• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Unsanctioned division

No, you can purchase event liability policies for a single event, or the club can purchase a general liability policy that will provide coverage for the events. The problem is, these are commercial insurance policies with high minimum premiums. It varies from state-to-state, but here it would likely be at least $500.

I know for p4p courses there has to be some sort of premises liability. Can tournament directors latch on to this insurance coverage instead of an independent policy?

(thank you experienced TD's for the information, I am genuinely curious about this)

No, you can purchase event liability policies for a single event, or the club can purchase a general liability policy that will provide coverage for the events. The problem is, these are commercial insurance policies with high minimum premiums. It varies from state-to-state, but here it would likely be at least $500.

Not many events are going to have $500 to spend on insurance without devastating the payout.

You are still not answering why it is so important that a small group of guys refuse to just sign up for the main event. If they will not play in the event you advertised and planned, they can take their discs elsewhere and organize their own stuff.

Not many events are going to have $500 to spend on insurance without devastating the payout.

Exactly. That's why the PDGA is such a bargain.

I wouldn't be surprised if club's like Charlotte have an annual policy that covers their events, though.

Charlotte has more members in their club than we have in all MD clubs combined. Also Charlotte has a great relation with the parks department. We do PDGA insurance for our tournaments. Unsanctioned events we use waivers that are not fully legal, but it satisfies the park.

I know for p4p courses there has to be some sort of premises liability. Can tournament directors latch on to this insurance coverage instead of an independent policy?

(thank you experienced TD's for the information, I am genuinely curious about this)

Probably not, though you'd have to check with their policy.

I answer not just as a TD, but an insurance agent, though one who doesn't deal directly in these type of policies. The property owner's policy protects him or her against lawsuit. The TD or club needs separate protection.

Liability laws, and insurance, vary from state to state, but these are the general principles.

DavidSauls, If you insure a concert and a second concert is set up on the same lot and that stage that you were unaware of catches fire and damages the stage in your policy. would your insurance cover the stage?

If a player from tournament B hits a player in Tournament A in the face. The insurance from Tournament A can pull out because a second event caused the damage, not the event they were covering. The TD will be on the hook.

I don't know the terms of the policy. In the latter case, the company might deny coverage due to misrepresentation (see sanctioning agreement). But other than that, in general the policy protects the TD/Club against something for which they are legally liable, in running the event that is covered.

Just keep the tournament casual. I don't see those 2 (9 hole) courses being a big enough draw for a PDGA event. But if you're determined to do it, just have it spread out over the weekend. Sat=PDGA, Sun=Non Sanctioned.

Latest posts