• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I played a couple of casual rounds recently with some of the pros near where I live. It seems they are all very impressed with the way I can throw a Lace. There really is nothing quite as amazing as throwing a long bomb downhill with a Lace. It is a thing of beauty to watch.

REI will be carrying Vibram discs; although it sounds like it's just a handful of locations to start off.

Good idea, but the way REI's buyers stock the Innova discs, it seems like they have no idea what molds will sell well, and Innova doesn't seem to help them learn. Not that the treatment could be any worse than the neglect of discs at the PGA Tour Superstore in Roswell, Ga, but I would like to know that Vibram is making an effort to educate the REI buyers, as well as the retail staff, about how to sell discs. What I see in stores near me that aren't specially focused in disc golf gear is really discouraging. Maybe Vibram can help change that.

Good idea, but the way REI's buyers stock the Innova discs, it seems like they have no idea what molds will sell well, and Innova doesn't seem to help them learn. Not that the treatment could be any worse than the neglect of discs at the PGA Tour Superstore in Roswell, Ga, but I would like to know that Vibram is making an effort to educate the REI buyers, as well as the retail staff, about how to sell discs. What I see in stores near me that aren't specially focused in disc golf gear is really discouraging. Maybe Vibram can help change that.

I spent an afternoon with the REI buyer last fall and we have worked out what will do best in their stores. They've picked 10 stores to start the REI test and they will each carry the Medium Lace, Ibex and Ridge and the 170-max weight ranges. The initial REI stores will be:

Denver, Anchorage, Seattle, Salt Lake, Berkely, Bend, Portland, Spokane and Greenville, SC.

Vibram and REI have a great relationship and we will work closely with them to ensure that they have a good selection that works well for their stores.

Note: We have a great relationship with all of our retailers!

Anyone have any experience with the Soft Ridge as a Turbo Putter? Can the floppy soft version stand up to the task or will it flop like a tortilla?

Depends on the temp down here. They are pretty floppy if it's in the 70s or higher.

no - too soft :( I can turbo it but have to put it on a spike annie spin cycle to get any distance.

Anyone have any experience with the Soft Ridge as a Turbo Putter? Can the floppy soft version stand up to the task or will it flop like a tortilla?

Steve - played at Hawk Hallow with Vegan Ray last weekend. What was the deal with the "vomit" putters??? He's still using them.

I played a couple of casual rounds recently with some of the pros near where I live. It seems they are all very impressed with the way I can throw a Lace. There really is nothing quite as amazing as throwing a long bomb downhill with a Lace. It is a thing of beauty to watch.

^^Truer words have never been typed^^ The flight of a lace is more beautiful than a double rainbow.

REI and Vibram are a good fit.
REI attacts the kind of customers that can afford and appreciate Vibram, aka, smart, good looking, upwardly mobile urbanites.

Much better than Bobs Discount Toys and Pets.
No offense to Bob.

I switched from voodoos (which I used for years) to soles and love them. Great feel and really straight flying. Need to pick up a soft...have a couple mediums and a firm.

I have a hard time deciding between putting with Voodoos or Ridges, but right now the Voodoo is winning inside the circle and Vibram putters are winning for tee shots and approaches. As a putter, how does the feel of the Sole compare against them?

I spent an afternoon with the REI buyer last fall and we have worked out what will do best in their stores. They've picked 10 stores to start the REI test and they will each carry the Medium Lace, Ibex and Ridge and the 170-max weight ranges. The initial REI stores will be:

Denver, Anchorage, Seattle, Salt Lake, Berkely, Bend, Portland, Spokane and Greenville, SC.

Vibram and REI have a great relationship and we will work closely with them to ensure that they have a good selection that works well for their stores.

My criticism of REI's selection of Innova discs should not be mistaken for criticism of REI themselves, but when I go to my local stores and see a thin selection of the less popular driver molds in Champion and Star plastic, but not Teebirds, Star Aeros, but not Aviars, and maybe the occasional Shark or Valkyrie, but never the first sign of a Roc, and never more than a poorly stocked endcap of discs, something has been lost in translation, and it hurts my soul. It's like Innova has put its worst foot forward at REI. I would hate to see a similarly sad experience for the introduction of Vibram discs to REI, but it sounds like you have a good plan to start.

Will Vibram discs be available at the same time on REI's website, or will I have to wait until REI brings Vibram discs to one of the metro Atlanta stores?

Also, have you considered packaging a three disc "starter set" with a Ridge, an Ibex, and a beginner-friendly driver? I have the impression that the Innova starter set is the best value, and likely the best selling, of the dg items at REI. With the pretty colors y'all produce, you could really draw attention with a well-designed package of three.

Last edited:
Also, have you considered packaging a three disc "starter set" with a Ridge, an Ibex, and a beginner-friendly driver? I have the impression that the Innova starter set is the best value, and likely the best selling, of the dg items at REI. With the pretty colors y'all produce, you could really draw attention with a well-designed package of three.

Agreed!

The lightest X-Link Firm Laces so far are 162 grams. Rather than tinker with figuring out how to make the lighter ones work, I've instructed that we should manufacture what we can as quick as we can. When we get a good stock of Laces on hand, we will revisit the lighter firms.

Thanks Steve. Please keep us posted on when 150 class firms will be available. I like the distance I can get out of a medium, but for a low-powered player I would love to beat one up and see if I can do a little more with it.

Woot! Denver! Any word on a start date for selling the Vibram discs in REI? I'd like to make sure REI knows that we like them carrying Vibram.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts