• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram bowing out of the Disc game

I always wanted a couple of control drivers in the Speed 10-11 category. They were dead set on a 16 disc model which had a huge gap between Speed 8 and 13.

That was probably one of the bigger marketing wth's? from them. It seemed like the planned on these will be all the discs anyone should ever need, rather than what most everyone else does and make everything possible.

Of course some of that could have been cost driven too. I don't know what it takes for Vibram to tool up a compression mold, but I know the process is way different than plastic injection molding.

I always wanted a couple of control drivers in the Speed 10-11 category. They were dead set on a 16 disc model which had a huge gap between Speed 8 and 13.

This for sure is one of the reasons my enthusiasm for Vibram waned.

i bagged some of there mold for a while my son and wife still do bag some of there stuff. They were good in the rain is about all i cane say about them.

They're the living worst.

(at DG discs, anyway)

7rwSpeH.gif

I threw a Summit for a while; their putter and mid line up was pretty solid, and they definitely brought a unique and funky angle to the game. Plus they had the Birdie Bash, which was right up there with the Discraft Ace Race. While they were definitely a smaller brand, I wouldn't say disc golf is better without them

I own a total of 4 Vibram discs. I really like the feel of them, but particularly in putters I didn't like the big bump in the center with their logo and I didn't like all the embossed printing on the bottom of the flight plate. I prefer the firm discs and I generally carry a Vibram fairway driver to throw just for fun. Hate to see them go but wont affect my game much.

X-link ridges were pretty money for a long time until I learned some control. It was nice to wing them at baskets on hills without fear of roll aways. I might even check my collection to see if I have enough for gimmicky courses with lots of precipice or hillside baskets.

Not surprised the company is stepping away from Disc Golf, most of the discs were too soft to use. I saw my brother use a Vibram disc and on the hard ground the disc seemed to beat up the point he never used the disc after that round. I bet the putters the company makes are sticky for those who like sticky discs.

This is too bad. The Ridge is a really solid driving putter and the Obex is one of my favorite Roc clones (great glide with solid HSS). The Launch was also really nice with more of a "worn in Roc" flight. I just got into Vibram this winter (had only tried a couple molds of theirs a long time ago). The wet weather grip is nice, but not amazing for me (no better than a lot of DX although their durability for drivers is much more like premium plastic). I guess I'll be going back to using my Friction glove for winter golf and give up on a Vibram bag as an alternative. :\ Might have to stock up on Obexes and Ridges though.

Not surprised the company is stepping away from Disc Golf, most of the discs were too soft to use. I saw my brother use a Vibram disc and on the hard ground the disc seemed to beat up the point he never used the disc after that round. I bet the putters the company makes are sticky for those who like sticky discs.

Say what now?

They only released soft discs once a year, usually around October which they called Softober. Firms and Mediums are plenty hard. Once again, bad information.

Some get their best distance with the softs...myself included. Not too soft at all unless you are trying to force the disc. That won't ever work. They don't hardly tear up or cut up like plastic. Tough little bastages. Warp it and a bit of heat will restore it quickly to new or near new. Watched Steve Dodge restore one that was bent close to 90 degrees. I think that was his favorite trick at the demos.

Yes, I think mine are the most durable discs I have ever had!:thmbup:

Say what now?

They only released soft discs once a year, usually around October which they called Softober. Firms and Mediums are plenty hard. Once again, bad information.

Those discs are not soft, I might have used the wrong word Soft, but not durable was the word for the base Rubber Vibram discs.

The only way I've ever really damaged a Vibram disc is by throwing it perpendicularly into a street sign, at full rip. That was a medium and it took a chunk out of the disc. Hard x-link was little less durable, I'm not sure soft could be destroyed or worn in.

Could you elaborate on the ideas that hurt the product? I unfortunately never have thrown a vibram disc and don't know much about their foray into DG. Every time I thought to myself I wanted to check out something of theirs I ended up with the impression that I couldn't find anything that my buzzzes, rocs, teebirds, eagles etc couldn't do better.

EDIT: Just realized in my previous post I referred to the vibram discs as "plastic" - maybe this is telling, heh

I've said plenty on the old vibram threads. Just throw non-gimmick plastic.

Well I got my order in to the Vibram store to stock up a bit. For anyone interested, there appears to be some sort of mistake on the Vibram store where it applies multiple discounts to Medium Granite Obexes. Most other discs are $10 for firm and $13 for medium whereas the Medium Granite Obexes are $5 because of a couple stacking discounts being applied. :D The discounts appear to be somewhat shoddily applied all over the place though because there were a few cases where Mediums were $10 or firms were $13 although normally it was the other way around.