• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Understable midranges

patdb23

Birdie Member
I'm looking to add an understable midrange to my bag. I know a lot of people will say add a Comet, but for the life of me I can't seem to throw that disc with any accuracy, I'm not a fan of the rim, but I'm willing to give it another go. I'm leaning towards a Meteor. I'm thinking of trying a Buzzz SS. What I am looking to use this for is approach shots (100-200ft) that I could use to: 1) anhyzer around trees/obstacles and 2) a straight low ceiling tight line shot that finishes right.

Slow disc the better. Not looking for drivers such as a TL or Skeeter. I did use to have a beat-in Champ Coyote that would hold a good line with lots of glide and real slow, and slightly fade back with no skip, dropping straight down. Something similiar to this would be good for the anhyzer shot but with no fade.

Current midranges in the bag (from stable to least stable)
Discraft Elite Z Drone
Discraft Stalker
DGA Shockwave
DGA Aftershock
Discraft 2nd Run Buzzz (more stable than I want, need to break in)
DGA Squall

I'm not sure if you have a brand preference or not, but i use a stingray for my mid-range turnovers, and i love it. I had a DX version, now i throw a champ version, both worked great for me.

The Wedge is a really great disc that is on the slower end of a mid range.

At 100-200 feet,if you're wanting a turnover,you should probably try:

Stingray,Kite,Fuse.

if you dont like the comet, you might not like the rim on the meteor. if you prefer lower profile/driver-like mid, i suggest the stingray as others have mentioned but the wedge is a really good disc for understable shots.

i like the fuse for this spot in my bag, has the feel of a mid in rim height but also feels like a stingray lip.

Stingray is great, although at 100' you might not get it to turn in time. Remember, this was considered a driver back in the day. Why not use a putter at 100'? I throw my Star Avair and it'll keep turning with anny. For anything mid 200'+ that turns right (i'm RHBH), then out comes the Stingray.

The meteor was a buddy's disc and it was the first time I could throw a disc perfectly straight and it would fade to the right. Been a while since I've thrown it. It seemed cool to be able to throw a low ceiling straight shot while finishing right. Can't recall the rim of the disc.

The meteor was a buddy's disc and it was the first time I could throw a disc perfectly straight and it would fade to the right. Been a while since I've thrown it. It seemed cool to be able to throw a low ceiling straight shot while finishing right. Can't recall the rim of the disc.

My pro d stratus does this well.

Stingray is great, although at 100' you might not get it to turn in time. Remember, this was considered a driver back in the day. Why not use a putter at 100'? I throw my Star Avair and it'll keep turning with anny. For anything mid 200'+ that turns right (i'm RHBH), then out comes the Stingray.

This

A classic aviar doubles as an understable midrange for me. I can get it out to 250 with effort, and it has a slight tendency to turn when thrown hard. It holds an anny line really well all the way to the end. If I really want to go out past 200 though, I will use a roc and put an anny on it. It won't fade back at all if I put enough spin on it.

If you like a Buzzz, try a Meteor. Similar rim and feel in the hand, but the Meteor is way more understable, yet not to the point that it's really touchy.

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but at under 200', you should consider throwing putters since that is what the best players throw at that range.

One again sillybiz beat me to it, but like he and cmcolomb said a wedge is a great disc for this shot. I prefer star plastic myself. For me the metor is too much disc for the shot you mentioned.

I started a similar thread a couple months ago, and everyone here talked me into a comet. I recently got a Buzz SS. I like it a lot more. But I use the comet too for two reasons- first, it absolutely doesn't tolerate OAT, so it is a good practice disc. Second, I can do a standstill dead straight 200 foot throw with it. I need a run up to do that with my putter.

Maaaaako... it's a big/long putter and much better than the Coyote imo. I think it has much better distance control on the shorter shots in comparison to the Buzzzz. At 100-200ft you can keep it low and still find it workable, for anything more though you'll need to add some height to work it left or right.

It's great for annys or you can torque it a bit and force it to turnover for a nice straight shot that fades right. It makes a great long distance putter. I'd grab one close to max weight if you get one.

The Squall you have is an understable midrange. It is fairly similiar to a Meteor, but dare I say, less sensitive. If you are not getting that disc to turn for you, you are probably not throwing with enough power or it's a nearly brand new SP Squall. It's my hyzer-flip dead straight or turnover mid. I prefer it over the Meteor. Although flat Meteors are pretty sexy. I'd work with the Squall since you have it (unless you hate it). You should also take their suggestions and start using you putter for those shorter approaches. If a midrange is intended to go, let's make it an even 300, and you try to throw it, 100 feet (or at 33%), the odds of it fading back to the left (RHBH) are pretty high. It's easier to get you putter out there than most people think. I suck and 100' for me is a jump putt (generally).

"Midrange" is a very misleading term. It's like when people say we're going "clubbing". The first time I went, I was disappointed it did not involve baby seals.