• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

UltiWorld: About those disc golf Meccas...

Worthless article. Clearly mecca is between Charlotte and the Twin Cities. You cannot define mecca on a state level, it must be a specific metro.

Not worthless.

It's easier to identify potential metro areas that are major disc golf hubs when you identify the states they reside in. Plus, it's not like any of us reading these boards or ultiworld don't know what those metro areas are anyway.

It's official. Michigan wins.

Disc-Golf-Activity-Index.png

It's pretty weak.

As if a state is one place, or state borders restrict players.

Charlotte (NC) and Augusta (GA) are right on the SC state line---but all their numbers to their respective states.

Or PDGA tournament play equals tournament play (see Southern Nationals or NEFA).

Or, for that matter, that Quantity makes a Mecca, not Quality.

Mecca should define a cluster of great disc golf courses and everything that goes along with that in a small geographic area. Usually (but not always) that correlates around a metro area.

And we can debate boundaries all we want to, but one thing is for sure. State lines shouldn't be breaking such clusters up.

Mecca should define a cluster of great disc golf courses and everything that goes along with that in a small geographic area. Usually (but not always) that correlates around a metro area.

And we can debate boundaries all we want to, but one thing is for sure. State lines shouldn't be breaking such clusters up.

And state lines do not constitute a "cluster".

I would buy the state line thing if I could get a good deal on a used rocket ship.

In CA, distance from Eureka courses in the north to San Diego courses in the south - 765 miles.

I would buy the state line thing if I could get a good deal on a used rocket ship.

In CA, distance from Eureka courses in the north to San Diego courses in the south - 765 miles.

And I can drive from Charlotte to Chester State Park in 40 minutes and no one includes that course in Charlotte discussions. *shrug*

I noticed my home state did pretty well. Alaska may have a few really great courses, but a majority of them are simple school district PE type courses.

An interesting look although not a perfect way of determining a mecca....but still cool to see.

I'm curious how NY would fair if you were to axe the NYC area as that is greatly distorting our population #s and I can't imagine it is adding a proportionate amount of courses/events/players.

States are pretty horrible as a means of comparing anything with a geographic component.

Because if a Muslim travels to Saudi Arabia in general it doesn't count as the Hajj. Mecca is a city, a specific place, not a region.

Yeah if we went really literal I guess Steady Ed would be our prophet and his first designed course (still in existence I guess) would be the real Mecca. I guess that would be Brahan Spring Park in Huntsville, Alabama.

So who's ready to hajj to Huntsville, Alabama? :|

Yeah if we went really literal I guess Steady Ed would be our prophet and his first designed course (still in existence I guess) would be the real Mecca. I guess that would be Brahan Spring Park in Huntsville, Alabama.

So who's ready to hajj to Huntsville, Alabama? :|

Cool! I've already done hajj, then. Lived in Huntsville for a few months years back. Played Brahan Springs and the Arsenal courses while I was there.