• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

i putt proxies so mine are low profile as well. the vertical storage works better when a little tighter. if they are loose they will fall out. that is why i chose to put drivers in those slots and my putters live on the outside of the bag. its part of the fun of the shift is figuring out the configuration that works best for you

So you mean it's not weird that I've already been diagramming various configurations on paper while I wait for my bag? :D

I putt with XDs(low profile) and the top slot works perfectly for me. Enjoy your Shift!

Good to know! I'll get it squared away and report back.

I'm actually more pumped for my dad to get his bag. He's been rocking the Cabela's XPG for like 3.5 years now. It is long overdue for an upgrade, and I think the Shift will help him pare down his molds and save his back a bit more. :thmbup:

Yeah, I'm not worried. I have faith they will take care of it. I've just never had a bag come apart so fast for no reason.

Anyone have a coupon / promo code they're not using? I've got a friend that's about to buy a Shift.

The little pouch in the front. It just split where the strap attaches.

Got your email Ranger. What a weird place to rip! Neither Hobie or I have seen a rip like that on the Shift, so we're chalking it up to a one off manufacturing mistake. My guess is the sewing machine only caught the edge of the pocket material in the piping, so it pulled out with very little stress.

As always, we stand by our products. Keep an eye out for an email (if you haven't already gotten a response from Hobie) :thmbup:

Thanks guys, email received.

UPD has continued their streak of outstanding customer service. I have no worries about this and continue to recommend the shift to anyone who will listen.

Absolutely loving my Shift!!! 3 putters in top slot. 3 drivers in middle slot. 3 drivers in bottom slot. Mix of mids and drivers in the side slots. 3 in top side slot on each side. 2 in bottom. That is 20 discs and the bag doesn't even feel heavy on my back. Well thought out design. It can't fall forward, only backwards, but it naturally leans forward, creating a great balance. On a hill, the front of the bag must be pointed downhill and it will then stay up. It does NOT warp discs as some have claimed. At first, I didn't like how the water bottle slot stuck out so far, but, now I realize that this is there for balance and is needed. So, I have grown to love everything about it. Going to write a more in depth review forum soon. Oh, and when you lean over, nothing falls out! Love that.

Last edited:
the only time i had warped discs was the two i placed inside the main compartment in the mesh pockets. this was also with full side pockets. warped the inside ones pretty good. to me that doesn't bother me because i use that for storage anyway just happened when i was playing with configurations.

the only time i had warped discs was the two i placed inside the main compartment in the mesh pockets. this was also with full side pockets. warped the inside ones pretty good. to me that doesn't bother me because i use that for storage anyway just happened when i was playing with configurations.

Original Shift or new model?

Not trying to be a jerk but trying to figure out how discs could become warped as I have not had this issue and don't want to experience it... There aren't any mesh pockets in the main compartment. Only the side pockets are mesh. Can you help me better understand which pockets created warped discs?

Last edited:
new shift. inside the main compartment under the vertical slots on each side of the inside of the bag there are two mesh inner pockets. hope that helps

i can't post a pic right now

Got your email Ranger. What a weird place to rip! Neither Hobie or I have seen a rip like that on the Shift, so we're chalking it up to a one off manufacturing mistake. My guess is the sewing machine only caught the edge of the pocket material in the piping, so it pulled out with very little stress.

As always, we stand by our products. Keep an eye out for an email (if you haven't already gotten a response from Hobie) :thmbup:

:thmbup::hfive: love my rebel!

new shift. inside the main compartment under the vertical slots on each side of the inside of the bag there are two mesh inner pockets. hope that helps

i can't post a pic right now

Found the pockets you were talking about. Thanks for the info. :thmbup: Now I can use those for wallet and such. I didn't know those pockets were there.

And, now that I know of them, I'd never use 'em for discs. Especially if the outer pockets are already stuffed. It doesn't really make sense to reach in there to grab a disc if I can just put the discs on the outside. The outside pockets stretch nicely with the mesh they are made of. There is only so much lateral space in any bag. Add another disc or two to an already full bag, no matter what brand, and there will be problems. It is easier to put 3 on top and 2 on bottom of both sides of the side pockets and 9 in the main compartment for a total of 19 ( I said 20 in my last post, but, with bad math, I meant 19). The bag claims 16-18 disc capacity, but, if I switched out 3 putters for 4 faster discs in the top pocket of main compartment, I could carry 20. 22 if I stuffed the outer bottom pockets with 3 and the outer top pockets with 3 and had 10 in main compartment. But, as the bag was made for 16-18, I carry 19 comfortably and am not worried about warping discs or stretching any seems. Like I was saying, pushing the limits is never smart with any bag, especially if you want it to hold up over a long period of time. But I was able to organize them so that 19 is not too much for the bag to handle and nothing will become warped. I'll write a more detailed review on a later date. Needless to say, I freakin' love it.

Found the pockets you were talking about. Thanks for the info. :thmbup: Now I can use those for wallet and such. I didn't know those pockets were there.

And, now that I know of them, I'd never use 'em for discs. Especially if the outer pockets are already stuffed. It doesn't really make sense to reach in there to grab a disc if I can just put the discs on the outside. The outside pockets stretch nicely with the mesh they are made of. There is only so much lateral space in any bag. Add another disc or two to an already full bag, no matter what brand, and there will be problems. It is easier to put 3 on top and 2 on bottom of both sides of the side pockets and 9 in the main compartment for a total of 19 ( I said 20 in my last post, but, with bad math, I meant 19). The bag claims 16-18 disc capacity, but, if I switched out 3 putters for 4 faster discs in the top pocket of main compartment, I could carry 20. 22 if I stuffed the outer bottom pockets with 3 and the outer top pockets with 3 and had 10 in main compartment. But, as the bag was made for 16-18, I carry 19 comfortably and am not worried about warping discs or stretching any seems. Like I was saying, pushing the limits is never smart with any bag, especially if you want it to hold up over a long period of time. But I was able to organize them so that 19 is not too much for the bag to handle and nothing will become warped. I'll write a more detailed review on a later date. Needless to say, I freakin' love it.

i never even left the house with this config. i was just testing the limits. there are discs that may get pulled out once in 5 rounds that was my thought for those two inside pockets.