• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Trilogy discs that flies like a Mantis and Vulture

auzcar

Birdie Member
I'm looking to try out a few Trilogy discs to see if I can replace my Vulture and my Mantis. The reason I'm doing this is 90% because Trilogy is a lot more available in my area and I want to support a local business.

The Vulture is probably not a problem, I have a order for a Getaway and a Convict and I feel like one of those will fly close enough to a Vulture?

The Mantis I'm not sure about though. I love this disc and in my hands it's really workable. Hyzerflips to straight, turnovers and it even holds a floaty, penetrating hyzer well enough if I really put some angle on it. I like that it's so easy to work over but still has a very reliable fade. It's also sneaky long. I've looked at the Maverick, Vandal and Escape. What Trilogy disc do you think would fly the closest?

To replace the Mantis, maybe the Stag. I never quite clicked with the Mantis. Stag's are buttery smooth and workable. Maverick is my Leopard clone basically. Always bag at least 1 Maverick.

Getaway is probably pretty close to a Vulture or Thundy. I personally bag a Vulture. Or did at least. I've just never thrown enough Thunderbirds to form a opinion.

I will add Stag to the list :)

I think I'm gonna buy a few of the discs that seems close and hit the field.

I have not thrown one but I think the Falchion would be closest. I've thrown Saints and Furys and the Falchion is suppose to be in-between. Saint probably too stable, Fury too flippy.

Getaway and Maverick, Fury, or Hatchet.

Getaway has a wider rim than the Vulture and requires a little more to get up to speed.

I've thrown the Hatchet and it's understable. While not having thrown the Fury or Maverick, I imagine the Maverick is closer to the Mantis based on some of the reviews I've read.

Mantis is close to an Innova Valkyrie so what you need is a disc made for the mini S shot. Just ask what is the mold for a mini S shot from The Latitude 64 trilogy.

I will add Stag to the list :)

I think I'm gonna buy a few of the discs that seems close and hit the field.

and if you do not find a use for the old discs you tested, I bet somebody is willing to buy the discs you tested either on here in the Discs/Gear for Sale/Trade section or on E-bay.

For the Mantis I would say: Goldline Saint, Stag, or Escape.

Haven't thrown the Vulture but I would say Culverin, Longbowman, Fortress, or maybe a getaway?

Getaway for the vulture for sure. Get a fuzion one, it'll be stable to start but it doesn't take much wear for them to start showing a little flip/turn

When you say local......are you referring to a local brick and mortar store? Or do you live over in Europe?

I live in Sweden :)

I tried out a few discs that I received today.

A Lucid Getaway and a Lucid Convict to maybe replace my Z Vulture
and
A Lucid Vandal and a Lucid-X Maverick to maybe replace my Z Mantis.

The Convict was by far the most understable of the bunch, which is pretty weird looking at the numbers... It was turning substancially on most hard throws and I had to hyzer flip it to throw straight. Not a bad discs but clearly I got a dud or the numbers are off. Felt almost like a longer Leopard.

I liked how it flew but I'm finding it hard to trust it when the numbers are so off, what will the next fly like? Really likedd the Getaway and Vandal though.

I was just going to suggest the vandal to replace your mantis. find them very similar in flight.

The Getaway felt more OS than the Vulture but pushed forward the whole way, I think this in Lucid paired with a more understable plastic could work really well.

The Vandal wasn't as US as the Mantis but it flew really far and really straight for me. Will have to try this one more, not 100% sure it fits in the Mantis spot, but maybe...

I only threw them 5-6 times today and will throw them head to head with the Vulture and Mantis tomorrow, I didn't have them with me today. Also have a Explorer and Escape I will try tomorrow.

The Getaway felt more OS than the Vulture but pushed forward the whole way, I think this in Lucid paired with a more understable plastic could work really well.

The Vandal wasn't as US as the Mantis but it flew really far and really straight for me. Will have to try this one more, not 100% sure it fits in the Mantis spot, but maybe...

I only threw them 5-6 times today and will throw them head to head with the Vulture and Mantis tomorrow, I didn't have them with me today. Also have a Explorer and Escape I will try tomorrow.

A Biofuzion Getaway will give you that beat-in Getaway flight, especially if you go a few grams lighter than your Lucid. That Escape will fit between the Vandal and Getaway (closer to the Vandal). To me, the Escape and Saint are pretty similar and the Stag is a hair slower than those two molds, but again a similar stability.

If the Vandal was just a little bit too stable, then I'd recommend trying a Hatchet.

How about the River for the Mantis? I used to throw the River a lot, then I went to all Discraft and find myself using the Mantis for that shot.

A Biofuzion Getaway will give you that beat-in Getaway flight, especially if you go a few grams lighter than your Lucid. That Escape will fit between the Vandal and Getaway (closer to the Vandal). To me, the Escape and Saint are pretty similar and the Stag is a hair slower than those two molds, but again a similar stability.

If the Vandal was just a little bit too stable, then I'd recommend trying a Hatchet.

I actually got a Biofuzion Getaway as well, will throw it today :)

I think that the Vandal might work, I was in my work clothes and just threw a few throws after work. We'll see how it goes today.

How about the River for the Mantis? I used to throw the River a lot, then I went to all Discraft and find myself using the Mantis for that shot.

I prefer the wider rims of 9 speeds, at least 8. They fit a lot better in my hand and I feel I get more control over the release. The River is definitely on my list though if these doesn't work out.

Latest posts