• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] Trilogy Thinning The Herd of Plastic Blends

kw83028

* Ace Member *
Trilogy is discontinuing some plastic blends....

Fluid, Frost, Elasto
Supersoft, Megasoft

As a retailer, here, it makes sense.

59d298ba-ad2c-4ab0-ab4c-4e1e1a8b416b.jpg

Interesting. As someone who has bought a LOT of Trilogy plastic, I have never owned a disc in any of those.

Guess I need to stock up on my favorite Elasto blends... I like that plastic a lot. I've only had one Megasoft, and my kid loved it, but they warp like hell.

From a business perspective I get it, but I will be sad to see Elasto leave.

I don't throw any trilogy at this point, but did those plastics not sell well? Or more realistically were scratched from the lineup in order to allow for more runtime of more popular plastics?

I guess I see this more of a move to circumvent the inventory bottlenecks?

Yeah I totally get it from having 100 different plastic names across the 100 different molds. But it's too bad about the Elasto type of plastics. They were marketed as grip blends, even though the texture felt the same (just gummier), where in reality they were the beefy blend I think. If you could make one generalization with Trilogy plastics, it's that the Elastos were more OS.

I've never felt them but Fluid/Frost/Elasto are like FLX or G-Star, yeah? I love my FLX Zone but not a fan of mids and drivers in this floppy plastic.

FLX is used more in colder climes I hear, so I would've though Trilogy, being in Sweden, would be pushing these plastics more.

I don't know FLX, but it's not like GStar. It's like the gummiest/most flexible Lucid style plastic. If you run your finger across Gstar it feels more grippy than star, even before you flex it. You can tell it will scrape up a bit easier. With Elasto/etc. stuff the surface feels the same as Lucid, it's just more flexible when you dig into it. I've never thrown it in cold, don't know how much difference it would make.

There were a couple times where I WANTED to try a disc in Elasto/Fluid/Frost because of the more overstable flight for a couple molds. It seemed like they were never available though. Either there wasn't a stock run, just fundraiser discs that were expensive, or else they were always all sold out. I feel like their efforts with those plastics were pretty half hearted. If they had actually wanted to get people throwing them, they would have done stock runs, more marketing, etc.

Maybe their testers (pros and disc nerds) didn't like that blend which is why they never pushed it much. Lots of pros and disc nerds dislike GStar too, but I still see a lot of GStar in bags on the course so Innova's marketing seems to have worked in that case. Or maybe they really did just want to free up capacity for more popular blends.

Interesting. As someone who has bought a LOT of Trilogy plastic, I have never owned a disc in any of those.

As someone who has bought, thrown and bag a lot of Trilogy molds, I never even liked any of these plastics. Only one I never tried was megasoft before I dont like throwing wet paper plates.

I don't throw any trilogy at this point, but did those plastics not sell well? Or more realistically were scratched from the lineup in order to allow for more runtime of more popular plastics?

I guess I see this more of a move to circumvent the inventory bottlenecks?

I think you are correct on both fronts. A low seller that is scratched to allow more room for new stuff coming in the future.

Dang! I love the Elasto/Frost/Fluid plastic. It allows me to throw the same mold but with added stability. Gonna miss this stuff.

I really would have preferred to have seen BT Hard and everything but Elasto disappear. I was eagerly awaiting more Elasto molds and a Megasoft Crown; I've only bought those plastics for everything except putting putters (BT Medium).

It would have been nice to see Westside try out Elasto in a workhorse instead of only their longest meathooks and most understable discs, before giving up on it.

I have a couple of Fluid Wardens. The plastic was/is tough and durable, and good quality. I went to Fuzion (Fluid was softer than I like), but I'm holding the Fluid Wardens as backups or perhaps for play in colder temperatures.

I do notice that the plastics being discontinued are the softer plastics. I know some here prefer soft plastics, but it appears that firm(er) plastics keep the masses happy...

I have found that despite many of the Soft plastics touted as winter blends, my sweaty hands grip them well when it's 95 and very humid.

I won't miss the Frost, Elasto, etc. They never had the glide of Opto or Gold.

I can't blame them.

Kinda surprised more companies don't do this. Avoid the cheesecake factory menu issue.