• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

VERY overstable mids

I think the drone lets me throw those shots without worrying as much about form perfection or how far I am throwing the shot. It's just reliable. I can throw my drone at full power into a 15mph headwind and it just won't flip.
If you don't care how far the disc goes, then I can't really argue with that. For anyone who actually does care how far their disc goes I'd highly recommend an overstable driver over an overstable mid. Lack of distance control is the main reason I think overstable mids are a bad idea for a vast majority of players.

Millenium quantum sentinel! I'm pretty sure all these discs are made from the original CE plastic. Its kind of like a super overstable roc. This is my favorite wind mid range disc.

Distance control is exactly what and overstable mid gives you. I think what alt scott is saying is that when throwing a OS mid as compared to a OS driver he does not have to worry (as much) about over throwing the target.

If you don't care how far the disc goes, then I can't really argue with that. For anyone who actually does care how far their disc goes I'd highly recommend an overstable driver over an overstable mid. Lack of distance control is the main reason I think overstable mids are a bad idea for a vast majority of players.
Distance control. I think this is my main problem with the argument. (Of course it's based on my own findings so it probably doesn't apply to everybody.) I don't seem to experience this problem. In fact the lack of glide makes controlling distance even easier.

Guess I'm weird, but I prefer understable mids (Meteor). YOu can still put it on a hyzer if necessary, but its way harder to throw an overstable disc on an anny.

I don't understand your reasoning here. Error in distance control would have a smaller margin with a mid that has the same overstability as a driver. Since they don't go as far, a change in percentage power input results in less distance change overall.

Now if you're saying that you need a disc to go farther (further?) then of course you'd need a driver in many circumstances.

I don't understand your reasoning here. Error in distance control would have a smaller margin with a mid that has the same overstability as a driver. Since they don't go as far, a change in percentage power input results in less distance change overall.
And I'm saying that's false. It's backwards from normal, but really overstable mids tend to be so overstable and glideless that you either throw them at full power and get a bit less than putter type distances or you back off and they go like half as far. Getting the in between distances is much more difficult. With very overstable drivers it's a lot easier to control exactly how much distance you get with height, angle and power. I have no problem going anywhere from 200'-350' with an E Spirit. I can get more like either 150' or 250' with a Demon and chances are it will land in the same spot unless I really change how I throw it (steep hyzer to steep anhyzer) the difference in placement will be minimal. Sure it's consistant, but unless you need one of those two specific lines the disc is useless.

Another way to put it is that really overstable mids only excel at a couple specific shots while very overstable drivers are a lot more versatile.

I see what you're saying but disagree. Overstable midranges do react quite specifically to throwing with less than full power, especially when broken in a bit. Just my experience though. I also carry a super overstable driver (night shift destroyer) that I use depending on the situation. It usually isn't a tough decision for me which disc to use and is usually dependent on distance and/or desired skip.

I'm known for carrying a heavy bag and if I had to play with only a few discs the drone would come out and I would use the NS destroyer (only because it does add the option of distance and skip). I guess all I'm saying is that there are plenty of shots I would much rather use the drone than the destroyer for (see my original post).

I would say that having a OS Mid in the bag has helped me a lot. Not just on drives but on those shots that you need something to hook and hook fast with little skip. I use a Champ Gator for a lot of those shots but if I want to drive I use my Cro and that thing just goes. With the OD Driver I feel that I have to power down too much and that messes with my shot. Like I winnie arm it and then I lose a stroke. My mids are Cro, Classic Roc, and Champion Gator. My mids are what make my scores lower.

It seems like I'm hearing that the Wasp and the Buzzz might be a bit of an overlap in my bag. Is that a fair thing to say or am I misreading the responses?

I keep an over stable mid in the bag for spike hyzers, skip shots, flex flicks, severe head winds. It is like a specialty disc for me. I use the Drone.

It seems like I'm hearing that the Wasp and the Buzzz might be a bit of an overlap in my bag. Is that a fair thing to say or am I misreading the responses?

They do kinda over lap each other the buzzz is a modified wasp mold that got a lot more use than the wasp. I thought for a while Discraft was going to stop making wasps but then they seem to have gained more popularity.

One nice thing about a flx drone as compared to an overstable driver is that you can throw hard low shots without worrying about skip at the end. You might get a 5 foot skip instead of a 40 foot skip.

That's what overstable putters are for. :)

I got a drone a few wks ago and it has done nothing but save strokes for me. It is a utility disc, thats what I use it for.

It's the Demon/Drone overstable mids that I don't think are necessary.
garublador said:
Another way to put it is that really overstable mids only excel at a couple specific shots while very overstable drivers are a lot more versatile.

I'm in this camp as well. The most overstable mid I have is a seasoned Nebula, the xXx does the Drone/Demon/Gator type stuff just as well.

The battle continues...

I used to carry one, but at the advice of many here, started learning to power down the next speed disc. At the time I threw my mids about 275, and my Drone was good to about 250.

If I have to make a headwind approach, I don't use a Rhyno or Pig, I use a newish Roc. If I have to make a headwind drive (<300ft, which is typically a Roc for me) I will either choose a newish Roc with more hyzer, or maybe power down a Teebird or even my Firebird, as the wind increases.

As far as big fade/hook shots, with little or no headwind, I've done well lately with using nose up hyzer releases with my Voodoo and Rocs and powering down an Eagle. I don't recommend nose up into a headwind, so then out comes the Firebird.

While I really liked the Drone, I found it very limiting to one shot. I already use Rocs, Eagles, and Firebirds (or Rocs, Gazelles, and a Whippet previously)

Sure, I've messed it up into a wind before, and I know a Drone would have saved the day, but I've learned so much more about line shaping by playing around with small changes in nose and hyzer angle that I think I'm a better player. I've gained confidence in me, not just a disc.

Last edited:

Latest posts