• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Understable beginners disc

TyrionWarMage

I'm pretty new to discgolf and struggling quite a bit to throw RHBH. The problem is, that i'm not able to throw controlled and powerfull at the same time, hence i'm usually only using it for putting. Of course, i need to work on this but nevertheless i would like to have an understable disc for RHFH to be able to throw left curved long range. I'm not throwing very powerfull, hence i would also like to have a disc with decent gliding properties.
Currently considering a Innova Monarc/Mamba or a Discgolf Stratus/Glide and would be happy to get some advice.

Welcome. The discs that you mentioned are very different to each other with way different requirements to the power generation. You did not mention your power but the Stratus is super low in power requirement and very flippy so it is hard to keep from rolling. I have not thrown the Glide but i imagine it is a little more forgiving to throwing technique errors. Monarch and Mamba are fast power hungry drivers that have fade so they tend to fight out of anhyer ending up right in the end of a RHFH flight unless thrown to pretty far away or with a lot of anhyer matched just right with the height and the power so that the disc lands flat. Which is hard to do consistently and when you miss the disc can roll left or right and far. You did not mention how far you throw so it is hard to guess which disc would suite your power.

Hard to say how far i'm throwing but it's probably not very far. It is definitly WELL below 100m/300f and most likely below 200f ... will measure it next time. And yeah, i'm already having problems with the disc rolling away. So from the mentioned discs, i would tend to go for the Glide ?

Innova Coyote and Westside Warship could be better. Maybe even a DGA Squall that is not in clear sparkle plastic.

After checking out the mentioned discs, it seems to me i should go for mid-range disc rather than long-range discs, but why ?
DGA and ABC are not really available here (germany) .. at least i havnt found them, hence i will probably go for a warship.
Thanks for the advice

TyrionWarMage said:
After checking out the mentioned discs, it seems to me i should go for mid-range disc rather than long-range discs, but why ?
Before your form is developed (you did say you can't throw both hard and with control) it's best to use discs that won't mask your form issues (which drivers tend to do) and focus on learning to make slower discs fly longer. For example a simple DX Aviar doesn't require much power at all to fly 250-270', just good technique, and at the other end it can easily handle over 300' of power with a flat release when thrown with proper form. Learning how to throw slow discs longer will require that you learn to manipulate and control the disc angle, as well as smooth out your form.

jubuttib said:
TyrionWarMage said:
Before your form is developed (you did say you can't throw both hard and with control) it's best to use discs that won't mask your form issues (which drivers tend to do) and focus on learning to make slower discs fly longer. For example a simple DX Aviar doesn't require much power at all to fly 250-270', just good technique, and at the other end it can easily handle over 300' of power with a flat release when thrown with proper form. Learning how to throw slow discs longer will require that you learn to manipulate and control the disc angle, as well as smooth out your form.
:thumbup: Everything that jubuttib said is right on the money. I would recommend getting a stable Mid like a Buzzz & an understable Mid like a Kite or Stingray.

I was in the same boat as you last year.

Stay away from the Monarch and the Mamba. You will not be able to throw them. Despite being understable, at your throw speed, they will only go a very short distance and fade hard into the ground.

Start off throwing mids, stay away from longer ranged discs. Get a stable disc and an understable disc and experiment throwing each of them forehand and backhand and develop various shots for when you need the disc to go left or right. Here are a few mids that I really like:

Discraft: Buzzz (stable) and Meteor (understable)

Lat 64: Core (stable) and Fuse (understable)

JTdisc said:
I was in the same boat as you last year.

Stay away from the Monarch and the Mamba. You will not be able to throw them. Despite being understable, at your throw speed, they will only go a very short distance and fade hard into the ground.

Start off throwing mids, stay away from longer ranged discs. Get a stable disc and an understable disc and experiment throwing each of them forehand and backhand and develop various shots for when you need the disc to go left or right. Here are a few mids that I really like:

Discraft: Buzzz (stable) and Meteor (understable)

Lat 64: Core (stable) and Fuse (understable)
I'd add the Comet to the Discraft list as a stable to understable (depending on the plastic) option, one of the best discs to teach you good form.
Other options:
Discmania: S-MD2/P-MD2/New D-MD2 (stable) and used D-MD2 (understable).
Westside: Pursi/Warship (stable) and Tursas (understable).
Prodiscus: Premium MIDARi (stable) and (used) Basic MIDARi (understable).
Innova: Mako/Coyote/Lycan (stable) and Panther/Stingray (understable).

Latest posts