• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trex needs HELP!!!! PLEASE!!!

Trex1029

I have been practicing and playing for around 3-4 months now. I am pretty decent 100' feet in and can get up and down around 80% of the time. But on longer holes I get crushed because it takes me 3-4 shots to get close enough to putt. I have been watching videos and reading articles and trying different techniques and cannot drive the disc further than around 200'. It's maddening!!!! I played will people older than me by 15 years and they are driving it further with less effort. Generally, I can control most of my shots around the course, but my lack of distance makes it VERY difficult to score well. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

https://youtu.be/KNLxHRMnxB4
https://youtu.be/uKBh9tQsePo

Ill save the form critique for the experts.

Out of curiosity what disc are you throwing for max distance? When learning, disc selection can be a very important aspect of learning good form and achieving better distance

Disc selection

I have a INNOVA Valkyrie and wraith. Also have a star destroyer that I can only throw overhand. More comfortable with the wraith use Valkyrie for forehand drives.

The wraith and destroyer are too much for your arm speed right now. I would suggest discs with speeds of no higher than 7 with a stable to understable flight. I would keep the focus on trying to make them fly straight. You'll notice gradual distance as your arm gets comfortable. Keep the nose down. You won't stall out.

Do you play baseball? If so, which way do you swing?

Good job with the two views. From the back view you are stepping open. You should be striding laterally at the target, and land with your stance roughly so your rear foot's toes can trace a line through your front foot's heel. You are stepping forward, then around and landing "straight"/parallel to your target path. This opens you up so you'll shank shots way right if you throw properly and instead attribute it to a "griplock", when really it's just a poor set up direction. Plus you won't be staying closed and lose a lot of power that way. A left handed baseball hitter's power zone is right field, not center.

This video has tons of info, but what I'd pay attention to is the horse stance thing. Right now you are leaving your back leg behind...the knee doesn't move at all. There's no drive/shift. And you pre-open the front foot as it comes down. Watch the upper arm angle as well, you bring the disc behind your torso in your backswing. You need to give it room to swing through around your body.

Also, make sure your disc is aligned nose down relative to your forearm. Nothing kills distance and accuracy like a nose up grip.

VEurTH6.png

Thank you for the HELP

I was headed out the door when your analysis came in. Yes, I played baseball and batter right primarily, but could also bat left. I am very thankful because I love this game, but it's frustrating when I can't even throw 250'. I will certainly look at what you have said closely and practice for a couple of weeks with video then post again. I appreciate the feedback as I was considering giving it up.

The wraith and destroyer are too much for your arm speed right now. I would suggest discs with speeds of no higher than 7 with a stable to understable flight. I would keep the focus on trying to make them fly straight. You'll notice gradual distance as your arm gets comfortable. Keep the nose down. You won't stall out.

I have a Tee Bird. Do you think that would work for a driver for the time being?

I have a Tee Bird. Do you think that would work for a driver for the time being?

The teebird is a good disc as long as it not extremely over stable. Work on keeping the nose down with a clean pull through and you will start to notice better distance. The Valk is not a bad disc to throw in the field to get the nose down feel.

I was headed out the door when your analysis came in. Yes, I played baseball and batter right primarily, but could also bat left. I am very thankful because I love this game, but it's frustrating when I can't even throw 250'. I will certainly look at what you have said closely and practice for a couple of weeks with video then post again. I appreciate the feedback as I was considering giving it up.

Perfect, the swing is like a lefty baseball swing. Right/bottom hand only. Even go through the baseball swing with a hammer or wrench or something shorter than a bat so it's easier to swing one handed. You should feel keeping the bat head back and then leveraging it through the zone/ball in front of your lead foot. Power it to right center. This is like what you'll do with a disc, keep the hand on the outside edge of the disc when it's near your chest just like you keep the bat handle forward and bat head back. Try to feel the weight of the disc and leverage it through that hit zone, don't just try to get it moving real fast from the backswing forward.

Also this will help you stay in balance in a batter swing type of situation, instead of being tempted to do big or fast X-steps. X-step is to set up and load, not for speed.

Thank you slow, I really appreciate the great feedback. Going to put in some work drilling and throwing and then come back at you with some more video in a couple of weeks if that's cool. Thanks again!!!

Thanks sidewinder22,

The left center power line would be for a flat distance shot that will fade left at the end?
Flat is not a distance line. Best distance shots are thrown to upper deck and hold a slight turnover through the apex so they fade/glide out straighter/longer. Your "power" or efficiency will dictate how high you will be able to get the disc to turnover with nose down through the apex.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/distancelines.shtml

Trex, feel free to ignore any sidebars if they get too off topic rather than help...

But as I'm trying to get my form better I always want to clarify things when I don't understand.

Left center for any kind of distance line(RHBH/lefty batter). Right center would be only pure hyzer line.

If you were to have a parallel/in line stance rather than closed, would the release not be toward right center for a lefty batter/RHBH? I agree if I am bombing a shot I will power the disc to the left of intended path on either a hyzer flip turnover line or flex shot for a full flight. I was trying to describe that a closed stance lets you throw a "straight" shot, whereas in a lefty baseball swing a "straight" stance would power a hit to right center, generally. Obviously pitch location, hitter tendencies, etc.

But...are you meaning your release point is different from left to right depending on if you are throwing anhyzer/flat/hyzer? Say you did the exact same stride/runup direction and looked at the path of the disc 50' out of your hand, are you saying that they would be on a different release path depending on anny/flat/hyzer? Or, are you just saying that your aim point is different due to flight paths of these shots.

If you were to have a parallel/in line stance rather than closed, would the release not be toward right center for a lefty batter/RHBH? I agree if I am bombing a shot I will power the disc to the left of intended path on either a hyzer flip turnover line or flex shot for a full flight. I was trying to describe that a closed stance lets you throw a "straight" shot, whereas in a lefty baseball swing a "straight" stance would power a hit to right center, generally. Obviously pitch location, hitter tendencies, etc.

Or, are you just saying that your aim point is different due to flight paths of these shots.
Mostly talking about aiming and stance alignment. Imo easier to think about tossing the bat instead of trying to swing and hit the ball unless its on a tee maybe. Toss the bat to left or center or right field and align your stance to it.

Progress?

I have been drilling quite a bit with a hammer and I have a tee ball bat I have been using as well. I felt really good until I threw today. Didn't film. It was ALOT EASIER to throw 200' , but I could only hit 250' like twice. I can hit 200' all day long with all my discs including my putter. I was hitting 180' starting at my pec. I DONT GET IT! I realize I have some more work to do obviously.

Easier is good.

At your distance you might get a day or two where you gain some distance all at once. But often things just feel easier when you change something, so you know you're on the right track. Over a couple of sessions the muscle memory builds and you can put more into it, and the distance will increase a bit until you hit the wall with that version of form.

If you are frustrated that you aren't throwing farther, often people try harder and then it causes you to tense up and throw worse. Just remember that easier is better, and that any changes that make things feel easier is still a step ahead. They will help you throw more consistently and farther overall, after it's muscle memory.

And film next time for sure. Even if you are throwing bad, take a video on the phone and look at it during the session. Sometimes you'll realize what you're doing wrong right away and can fix it over the next few throws. The more you've done this the faster you can identify your own typical bad habits that make you have off days, and then the off days become far less frequent.