• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my Summit for free (brand new) and I swear its magic. Only problem is that it's black and a pain to find (have to look for the yellow Vibram logo). Oh well, great disc either way.

Discing down is a great idea, but don't neglect the midranges. I think a better idea would be take out all or most of your drivers, and treat your midranges as drivers, if you felt like simplifying things. Or play a putter round. But don't try to fully replace mids with a putter and driver combo.

I just picked up a VP and a Ridge last night and love them already. The Ridge drives and works like my rocs but I can tell they'll help my form already. I'm pretty sure they're firms which stinks because I believe they work better for anything but putting because when they don't stick THEY ROLL, like a tire down a hill. Biggest drawback by far. But I want to try the other plastics.

Also not sure how much I like them for putting... even though they're putters. Looking to try a Summit though.

Just purchased a VP and a ridge is on the way. these feel nothing like I imagined. I like the feel but I don't get to test anything out until thursday. Argh the pain in waiting.

I got my Summit for free (brand new) and I swear its magic. Only problem is that it's black and a pain to find (have to look for the yellow Vibram logo). Oh well, great disc either way.

Why is blac their go to color it seems?

When looking for chings black discs I want to :wall:

What about a disc golf bag with Vibram rubber on the bottom? Backpack style please.

Horizontal disc compartment like Revo/Grip with cage. Handle on top like Grip, strong so it doesn't rip off Vibram rubber can be the handle too. Putter Pocket on one side like Simian. Loop on other side for stool like Grip. Water bottle holders like Simian. Padded back with grooves to keep airflow between bag and back, like this:

best-day-hiking-backpack-black-diamond-nitro-pack-1.jpg

14-16 main compartment. 2 in an adjustable putter pocket (so only 1 isn't floppy).

I'd buy it. Or actually, I'll gladly accept the first one as a "design fee".

There isn't much of that post I could nitpick on. Make this man's bag, it sounds border line perfect.

Why is blac their go to color it seems?

When looking for chings black discs I want to :wall:

You realize black is like the first color that sells out on just about any putter right? Also that only the first run of any Vibram disc is run in black.

Stay in the fairway and you won't lose your disc no matter the color. Oh, and don't play in the dark with black discs. Ironically, I have never lost a clear or black disc. If you pay attention to your shot for the entire flight you typically stand a good chance of finding it. Compared to when you throw a bad shot, then drop your head in shame, only to realize you need to look back up to see where it goes. Doing the latter has cost me plastic.

I recently purchased a Ridge X-Link Firm and it is great, the grip is extremly nice!

You realize black is like the first color that sells out on just about any putter right? Also that only the first run of any Vibram disc is run in black.

Stay in the fairway and you won't lose your disc no matter the color. Oh, and don't play in the dark with black discs. Ironically, I have never lost a clear or black disc. If you pay attention to your shot for the entire flight you typically stand a good chance of finding it. Compared to when you throw a bad shot, then drop your head in shame, only to realize you need to look back up to see where it goes. Doing the latter has cost me plastic.

Shots the roll into the brush or down a hill. And I normally play during the late afternoon (Georgia's WAAAAAAAAY too hot :thmbdown: ).

I picked black myself and it was dumb. I wish I got the burgundy-ish one with the black speckles, but that would've blended with the pinestraw. Oh well, nice discs either way.

Met Steve Dodge at the Am Worlds last night and tried out the new softy putters. Made 8 of 10 shots right outside 20 feet and I've never felt so confident in a putter. I will be using these things and after gripping the Ascent I'm convinced I'm going to be a Vibram fan boy and one day (hopefully) player. I was talking to the guy who runs Sun King Discs at the fly mart (super cool dude by the one, friendliest vendor there) and he said "those things are the future of disc golf" and said so in a way that almost seemed remorseful.

I know it will be hard to tear people away from Discraft and Innova but I think time will speak for itself. I stuck around the Vibram table a bit, because Steve was giving away some stuff through a putting contest, and person after person came up to oohhh and aahhh the Ascent and Softy and check out the specialty discs they're making. I think it ended up being the most popular booth all night.

My bag is going Vibram and I'll be posting a lot more about it here soon as I test out my new Summit, Ridge, VP, and hopefully tonight Summit Softy.

(p.s. I'll be at the Am worlds clinic and Steve is letting people toss the Ascent around 8. My girlfriend and I will give it a try.)

Picked up a Softy VP last night at AM Worlds after testing it at the table. Steve said the only place that had them was DiscMart and he only gave them 5 to sell. I got one, wanted 2. I was using RPro aviars because they were so soft but these are flat out floppy (and durable as all get out).

I can honestly say I have never felt so confident with a putter. Will you do the same with the Summit and Ridge? How much of a difference would that plastic make to them, I wonder how the different molds will work with the different plastic?rubber?

Second I really dig the XLink and Firms as midranges and driving putters. I think I like the XLink more though.

Lastly Steve was awesome enough to let my girlfriend and I toss the two Ascents he brought, one XLink one Firm. The XLink Ascent was awesome for me from the first throw. I put it right next to my TL and it held the same line but it felt awesome coming out of my hand and the flight time seemed much faster than my TL (I usually watch the TL glide and land, I could only watch the Ascent land :)) but I turned over the Firm Ascent. my second throw was the same for the XLink and I corrected the Firm for a nice glide. They are noticeably different.

My girlfriend forehanded the XLink like her banshee and it was a natural fit for her. The surprise came when she hyzer flipped the Firm Ascent for some whopping distance low to the ground.

I already know when I get them they will replace my Leopard, TL, and Banshee. Try Vibram stuff, the guy from Sun King Discs (awesome guy, gave me some great deals) said they're the future of the sport and I for one am convinced as well. Going to play tournaments soon with these.

Last edited:
Sounds like another disc I need to try out. Also how can one disc replace the TL, Leopard, and Banshee? All the banshee I've thrown have been very overstable.

Picked up a Softy VP last night at AM Worlds after testing it at the table.

I'm SO glad that the teeming masses will soon get to enjoy this incredible material. In the 2 years or so I've been using its floppier prototype versions (VP, Summit, & Ridge), it has contributed to a striking increase in confidence (and make %) on putts inside the circle, particularly 20 feet & in. Welcome to the cult, cfair.

Sounds like another disc I need to try out. Also how can one disc replace the TL, Leopard, and Banshee? All the banshee I've thrown have been very overstable.

Here is why. The XLink is much more overstable and the Firm was more understable. The XLink Firm Ascent had to be thrown like my Leopard and it oddly flew about the same. The XLink went just as far as my TL but had a touch more fade at the end making it close to a slightly beat in Teebird. I like my TL a lot but the Banshee is for wind duty and really one Teebird could take the place of a TL and Banshee. I just like having a dedicated wind driver for when I don't feel confident in the TL (which isn't often).

My concern though is the differences the plastics make. Would Vibram then make stable and understable counterparts if one disc can do all three jobs? In the putters I myself don't notice a difference in XLink and XLink Firm (kinda but not really). In the Ascent the difference was clear by the flight plate and wing where the putters have thicker material at all parts of it.

I'm with you Ray, its weird to say. But I'll gladly be welcomed in...

Last edited:
First 3 rounds with my xlink v.p.

I won't say it took my breath away, but thank god it's durable as hell. It releases from my hand for driving much better than my lovely wizard and the Ion I carried for driving. I hit some trees pretty hard on the first few throws while I was learning the disc. I could see scuffs on the disc, but couldn't feel them no matter how hard I tried. So I ran to the road way and threw some forehanders across the concrete thinking I could easily scuff the bottom. Not a scratch. Love it.

I have a pink ridge on the way, and I'm loving throwing the VP. I haven't gotten into the zone with it for putting, but the driving/approaching throws I'm loving it. With the way I lob putt, it's sinking into the ground faster than I like for ~40 feet and in, but seems an easy adjustment for me now that I shouldnt have to carry 2 putters for driving/putting anymore.

Thank you all for giving them a try, especially you pig throwers, if you know what I mean! :)

And thanks for trying to scuff it up. Yeah, like that's gonna work! :doh:

Hey Steve:
L-O-V-E....My R-Pro Aviars...
Which of the Vibram putters is the closest to it???
Lets see if you can win me over :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.