• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC coverage

Using that argument you could pretty much determine that NONE of the current disc golf coverage is really 'worth it.'

Our numbers (fancy 'bells and whistles' post-produced coverage included) pale in comparison to even the most niche of eSports.

You could, though be "enough" I just meant whatever number the tour operators and TDs think justifies the effort and expense. Regardless of how any other sport does.

Considering that Jussi probably isn't working with his own money here, it's easy to understand his hesitation to always run live coverage, even at one of the biggest tournaments.

I think he's ultimately trying to reach a bigger audience (and potential sponsors). He can't funnel tens of thousands into live coverage, only to have 6,000 max for viewers.

They can't go to sponsors with those numbers. But they can produce edited coverage, at a lower price point, and reach tens if not hundreds of thousands. That's an easier sell.

Plus they can use the money that would have been put into live coverage on payout, promotion, etc.

With the USDGC, we were all spoiled when Innova was pumping whatever ($) into it. Granted it's still their money, perhaps they feel the need to be more selective with it. Especially if they want it to be sustainable.

Maybe I'm alone; but I much prefer the live streamed stuff over the post-produced stuff -- even when not actually watching it live. I'll choose to watch/listen to the live stream a week later over a post-produced version. The post-produced stuff is too fast of a pace, the nonstop action is actually boring to me and can't hold my attention. Let's compare it to baseball, do people watch post produced baseball games with all the deadtime edited out? maybe they actually do? I don't know.

I agree here. The post-produced stuff currently coming out is almost a little too fast. It doesn't really give you time to appreciate the shot or consider where that puts them in relation to the other players as the next player is already throwing.

The USDGC is almost the perfect venue for livestreaming, other than the cell coverage. The thing that a lot of people find unwatchable about the live streams is the dead time. At this event you could set up a camera on 17 and use that to fill in the dead space, kinda like they do(or at least have done in the past) for the TPC at Sawgrass(I think its Sawgrass anyway? lol)does for the island hole there.

... I would like to see the post-edited stuff be obligated to put in a certain amount of commercials (3 or 5?) of the event sponsors...
I'm sure they'd be more than obliged to, provided those crews reaped the primary benefit of advertisements.
...Business wise... I get it. It makes sense because doing live coverage right is EXPENSIVE. But it conveniently ignores that fact that pandoras box has already been opened. The viewer/consumer is expecting a live product because of other tournaments and years prior...

...Hell... we are all spoiled. Each week we watch HIGHLY produced sports events (and eSports events) for free on TV (and streaming). So we are completely desensitized to how amazing that level of production is and just how much money and manpower it costs...

Of course, the counter argument is that not nearly enough are expecting live coverage. We haven't been watching (in sufficient numbers).

Using that argument you could pretty much determine that NONE of the current disc golf coverage is really 'worth it.'...

Like it or not, both pro tours and the online dg media need to be run on a business model in order to be successful. They have to maintain a return on investment because they rely on backing capital. I hope that profitability is in their future becuase THAT is when things get exciting.

Disc Golf is hardly "worth it" financially to the vast majority of golfers. Ah well, I love it too.

Low live viewers is due to poor promoting, spin tv has been slacking this year.

I think has far more to do with low interest, not promotion.

Live coverage is much better to put on the screen hidden at my desk behind a big file cabinet, but I honestly have little interest in watching the USDGC due to the course.....live or memorex.

"Live" also has the handicap of being shown when potential viewers might be playing, or otherwise enjoying daylight. "Post" can be viewed anytime, and pretty much anywhere.

On the other hand, "Live" has the advantage of suspense. Even if you avoid knowing the outcome before watch "Post", or even "Live-Delayed", you know the result has already been determined.

USDGC is my favorite tourney to follow and watch. I follow and watch lots of DG. I won't be following and watching the USDGC this year. Jussi over promised and under delivered. Business 101 must have been skipped.

I think making and selling the DVDs from Pro Worlds and possibly USDGC in the past is one of the few and perhaps only tourney vids that have broken even and made a little bit extra some years. Of course, that much time delay before delivery would likely not work anymore.

I can almost guaranty that the post edited stuff isn't bringing in many new viewers, but they are catering to our faithful watchers and people who just eat up disc golf.

Love ya JVD, but that isn't true. I've gotten so many messages of people that have stumbled upon our vids and got into disc golf, or started to follow the pro scene because of our videos. For every message I get I'm sure there's 10x in the same position, that don't leave a message.

I'd actually argue it's the opposite, that post produced brings in more new viewers than live. It's faster paced, shorter (less intimidating) and gets more views. Seems like a recipe to bring in more viewers.

Considering that Jussi probably isn't working with his own money here, it's easy to understand his hesitation to always run live coverage, even at one of the biggest tournaments.

I think he's ultimately trying to reach a bigger audience (and potential sponsors). He can't funnel tens of thousands into live coverage, only to have 6,000 max for viewers.

They can't go to sponsors with those numbers. But they can produce edited coverage, at a lower price point, and reach tens if not hundreds of thousands. That's an easier sell.

Plus they can use the money that would have been put into live coverage on payout, promotion, etc.

With the USDGC, we were all spoiled when Innova was pumping whatever ($) into it. Granted it's still their money, perhaps they feel the need to be more selective with it. Especially if they want it to be sustainable.

I think you've got it right with Jussi's thinking on the matter.

I'm sure they'd be more than obliged to, provided those crews reaped the primary benefit of advertisements.

And you'd be correct.

Live coverage requires permission from the tournament. If Jussi is saying no live video coverage (other than Facebook), then there's no live coverage by anyone. I'm sure Smashboxx would be more than happy to cover the tournament, but they're not going to barge in uninvited, and possibly unwelcome.

So there is no live video allowed but yet hes going to use FB to stream live video?

Um...? Ill be periscoping the whole thing! WUT NOW?!

I much prefer 40 minute edited rounds by Marty/CCDG/Spin. Three and a half hour live disc golf broadcasts are not something in which i care to invest my time.

Thats fine. But there are THOUSANDS who do. This is not a live vs recorded argument. There is room for both. I am not arguing that we should be at USDGC on Innova's dime. That is their decision to make with their money. Jussi has a vision and is working within that vision. I respect him.

The average NFL game has a out 16 minutes of actual action. Otherwise it is a lot of commercials, watching people stand in a huddle, and shots of the sidelines. And the next day the NFL usually offers a condensed version of their games. If you cut out ALL the other BS, disc golf is about 20 actual minutes of "action".

TLDR But my thoughts:

"Live" also has the handicap of being shown when potential viewers might be playing, or otherwise enjoying daylight. "Post" can be viewed anytime, and pretty much anywhere.

On the other hand, "Live" has the advantage of suspense. Even if you avoid knowing the outcome before watch "Post", or even "Live-Delayed", you know the result has already been determined.

I love watching live because Sports are best watched live - with your buddies or not - but you're all watching "together" it's an event.

I think has far more to do with low interest, not promotion.

Live coverage is much better to put on the screen hidden at my desk behind a big file cabinet, but I honestly have little interest in watching the USDGC due to the course.....live or memorex.

I think it's a bit of both interest and promotion. I think we've diluted the market on Live. The years we're talking about 3-5k viewers live, there were less than a handful of live events for the year. Now we've had many, many live events. Every single one i've been on has teetered between 300 - 1000 viewers. We've lost some of that "exclusive" feeling of a big, live event.

Thats fine. But there are THOUSANDS who do. This is not a live vs recorded argument. There is room for both. I am not arguing that we should be at USDGC on Innova's dime. That is their decision to make with their money. Jussi has a vision and is working within that vision. I respect him.

The average NFL game has a out 16 minutes of actual action. Otherwise it is a lot of commercials, watching people stand in a huddle, and shots of the sidelines. And the next day the NFL usually offers a condensed version of their games. If you cut out ALL the other BS, disc golf is about 20 actual minutes of "action".

And that is why I don't watch football. Basketball, soccer, hockey, anything is better. :)

For the media savvy types...there is no doubt that small bite sized chunks of coverage passed / shared around the social networks will probably get more eyeballs than one post edited or live presented stream. But still...doesn't make sense to "do it all" live coverage, bite sized streams, post produced, etc. smdh..