• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Understable midranges

I love Aviars but for 150' and in depending on how much anhyzer is needed and how important it is for the disc to land and stick I consider an Aero too. It holds the line you put on it beautidully and is the best for staicking landings imo.

Putter I'm looking for something a little faster than a putter so that I can hit low ceiling lines in tight spaces. Because of the slower speed, my timing is a little off, sometimes I overcrank it and it turns too much, sometimes I try to finesse it softly and i don't get the turn I want. I would like to improve on my putter approach game, and eventually use a putter for these shots.

Squall I have squalls both in SP & PRO line. SP is a litte more stable, and it is brand new so it hasn't beaten in yet. The PRO is beaten in and flippy, it's just a tad faster than I want. I can easily throw this disc 325+ft.

Mako It's been a while since I threw a Mako, very similiar to a Coyote, both feel and flight. I remember it having a lot of glide, slow, and less fade than the Coyote. This might be the disc I'll seek and test out again for open anhyzer upshots.

Meteor This is such an unusual disc where I can throw it straight and turn right at the end. Might be just the right disc for low ceiling 200ft shots through wooded areas.

Stingray I just got this disc in DX at an event and have yet to throw it. Not a huge fan of DX plastic, but I'll give this disc a shot.

Stratus My first PDGA disc in black hanging on the wall. Not sure if I want to take that one off. I have an Elite-X Stratus that just so happened to be my very first disc Snapper Pierson suggested I use. I still have it (I think), so I'll give it a run.

Wedge A lot of players on the course have been suggesting to check out this disc.

I think I may be looking to use two different discs for the shots I orginally described.

1) low ceiling tightly wooded anhyzer shots - slightly faster disc that turns right
2) open anhyzer shots around trees/obstacles - slower disc, holds line, stalls, and flattens at the end with no skip or rollaway.

More people really arent saying fuse? Sounds exactly what he needs. Its a unique disc and there is no equel in discraft or innova. Tons tons tons of glide. The numbers regarding its glide really dont do it justice. Distance for less basically. I barely reachback at all (like 30% reachback. almost like a spin putt) up to maybe 120ft or so.

meteor or buzz ss are both options also. Id say fuse is a little more understable than both of these with more glide.

What I am looking to use this for is approach shots (100-200ft) that I could use to: 1) anhyzer around trees/obstacles and 2) a straight low ceiling tight line shot that finishes right.

That's a classic aviar shot to me. Classic aviar makes a better driver than a P&A according to Dave. It's my putter and my understable midrange. Likeyou, I found the comet to be less accurate. It has too much distance potential to be powering it down enough to hit at that short range.

Meteors ALL DAY LONG!!!!

I am also loving this GLO Mako, still a little stable but'll go right just enough, but to go right and STAY right I say METEOR!!!

If you like your buzzz and are considering a meteor, I'd suggest feeling a meteor, fuse and a buzzz (preferably yours) all side-by-side. A lot of people say that the meteor feels more like the buzzz, but that was not my experience. IMO, the fuse is the closest in feel to the buzzz. They even have the same style of rim.

I've also gotten good flight results from a stingray, but I didn't like how the beveled edge felt so different from every other disc in my bag.

I also agree with the others who have said that <200' is putter range.

I'm amazed that there is no love for the Wizard yet. I love putting my SS Wizard on a tight anny line from 200' feet and in....that sucker just cuts through the air like a butter knife and when it hits the grounds it stops on a dime...It's great for going around trees and if you need to keep it low just bend at the knees and snap away..

if you're talking about a shot that has to start out straight and then gradually go to the right...the Stingray or a beat Cobra will do the trick...just put a little hyzer flip out there to the left and watch it flip flat and then gradually just turn to the right.....I like the Fuse but I think it has too much glide for the shot you're describing.

When it comes down to it, the putter is the true disc you should be throwing from 200' and in. It takes a lot of practice to get comfortable and trust your throw with the putter. You should go and find a practice basket...walk 200' out and work on throwing anhyzers at it..both high and low to get the feeling of how much anny you need and where the apex is before the disc starts working back towards the basket.

two cents worth

I'll use several understable midranges - depending upon wind and course layout.

Elite-X Stratus - most understable of them all. Depending upon release angle and speed it will have a nice consistent right turn, with no fade. You can HF to straight, but only in tailwind and rather short holes.

ABC Flying Squirrel - tad more stable than Stratus, more distance and consistent.

Elite Element (domey) - will hold any line you give it. HF to straight. Annie and it will continue to track right without fading. Don't use a flat top Elite or any HPP - they are all stable and you'll struggle to get them turning right on shorter approach shots.

Orange Ching Legacy - Most stable of the bunch. Only for longer holes. Nice right turn with nearly no fade. Will HF to straight / slight s-turn. Only orange - red & yellow are more stable, blue and white are less stable and have less consistent trajectories (for me)

I have tried the Meteor, Mako, Buzzz SS, Panther, and Fuse - while they all turn right nicely, but I run into situations where they will fade back - this is where the argument for using a putter comes into play. They all are nice, I'll put them in the bag if I need a longer right turn mid range.

You said that you did use a Coyote, but looking at your bag you didn't list it, maybe time to try it out again?

Currently I am using an Elite-X Comet as my understable midrange as part of a 3 disc midrange group: Comet understable / QMS neutral / Sirius Sentinnel overstable.

I like the Comet so far but I use it primarily for lengthy approach shots or lay up drives that require anhyser. For understable drives I step up to the Panther.

I have a couple of buzz arriving soon to see what the..ummm...buzz is about? If it makes the bag, it will likely join the Champion Panther in the tweener area between the midranges and fairway drivers.

latitude_disc_golf_discs_fuse_g.jpg

I'm looking to add an understable midrange to my bag. I know a lot of people will say add a Comet, but for the life of me I can't seem to throw that disc with any accuracy, I'm not a fan of the rim, but I'm willing to give it another go. I'm leaning towards a Meteor. I'm thinking of trying a Buzzz SS. What I am looking to use this for is approach shots (100-200ft) that I could use to: 1) anhyzer around trees/obstacles and 2) a straight low ceiling tight line shot that finishes right.

Slow disc the better

well, in that distance, you should be throwing a putter. a beat in putter can wrap trees like you're describing and finish like that, even softer and more reliably than a mid. easier to control, too

What I am looking to use this for is approach shots (100-200ft) that I could use to: 1) anhyzer around trees/obstacles and 2) a straight low ceiling tight line shot that finishes right.

Discraft 2nd Run Buzzz (more stable than I want, need to break in)

1 - You should be able to anhyzer your Buzzz. But if you need it to be a steeper curve:

2 - Throw a overstable driver sidearm, or forearm, whatever it is called. Low ceiling tight line that finishes right.

Right now I'm hooked on a champion glow coyote. It's super flat but is just the right amount of understable goodness that it will pretty much hold an anny line, or any line that you want. I have 2 that were actually marked "R" as in roc first and you can tell that they put the "CY" over it. It's feels a lot like a champion classic roc with out the bead. It's my go to midrange when I need a super straight line or anny line. It's worth a try and you can always use it for glow rounds as well. Win win. I've been trying to snatch up as many as I can, and I've gotten great deals on them. Worth a try. Just my opinion though!
Biz

You said that you did use a Coyote, but looking at your bag you didn't list it, maybe time to try it out again?
Foolishly I gave away my Coyote and backup last year. Why? I'm still trying to figure that one out.

I think for open anhyzer approaches the putter would be the better option. I currently use an Omega SS, and it just doesn't get distance (maybe it's me), so I am trying some other putters for this shot.

Give the Meteor another try. Great out of the box and quickly gets better. Does just what your looking for. Much more forgiving than the Comet with a tad more fade at the end and almost as much glide.

I know the OP didn't like the comet but just wanted to make sure. Is the comet considered and understable mid?? I just commented about it on another thread and got jump for calling it an understable disc.

Sorry for thread jacking!!