• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Twin Cities Winter 2014 Guide

It has been a mild January in SE Minnesota - I've been able to play almost every day. Not enough snow to worry about losing discs.

Stupid weather for always checking my calendar before dumping on me. It knew I signed up to play the Winter Carnival on Sunday. Saturday is supposed to be really nice, maybe a little wet on the ground, but otherwise warm and relatively snow free. I could throw my normal discs. Overnight we are supposed to received 2-4 inches of snow which is going to completely change the complexion of the course. I may have to ribbon-up some more discs.

The weather ALWAYS does this; taunts me when I cannot play with really nice weather and then craps out just in time for me to go out. I was really looking forward to a non-winter winter round this year because I am trying to gel with my normal discs during a (semi) competitive round. Unfortunately duct tape does not stick well to Lucid/Opto/VIP and BioFuzion. My Gstar, it is next to impossible to get duct tape off, making them ideal winter discs, but they just do not fly the same. There are no replacements for my Harps, Truths, and Swords; the three discs I would drive with on the majority of the holes.

Was a beautiful day or there for y'all

Blue Ribbon Pines is the best winter course. It costs to play, but the tee boxes are always cleaned and if the show is deep, the fairways are plowed.

There's also an ice bowl in albert lea on saturday, but I'm boycotting because they have one of the best courses in the state and aren't going to play it, they (the crabby old guy in charge) would rather play tall grass *yawn* twice.

But they usually have good payouts - one division, entry fee is a couple cans of food, 1st place walks away with like $80, paid out 10 places or something (definitely could change this year with change in management, but I know for a fact that they have the payout $$ ready to give out to whoever wants to show up and play well).

What is the course you think they should play?

Maybe I'll make the trip down there and play it myself! Should be fairly snow free round from the snow cover map :)

They should be playing Oak Island - there might be snow patches, but mostly snow free. The crew out there has been taking very good care of the course, all the tee pads are in prime shape. You must park in the lower parking lot in the Tall Grass parking lot (which is where all of the action will be starting around 10am. But walk down the road past the closed gate and you should have the entire Oak Island to yourself all day long (there still could be an uprising and overthrow of grumpy old guy and they all storm off to play oak island, but seems unlikely...)

Latest posts