• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

UnCalled For Foot Fault

I'd call him on every little thing I saw. Foot faults, courtesy violation, not holing out properly, I would make it my personal mission to make his round miserable...

What the db is doing is called gamemanship. It's not cheating or a courtesy violation

To op, at some point the new player will have to learn both the exact rules and dealing with db's. Personally I'd offer my input to any new player that isn't familiar with the rules/procedures, before the db gets a chance.

"Players are expected to call a violation when one has clearly occurred. Calls must be made promptly."

sounds like, from Horseman's description, that he is neither calling a clear violation nor calling them promptly. That's not gamesmanship, that's just being a douche and certainly not granted by the rules.

Gamesmanship is when you play Mario Party with your friends and team up on your little brother on a mini-game he is really good at

I'd call him on every little thing I saw. Foot faults, courtesy violation, not holing out properly, I would make it my personal mission to make his round miserable...

in turn you would make yours and every one else's rounds miserable

He does sound like a jerk. Probably not anything that's breaking the rules, but still a jerk.

What if you approached the beginning of the round like this: " Hey guys, just so you know, I've played with _____ before and he has a habit of pointing out foot faults to players throughout the round. Let's go over what a foot fault is and the correct procedure for calling a foot fault before we start our round and agree to call (and second) them when we see them."

Make it real obvious you're on to him, but don't accuse him of doing anything wrong. Take the high road, but make it obvious you're not going to let him play his little game. If he tries the "I'm not calling it, just want to mention..." BS, then remind him you all agreed to call and second them when you see them. If he calls someone and nobody seconds it, then it doesn't matter.

Just by me telling the people that he does it before the round takes care of a lot of these issues and people just blow it off for the most part. I just know that one of my good friends and fellow team mate got called out twice in one round by him. The first was a 1 foot tap in and the second was like a 30 footer, that he made and then stood there and made it obvious that he did everything properly, and then still got called. This right here is the only instance that I know of that he actually called someone on a foot fault. It obviously didnt get seconded because it wasnt a foot fault.

Just by me telling the people that he does it before the round takes care of a lot of these issues and people just blow it off for the most part. I just know that one of my good friends and fellow team mate got called out twice in one round by him. The first was a 1 foot tap in and the second was like a 30 footer, that he made and then stood there and made it obvious that he did everything properly, and then still got called. This right here is the only instance that I know of that he actually called someone on a foot fault. It obviously didnt get seconded because it wasnt a foot fault.

That example is a willful attempt to circumvent the rules by trying to get another player, who did nothing wrong, penalized. Its grounds for DQ

So TD's and league directors in your area actually let this guy play? Why don't you bring it up to them and get this joker banned until he can prove to play nice?

"Players are expected to call a violation when one has clearly occurred. Calls must be made promptly."

sounds like, from Horseman's description, that he is neither calling a clear violation nor calling them promptly. That's not gamesmanship, that's just being a douche and certainly not granted by the rules.

Gamesmanship is when you play Mario Party with your friends and team up on your little brother on a mini-game he is really good at

in turn you would make yours and every one else's rounds miserable

No, that's well within he parameters of Mario Party. Game is specifically designed to allow teaming up, therefore I'd say that's just good strategy. Farting is more akin to gamemanship imo.

Back on topic, there's no specific rule against db like acts such as this. Littering, smoking, searching, distractions.....sure, but nothing about bad attitudes, bad uncalled violations, bad breath.

Fwiw op, these mind games make me smile. It reminds me who's winning ;)

Has anyone bothered to ask this guy what exactly they did wrong when he gives them these "warnings"? Like, did he see them step on their mini or were they off to the side of their mark or too far behind it or did they commit a falling putt or what? The OP says that this guy pulls his stunt on anyone who is new to playing with him even if they are not new to the game. If these players are veterans who know the rules and follow the rules, it would stand to reason that they'd want to know exactly what this guy is seeing so they can correct it. And if his argument is that he's only trying to help the affected player, then again identifying what the player did wrong is important. If he can't do that, then he should be told to stuff it.

Has anyone bothered to ask this guy what exactly they did wrong when he gives them these "warnings"? Like, did he see them step on their mini or were they off to the side of their mark or too far behind it or did they commit a falling putt or what? The OP says that this guy pulls his stunt on anyone who is new to playing with him even if they are not new to the game. If these players are veterans who know the rules and follow the rules, it would stand to reason that they'd want to know exactly what this guy is seeing so they can correct it. And if his argument is that he's only trying to help the affected player, then again identifying what the player did wrong is important. If he can't do that, then he should be told to stuff it.

This was my very first thought 5 pages ago (I know I can increase my posts per page... :p)

The very first words from my mouth would be, "How did I fault?"

If can tell me why, then we're cool. I'll re-throw. If he walks away like it sounds, I'd be inclined to ignore him during the round and kick his ass afterwards.

That said, I do know some folks I can Jedi mind-trick by simply bringing up rules as we walk to the next hole... like, "Hey man, you really aren't allowed to flip your disc over to mark the lie." or "Hey dude, I know you were mad about that spit out, but you didn't really hole out. I'm not going to be a dick, but some will in major events. Just be careful"

I know one guy I play with a lot that if I casually mention REAL violations, he falls apart. That could make me a dick just like this fellow especially since I didn't ENFORCE the rule myself. But hey, these guys are my friends so the casual warning seems fitting to me. Some just handle it better than others I guess.

This thread is perfect.

I got a question.

I was called on a footfault in a league night, which I'm pretty certain wasn't a footfault, but I re-putted anyways.

I was about 20' out, staggered straddle putt, right foot behind on my lie, and left foot about a foot back. 2-3 ft from my right. I never actually crossed the perpendicular line, but I did push off my left foot, and set it back down about 2-3 inches from where it was, never crossing the line. Dude called the footfault, and instead of blasting him down I just rethrew the putt. I am curious to if it was a footfault, I still don't think it is. But who knows.

This thread is perfect.

I got a question.

I was called on a footfault in a league night, which I'm pretty certain wasn't a footfault, but I re-putted anyways.

I was about 20' out, staggered straddle putt, right foot behind on my lie, and left foot about a foot back. 2-3 ft from my right. I never actually crossed the perpendicular line, but I did push off my left foot, and set it back down about 2-3 inches from where it was, never crossing the line. Dude called the footfault, and instead of blasting him down I just rethrew the putt. I am curious to if it was a footfault, I still don't think it is. But who knows.

Wysocki putts like this and is totally legal. As long as you don't cross the perpendicular

Wysocki putts like this and is totally legal. As long as you don't cross the perpendicular

That's what I figured, I didn't want to make an ordeal about it when I wasn't 100%. I just went to basic straddles instead of staggered. He couldn't say anything then cause my feet weren't moving lol

I would obnoxiously call him for a courtesy violation to my mellow by calling a foot fault in the first place.

Second round he continued to do it I would light a bag of feces on his porch and start calling him foot fault instead of his name every time we crossed paths.

If he has a sunroof I'd use it for a toilet. That's still a favorite of mine.

I'd probably just not play with him anymore and never give him an exact reason so he wondered for the rest of his life if it was the foot fault thing, or something else that is bound to be wrong with a person like this.

When I was called out by him the one time he said that my foot was not perfectly behind my mini. And from other expeirences with him they have all either been for that violation or that they did not regain balance through their putt.

No, that's well within he parameters of Mario Party. Game is specifically designed to allow teaming up, therefore I'd say that's just good strategy. Farting is more akin to gamemanship imo.

Back on topic, there's no specific rule against db like acts such as this. Littering, smoking, searching, distractions.....sure, but nothing about bad attitudes, bad uncalled violations, bad breath.

Fwiw op, these mind games make me smile. It reminds me who's winning ;)

I'm pretty sure Sir Puttsalot is the person that is causing dismay at Horseman's tourneys/leagues

Mario Party 4 player mini games are designed to have a winner-take-all, every-man-for-himself mentality. 3 players working together to **** another player is not against the rules but is of questionable morality. aka gamesmanship

The PDGA rules say they must be a clear violation. Not "go ahead and call anything you want"

I'm pretty sure Sir Puttsalot is the person that is causing dismay at Horseman's tourneys/leagues

Mario Party 4 player mini games are designed to have a winner-take-all, every-man-for-himself mentality. 3 players working together to **** another player is not against the rules but is of questionable morality. aka gamesmanship

The PDGA rules say they must be a clear violation. Not "go ahead and call anything you want"

Mario Party is like Monopoly, you make alliances, beat certain people while stabbing others in the back. ALWAYS BUY THE RAILROADS, THEY CONTROL EVERYTHING.

Just make sure that dude follows every rule in the book to the fullest extent. and call him on anything he is breaking. ask to check his bag to make sure his discs are pdga legal. call him on everything he does wrong, or even stuff he doesnt do wrong. just for funsies

Are we sure that the guy calling the violations isn't in the right? Foot faults are the hardest piece of the game to self-realize when you violate them.

That may be the first time I've ever heard someone actually talk about the "morality" of video game strategy...

Latest posts