down there this weekend myself, so I'll let you know what I like best. Right now we plan on hitting Oggwood on the way down, then maybe trying to get in the Navy Park Course all on Friday. Then hit Cedar and Sevan Oaks on Saturday and then both of the Cane Ridge courses Sunday before we head back.

Heading down there this weekend myself, so I'll let you know what I like best. Right now we plan on hitting Oggwood on the way down, then maybe trying to get in the Navy Park Course all on Friday. Then hit Cedar and Sevan Oaks on Saturday and then both of the Cane Ridge courses Sunday before we head back.

how did your trip go?

so we ended up playing Idlewild on the way down. Then we played Lincoln Ridge on the way back. Both courses were amazing. Idlewild was longer and harder while Lincoln Ridge was shorter in comparison but still challenging. If i lived in the area I would play Lincoln Ridge all the time and occasionally play Idlewild when i wanted my but kicked. If I was passing through and could only play one it would e Idlewild. I have some memories and some video of playing certain holes and it think it will make watching the tournament coverage so much more fun.

how did your trip go?

First, I must have posted this in the wrong thread. I went to Tennessee, but the trip was amazing. We were in the Nashville area and played 6 courses in three days. If you are ever in Tennessee I highly recommend hitting the Nashville area. We played Oggwood, really impressive super fun private course and Ethan Page, a small pitch and putt but was still a lot of fun on Friday. Then we played Seven Oaks, Cane Ridge Advanced, we lovingly have dubbed it Big Daddy Cane, and Cane Ridge Short, aka Baby Cane on Saturday. The we finished the trip with Cedar Hill on Sunday. The only complaint on any of the courses, is the strange two basket set up at Seven Oaks. There are two distinct sets of baskets, one really old silver baskets, maybe like mach 2s, and then a newer orange set of DGA baskets, but they switch all over the place. Like the first 6 holes the silver baskets are the shorts, then you play three added holes with only one basket, then after that sometimes the silver is the short and sometimes the orange is the short. Then I think somewhere towards the end there is a blue basket lol. The course itself is top notch though so it made up for the weird baskets. IMO it would be much better if all of the silvers were the shorts and all of the orange ones were the longs.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge though. Your assessment was spot on, lincoln is much more of an everyday type course, where Idlewild is more of a championship level, play it when you are ready for a challenge type course.

Last edited:
I've played both since 2000 and both are awesome in different respects. Idlewild is humbling and Lincoln Ridge is flat out fun. I'm so jealous of my brother, as he lives 2 minutes from LR and works 3 minutes from Idlewild!

Latest posts