• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

The more I use it, the more I like it. Played a new course today, the first one on this road trip into another state and all I had with me was my Shift. Despite only having 12 discs, I never felt like I was at want for a disc from my bigger bag, and I never felt overpacked because I was only playing a casual round. The only time the bag truly feels like a burden is when I am unloading the bag and I am pulling out and then putting back in numerous discs at once. My Crunch is more convenient for this.

Beyond that, I am really enjoying carrying a full stocked but incredibly light backpack. Once slung on my back it allowed me to move quickly. I was playing this round by myself and the ability to move quickly often signaled to the rec groups I was coming up on that I was a quicker player and would like to play through.

So, I got into tinkering with this bag, and here's what I've come up with. I basically took two approaches to this bag. Modify and accessorize. Because the bag is smallish to begin with, and already made for disc golf, there wasn't a ton of modifying to do. The first thing I did (which I've noted previously) is drop a AA battery into one of the pencils holders. It just shortens the holder up enough to fit two golf pencils perfectly.

The big modification I've been working on is a frame. The bag itself does not stand real well on its own. That was the biggest downside to this bag for me. The main obstacle, however, is that the inside won't fit a decent frame. The reason the bag doesn't stand well is because the shape of the bag is more like the new A-frame for Grip...but without the frame. If you orient the bag so the bag is straight up and down, the very front of the bag is up in the air. So instead of making an internal frame, I build an external one.

It's really more of a platform. I bungeed the front end by threading it through the mesh bottle holder and tied the back end up the middle of the back and through the extra little loop on the back of the bag. Now the bag sits on it's own.

Attachments

• WP_20130613_007.jpg
    WP_20130613_007.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 178
  • WP_20130616_003.jpg
    WP_20130616_003.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 178
  • WP_20130618_008.jpg
    WP_20130618_008.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 218
For accessorizing, the first thing I did was add an insulated Nalgene coozy. Now that the bag stands on it's own, the bag handles the weight of a 32 oz. bottle without tipping.

The second thing I added was a Maxpedition pocket organizer. I love this thing. It fits my wallet, keys, cell phone, pencils, sharpies, extra scorecards, etc. And the best part is, if you drape the front flap down, it fits perfetly into the reverse pocket created by the back of the zippered pocket on the front of the flap. And the front pocket still fits my DD metal mini too. I just leave the front flap folded forward at all times, now.

I also have a rainfly coming in the mail this week that fits into a small pouch that will stay at the bottom of the main compartment.

This leaves the side waist pouches free for snacks, birdie bag, etc.

Overall, these mods/add-ons make this bag far easier to bring on the couse and use for a full tournament day. The coozy/organizer/rainfly ran me an extra $50 but you can buy the same accessories for much cheaper...I just like buying the good stuff.

Attachments

• WP_20130618_002.jpg
    WP_20130618_002.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 137
  • WP_20130616_001.jpg
    WP_20130616_001.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 159
And the final bit, my rainfly. Just sits at the bottom of the bag waiting for use. Barely takes up any space at all.

Attachments

• WP_20130620_003.jpg
    WP_20130620_003.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 126
  • WP_20130620_002.jpg
    WP_20130620_002.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 112
How do you get to the discs with the rainfly deployed?

I tie the rain fly to the loop on the top of the bag and don't attach it to the bottom too tightly. I can get to the 4 outside discs easily enough. The inside discs are trickier but doable. I'd just swap my outside discs to 2 drivers, a mid, and a putter to minimize my need to get another disc from what inside

So there is a video out there for the Shift, why is there nothing for the Focus? I'd love to see some more stuff about it. A friend of mine is making me a disc golf sporran to wear w/my Utilikilt which should hold 6 discs and on short days that will be enough. If I'm going to play the whole course in the summer heat, especially once late July and August roll around, the Focus could be handy for those extra discs as well as having my water on my back already.

No bottle clanking against my leg in my kilt pocket, especially since I will probably shift the sporran to sit on my left hip to not interfere w/my throwing, and that kilt cargo pocket is usually where my water bottle sits. Ice in the bag to help things stay cold for awhile longer, could be really nice.

More input from people who have it please and make w/the videos somebody! I can't believe Upper Park doesn't have any besides the one video review someone did of the Shift. Have any of the concerns in this thread ever been addressed in more recent versions?

Woods- Will you post a picture from the bottom. I have a shift coming in the mail and may want to use the idea you have to help with the stability of the bag when standing. Thanks.

So, I got into tinkering with this bag, and here's what I've come up with. I basically took two approaches to this bag. Modify and accessorize. Because the bag is smallish to begin with, and already made for disc golf, there wasn't a ton of modifying to do. The first thing I did (which I've noted previously) is drop a AA battery into one of the pencils holders. It just shortens the holder up enough to fit two golf pencils perfectly.

The big modification I've been working on is a frame. The bag itself does not stand real well on its own. That was the biggest downside to this bag for me. The main obstacle, however, is that the inside won't fit a decent frame. The reason the bag doesn't stand well is because the shape of the bag is more like the new A-frame for Grip...but without the frame. If you orient the bag so the bag is straight up and down, the very front of the bag is up in the air. So instead of making an internal frame, I build an external one.

It's really more of a platform. I bungeed the front end by threading it through the mesh bottle holder and tied the back end up the middle of the back and through the extra little loop on the back of the bag. Now the bag sits on it's own.

So there is a video out there for the Shift, why is there nothing for the Focus? I'd love to see some more stuff about it. A friend of mine is making me a disc golf sporran to wear w/my Utilikilt which should hold 6 discs and on short days that will be enough. If I'm going to play the whole course in the summer heat, especially once late July and August roll around, the Focus could be handy for those extra discs as well as having my water on my back already.

No bottle clanking against my leg in my kilt pocket, especially since I will probably shift the sporran to sit on my left hip to not interfere w/my throwing, and that kilt cargo pocket is usually where my water bottle sits. Ice in the bag to help things stay cold for awhile longer, could be really nice.

More input from people who have it please and make w/the videos somebody! I can't believe Upper Park doesn't have any besides the one video review someone did of the Shift. Have any of the concerns in this thread ever been addressed in more recent versions?

I have the Shift already, and as mentioned above in an earlier post, every day I like it more and more. I find that I almost never use my Crunch or NutSac any more, and the only time I bring out the Carolina is during big tournaments.

However, recently I have been considering buying the Focus with the hydration pack. I find that MOST courses I play during non-tournament rounds I throw only 4-7 discs anyway, and of those usually it is 3-5 mids and putters. Summer has finally arrived in Minnesota and often I find that I am underprepared when it comes to nourishment while playing. If I can sell a few more discs from my sale thread, I am going to pick up a Focus.

If so, I will definitely make a video and pass it along to everyone on here.

If I can sell a few more discs from my sale thread, I am going to pick up a Focus.

If so, I will definitely make a video and pass it along to everyone on here.

Sounds like a plan. Look forward to it. Maybe film the first bit right after you unbox it and stuff it full the first time. Then spend a couple weeks playing w/it and finish the video w/new opinions.

I can give a few impressions on the Focus after about a three round test. I received the bag as a Father's Day gift and have had a chance to use it on three or four occasions. I only got the bag itself, not the 2.0L bladder which was sold separately. I've since then purchased a 1.5L Camelbak bladder and insulated tube (trust me, this is a must) to go with the Focus.

The build quality is REALLY good. Feels and looks like a well put together bag right out of the box. Reminds me of a high end hiking bag to be honest. When loaded with discs, water, or discs and water (see below) it sits very comfortably and is extremely lightweight. Shoulder straps are comfortable to wear around the course and the bag doesn't really trap heat against my back. I haven't really used the chest straps as they seem a little redundant for the weight of the bag, even with water. The backpack is pretty easy to get on/off, and I never felt like I was struggling with the bag or straps. I liked that I was able to wear it into the woods/rough to look for a disc without fighting the bag through brush like I do with my standard bag (Fade Crunch + Phenix quads). The 'stuff' pockets are placed well, hold wallet/keys/phone fairly well (they're a little undersized to get a pair of sunglasses in without worrying about crushing your specs). In fact, I use an app on my phone for scoring and I could get the phone in and out of the pocket without taking the backpack off. One thing I really liked was that after walking to my disc after an upshot, I could reach over my shoulder ala Barton/Bishop/Queen/Harper and pull out my putter for the putt without taking off the bag (as long as the putter is in the top slot on the bag). The bag doesn't stand upright, but easily leans against any tree/rock/bench without collapsing. I could get a Huklab towel to ride well in the bungee too. So... discs, water, towel, phone, keys all in a compact, lightweight package.

The ONLY downside to this bag so far is the capacity with the bladder. The UPD website mentions 4-8 disc capacity. The actual capacity (in my experience YMMV) is 5 discs w/ water, 7 discs without. I played a round with no bladder and carried a water bottle. Did not like. It was only a handful of holes into the round before I was wishing I had a bladder of cool water instead of a plastic water bottle that I had to set down constantly to shoot. You have to carry a bottle unless you're going the 'beener route and clipping something on the bag which might negate the balance and lightweight feel. I didn't have any issues with the disc capacity (7) for that round. The capacity issue is that the volume of space taken up by a bladder makes it nearly impossible to get more than one disc in the two lower slots and depending on the discs, the third slot as well. The top slot is high enough on the bag that the bulk of the bladder is below it so you can get two mids/putters in that slot without an issue. Notice that I used a 1.5L bladder and UPD sells a 2L bladder so I have to assume that the issue is only compounded with the larger bladder. Maybe it isn't as big a deal with a 1L bladder though. In fact, I used the 1.5L on a round but only about 2/3's full and was able to get discs in and out with just a little hassle. Once I'd gotten further into the round and drunk some of the water, it wasn't an issue at all. I blew through through water fairly quickly since I was spitting out a mouthful of warm water every time since I hadn't ponied up for an insulated tube yet. For the record, the discs I was using for my rounds were an Ion+Coyote in the top slot, Core+Leopord in slot two, Roadrunner+Surge in slot three, and River in the bottom slot. The bottom two slots are the real 'problem' areas and maybe with a little break-in the issue will take care of itself. However, given the build quality this could take some time.

In summary, this is a very well-built backpack and if I could figure out a way to disc down about one more disc, I think I'd use it even more. I like it for quick rounds on courses where I know going in what I'm gonna need. I wouldn't plan on using this for a tourney of any kind, however for a rec rounds on local courses, travel rounds when out of town to well-researched courses, Ace Races (or similar), or just taking a handful of discs out for some field work this is a great bag. I got several compliments for friends and complete strangers on each round that I've used it on. It's easy to tell that it's a unique design, good quality, and has a definite place on the course.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review mike! Someone just ordered me one of these for a birthday present and I'm quite excited about it. My local course is about a mile out and I only need 4 discs for how short it is, but I love running there and running the course for quick rounds. I actually think the chest strap was put there for the intent on running. Just my two cents though.

Just put mine up in the MP. I love it, but I'm never satisfied with one bag for long. I always have to tinker with new ones!

Just put mine up in the MP. I love it, but I'm never satisfied with one bag for long. I always have to tinker with new ones!

Will u post pictures and give more detail to how you attached the frame to the bag? That would help me out as I am looking to find a way to give my shift more stability so it can stand. THANKS

Could someone with a Focus make a YouTube video review? Showing how it sits what it looks like with no water vs water. I'd greatly appreciate it :D

Just got the focus in today! I can't wait to take it for a run! The bladder is great and easy to use. Actually makes the bag more comfortable. I was able to fill the 2 liters and put an escape, a wasp, and 4 rhynos in it. I could do more if I changed out the discs I'm guessing, but that's what I had on hand when I opened the box, lol.

I'll do a more comprehensive video later showing the bag.

For those that are thinking of buying a shift I want to give my review.

Pros
1. As for comfort it is all that is advertised to be.
2. Well made bag (except the cup holder).
3. Keeps discs in line with your core- high and tight on your back. I've been able to play 54 holes with very little fatigue. Wake up the next morning with much less soreness.
4. While small the hip pockets are convenient. and I could fit my keys, wallet and droid 3.

Cons
1. Once bag is packed it gets very tight, especially if attempt to over pack. 12 discs is very manageable and still able to have other small items.
2. Limited space for other necessities.
3. The cup holder is mesh and not durable. Every bag I have seen used for 1-2 months has problems with the cup holder.
4. No footing... bag rests on the floor.

I now use the cup holder to hold my flap and pace a 32 oz drink in the compartment with a coozie to keep it dry. This has worked much better. I used a stiff plastic sheet on bottom to help give more support. I have read that the bag does not stand up. I think it would better with footings but I have had no problems with this. The bag leans forward if it does not have a drink in the drink pocket but stands up and easily accessible.

While it may not be for everyone this small back pack has been great for me.

Just got the focus in today! I can't wait to take it for a run! The bladder is great and easy to use. Actually makes the bag more comfortable. I was able to fill the 2 liters and put an escape, a wasp, and 4 rhynos in it. I could do more if I changed out the discs I'm guessing, but that's what I had on hand when I opened the box, lol.

I'll do a more comprehensive video later showing the bag.

Haven't been able to make a video yet, but I did do a solid double course run with the bag to and from the course. It was awesome! I love being able to really strap the bag tight during the run to and from the course. Never felt any movement at all with the discs or awkward rubbing from the straps. The side pockets on the bottom were big enough to fit my windows phone, my massive key set and my wallet. The straps all had little cloth stretchy rings to keep the excess straps up against the pulled strap. A very nice feature so that you do not have to deal with flapping straps and still be able to adjust freely.

When the pockets were stuffed and there was plenty of water, the bag was able to stand up right surprisingly. The d-link on the inside pouch where the bladder is held is great for holding the water bag upright. Next to that d-link is another pocket for things you don't need to access regularly during a round (ie.keys or something). I also really appreciated being able to pull from my back a putter and just go. Really only needed to take the bag off for driving, but not because the discs would fly out, but because I felt like I was throwing off my procedure for a drive with it on.

All in all, love the bag. Love the bladder they sell too! I used to have a camel back that the army issued me and it was such a pain to clean. I don't know if camelback has updated since then or not, but this one is entirely reversible and super easy to clean. Plus the house is easily detached for cleaning as well.

If you are on the fence and want something that can easily hold 5 discs and a bladder, this is the bag. I honestly would prefer to run with only 4 discs though. Simply for the reach around putter. It just feels awkward to tug at the putter while it is sharing a spot with another disc. That's just me though.

Haven't been able to make a video yet, but I did do a solid double course run with the bag to and from the course. It was awesome! I love being able to really strap the bag tight during the run to and from the course. Never felt any movement at all with the discs or awkward rubbing from the straps. The side pockets on the bottom were big enough to fit my windows phone, my massive key set and my wallet. The straps all had little cloth stretchy rings to keep the excess straps up against the pulled strap. A very nice feature so that you do not have to deal with flapping straps and still be able to adjust freely.

When the pockets were stuffed and there was plenty of water, the bag was able to stand up right surprisingly. The d-link on the inside pouch where the bladder is held is great for holding the water bag upright. Next to that d-link is another pocket for things you don't need to access regularly during a round (ie.keys or something). I also really appreciated being able to pull from my back a putter and just go. Really only needed to take the bag off for driving, but not because the discs would fly out, but because I felt like I was throwing off my procedure for a drive with it on.

All in all, love the bag. Love the bladder they sell too! I used to have a camel back that the army issued me and it was such a pain to clean. I don't know if camelback has updated since then or not, but this one is entirely reversible and super easy to clean. Plus the house is easily detached for cleaning as well.

If you are on the fence and want something that can easily hold 5 discs and a bladder, this is the bag. I honestly would prefer to run with only 4 discs though. Simply for the reach around putter. It just feels awkward to tug at the putter while it is sharing a spot with another disc. That's just me though.

Thanks for the review! Was initially on the fence for this bag and the shift but have come down to the decision that the focus fits my style of play (at least for summer).