• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Understable Driver Suggestions

madman1101

Par Member
I recently found a Discraft Stratus (found in my trunk, don't know how it got there) and have fallen in love with it. I throw that thing about 200-250 completely straight (somewhat new to the sport, best backhand distance i can get). I've been looking for similar discs, I love the edge on it, fits my grip perfectly. Innova drivers seem to have too large of a rim for my small hands or something because I can't throw their discs the same.

Does anybody have any suggestions for discs that are understable? or have similar rim shape that would work well?

Polaris LS is a very underrated disc. They are easy to throw and sneaky long. The River has a small rim on it and is an incredible fairway driver that will bomb too.

The Stingray is a great understable mid with a smaller rim that is a little more driver-like. The Leopard is also one to check out.

Valkyrie is my personal favorite understable disc...but it does requires a bit of skill to be really accurate with it. Leopard is a great choice...and I would also recommend a TL. If you are only throwing 250 max anyway ... check out a Z or ESP Buzzz ...it will do whatever you need it to.

Valkyrie is my personal favorite understable disc...but it does requires a bit of skill to be really accurate with it. Leopard is a great choice...and I would also recommend a TL. If you are only throwing 250 max anyway ... check out a Z or ESP Buzzz ...it will do whatever you need it to.

I love my valky, but whenever i throw it backhand, i seem to throw with a hyzer, i can't get it to release straight/anny at all.

Z Glide for similar speed to that stratus or if you want faster but still a small rim get a Z plastic Avenger SS.

there is a big understable disc threw in the equipment section right now...

I throw the Valk and I love the disc. If your looking for a great Fairway Driver.. Go do yourself a favor and purchase the GL River from Lat64. Only disc I have from them but am in love. I love it so much I'm buying a Fuse from them for Understable Mid duties.

The best understable disc with that smaller rim you like = Discraft XL. Right out of the box really nice and understable in pro-D plastic. Hit it with average amount of force + release flat and it will go nice and straight. Rip it hard and it will go straight and into a nice slow turn to the right and finish right assuming RHBH. I prefer it in z plastic because of my high arm speed, its has just a little bit more stability than in pro-D.

For a midrange thats understable go with the Discraft meteor, probably my favorite disc to throw, its remarkable. you can make it go flat and straight with ease, right to left or very buttery smooth left to right assuming RHBH.

The Stingray is a great understable mid with a smaller rim that is a little more driver-like. The Leopard is also one to check out.

This is a really good suggestion. Stingrays are a good bit understable. Comparatively speaking, a Leopard is significantly more stable than a Stingray, but it will exhibit turn and has a greater distance potential than a Stingray.

Discraft's Impact & Glide are the closest.

Pro D Cyclones are forgiving of nose angle and would be the next jump in speed.
XL is a speed notch above the clone but still with a smaller rim.

Last edited: