• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

That's a good point. I had a small, empty bottle in it last night.

That helps but you also just get better at placing the bag properly if that makes sense. Initially I had the same issue but it rarely falls over at this point.

I dont own a v3 but re: vertical storage the bag will break in a little but not going to help with that 3rd pocket if its "improved". The OG version i just stick a extra dish towel in there... Sucks to hear its still a problem. I dont find much need though like you mentioned its just there and should work better.

I dont own a v3 but re: vertical storage the bag will break in a little but not going to help with that 3rd pocket if its "improved". The OG version i just stick a extra dish towel in there... Sucks to hear its still a problem. I dont find much need though like you mentioned its just there and should work better.

I found that that storage area actually works well for holding a few extra discs. I tucked a couple of my crutch discs in there that I don't use much, but do rely on for getting out of tough spots. Essentially, I treat it as a fourth vertical storage pocket.

Fully loaded, the bag stands up pretty well. I don't expect I'll be using it much in a lighter configuration, so it shouldn't really be much of an issue.

There are a couple minor things that I didn't like though. The waist storage pockets are too small. I found I could comfortably fit one item in each between keys, wallet or phone. That meant I had to leave my wallet in the car. I also really missed having a quick access spot for my phone. When I'm keeping score on it, it's really not ideal to keep it in the waist pocket. If I forget to zipper it closed, I feel like it could very easily slip out. Similarly, there's no good place to keep a paper scorecard. If I can't figure out a good solution for that, I can't use the Shift for tournaments, or even league rounds.

Are you talking about rebel or shift? I was replying to rebel reviewer. Id like to check out a shift but have no real need at this time.

I bought a Towch and clipped it on my fiancé's Shift with carabiners. Instant storage.

Where did you clip it? I have a Towch too, but it seems that anywhere I put it, it would get in the way of existing storage.

My Towch is also orange and would ruin the green/gray color scheme. Can't have that.

Admittedly, it's not an elegant solution. Since she usually carries on just one shoulder, the pic attached shows one option that makes it a bit easier to access. Otherwise, to keep it out of the way, the clips just go on the same d-ring and the Towch sort of folds in half. But, for items like keys, wallets, snacks, or stuff that is infrequently accessed it allows for rearrangement and frees up the bottom storage a bit. It could also serve as a second bottle holder.

As for the phone, I think it would work to use the mini pocket and sew or glue some velcro on either side to fasten a strap that would come over the top of the phone.

Attachments

• 20160612_104043.jpg
    20160612_104043.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 66
As for the phone, I think it would work to use the mini pocket and sew or glue some velcro on either side to fasten a strap that would come over the top of the phone.

I considered using the mini pocket, but my phone is too tall to fit sideways, and is way too insecure to go in vertically.

I keep my phone in the mini pocket vertically most of the time, and haven't had issues with it falling out, even when bending over or slinging the pack over my shoulder. Only time that it's given me any concern is if I encounter some sketchy looking people hanging by a teepad or something and they could swipe it easily as a crime of opportunity.

What would you need? I find the shift to be more than enough for long rounds.

I can get 16-17 discs depending on how many mids I carry. The bottom storage is perfect as well. I suppose extra drinks could be an issue tho.

More worried about having enough fluids, but after playing a couple of 4.5 hour tournament rounds this weekend, I think I'm pretty comfortable with having a 40 oz hydroflask plus a 24 oz Mizu shoved in the lower storage - in terms of drink capacity at least. It's a little bit awkward having the mizu in the lower storage poking out, but my spare putter is the bottom disc in vertical storage so it didn't make anything too difficult getting in and out.

I really don't have any issues with the bag at all, and I'm very happy with the purchase. It's just going to take a little time to adjust to having a single drink holder, which I don't think I've had since I used a fade crunch box, like 7-8 years ago.

I've had a Rebel (v.2) for several months now, and have really enjoyed it. Quality bag, comfortable to wear. But the simple truth is, it's more bag than I need. I think carrying around 22+ discs is proving harmful to my game. I know I don't HAVE to carry that many in the Rebel, but in disc golf as in other areas, my gear expands to fill the available space. And if I carry them, I feel compelled to use them.

I feel like the "sweet spot" for me would be about 15-16 discs or so: maybe 8 or so molds, with backups for most, maybe an extra putter or two for putting practice. I've heard great things about the Shift and think that might be my perfect bag. For those of you that have carried both the Shift and the Rebel: what is your experience carrying them? Can you compare them weight- and comfort-wise when they are fully loaded? How much less storage is there in the Shift? I don't think the single drink holder would be much of an issue, since I don't usually go out for multiple round days.

Also, if anyone with a Shift is looking to "bag up" to a Rebel, message me...maybe we can work something out.

I've had a Rebel (v.2) for several months now, and have really enjoyed it. Quality bag, comfortable to wear. But the simple truth is, it's more bag than I need. I think carrying around 22+ discs is proving harmful to my game. I know I don't HAVE to carry that many in the Rebel, but in disc golf as in other areas, my gear expands to fill the available space. And if I carry them, I feel compelled to use them.

I feel like the "sweet spot" for me would be about 15-16 discs or so: maybe 8 or so molds, with backups for most, maybe an extra putter or two for putting practice. I've heard great things about the Shift and think that might be my perfect bag. For those of you that have carried both the Shift and the Rebel: what is your experience carrying them? Can you compare them weight- and comfort-wise when they are fully loaded? How much less storage is there in the Shift? I don't think the single drink holder would be much of an issue, since I don't usually go out for multiple round days.

Also, if anyone with a Shift is looking to "bag up" to a Rebel, message me...maybe we can work something out.

Don't have a rebel. But on thing I'm missing with the shift is better access to storage. I have no complaints on the shift for what it is it's perfect. For the small extras and my phablet the shift falls short. That is on me not the bag. Having the room in the rebel would make my set up better in some ways. What about sung the divider to leave space in the middle for towels or using one of the verticals pockets for storage and ditch some discs. In a way you can always make a big bag smaller, but not a smaller bag bigger.

Well, it had to happen. I pulled the trigger on a new Rebel. The $25 off for Father's Day got me. I will write up a review and compare it to the Shift.

Admittedly, it's not an elegant solution. Since she usually carries on just one shoulder, the pic attached shows one option that makes it a bit easier to access. Otherwise, to keep it out of the way, the clips just go on the same d-ring and the Towch sort of folds in half. But, for items like keys, wallets, snacks, or stuff that is infrequently accessed it allows for rearrangement and frees up the bottom storage a bit. It could also serve as a second bottle holder.

I like the idea of the Towch clipped on the side! Never heard of it before but I think I'll order one. My Shift usually ends up more stuffed after a round than when I start the round.. Even subtracting 2 beers that I will drink on course. I very often find up to 2-3 discs on the course per round or pick up beer cans that people endlessly litter and it seems the Towch could hold and any all of those things. It would even keep the dirtbag litterer's musty beer can remnants from collecting inside the main compartment. Thanks for the idea!

After playing a 3 day tournament this weekend I can honestly say that the shift is the right bag for me. Never was wanting more room, had all the discs I needed, held all the extras I wanted to carry.

If anyone is looking for a medium bag with great ergonomics, look no further than the shift.

Latest posts