• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ultimate

I tried ultimate, and thought I would really like it, but coming from basketball background, ultimate was too big of an adjustment for me. Peace-loving ultimate people were getting pissed off at me for being too physical -- boxing out and trying to rip the disc out of their hands and elbowing for position and so forth -- just natural stuff for basketball. But I found it was difficult to avoid falling into those habits, having played hoops for many many years. Maybe more serious ultimate players are OK with a little physical play, but the games I got in were way too non-confrontational for my taste.

F or people coming from other team sports where the players are mixed on the field (not volleyball or baseball), the biggest adjustment is the playing style that you talk about. No double teaming the thrower, no straddling the thrower's pivot leg, and other rules that you should learn (there aren't many). You also have to watch for people who take advantage of the rules (e.g. taking that third step after the catch so you can clear the defender). You also need to change some of your instincts - if you are back on a 2-on-1 you can ignore the guy who catches the disc because he isn't going anywhere - you need to stay with the free runner until you get some help. It is self-refereed and most guys honor the rules. The physical part is usually in the end zones when you have multiple players vying for the final catch/defend. That's where you get a lot of collisions and also get to show off your ballerina moves. And yes, gratuitous diving to make catches is a badge of honor.

I haven't run that much in years. I think the game is cool, but man I was winded. I'm gonna suck it up and go back again next week. Everyone was real cool and I was just accepted as part of the crew.

The pick up game was all young kids in shape and could run for days. I almost feel that I have to take up running to hang out there.

Who ever said run was on the money.

Anyone out there play ultimate as well as disc golf? I am going to my first pickup game on Monday to try it out. I have never thrown an ultimate disc but have experience with regular whamo type discs and midnight flyers.

I live in Michigan and the winters kill the disc golf game, so my thought is to take up indoor ultimate once the snow flies.

Just looking for any feedback around the game or experiences to be good fast and not mess up the dg game.

Only reason I really started playing disc golf was because I got heavy into Ultimate and wanted to add more frisbee sports to my repertoire.

Ultimate discs are understable by nature though, so getting used to that is the biggest challenge. Gotta throw everything on a hyzer. And flicks with an Ultimate disc are harder to throw than a disc golf disc.

I love that game. It'll definitely get/keep you in shape!