• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Around here the Vibram discs are falling off hard.

Nobody wants the things anymore.The guys that work at the local shops around here said they can't give the things away.

I wonder if it's like this everywhere?

Nobody wants the things anymore.The guys that work at the local shops around here said they can't give the things away.

Send some discount discs this way!

Send some discount discs this way!

Seriously! The only driver I've been using lately is the Trak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyoel182
"Seriously! The only driver I've been using lately is the Trak! "

I second this!!! My trak has become my go to driver for the tight wooded NC courses!!!

Interesting... I can't say I've definitely seen the same thing here in the northeast but I've certainly noticed certain retailers having trouble moving some stock. I wonder if this is a function of the random color combo's that produce some truly epic looking discs compared to some of the more bland ones.

I don't think it's unique to Vibram in my area though, I definitely see the same discs of certain types every time I visit a couple of the more local shops. Perhaps Vibram just needs more marketing?

I played in a Vibram birdie event last night. $25 got me two discs and dinner. Steve Dodge came into town promoting. I got to try out a Sole, Ibex, and Ridge. Lost the Ibex, Steve said, "That's ok, here what else do you want to try." Then he gave me the ridge. The winner got to be the Vibram tester for the area, and he won an Obex. He's my buddy so I'm hoping I get to be a tester too ;)

I liked the ridge. Just not more than my rhyno. I am excited about the obex though. Vibram really needed to have something overstable.

Yeah, I agree. After throwing the Ibex quite a bit last night, I found it to be just too flippy when thrown with full power. The Sole was a very nice driving putter, but it won't replace my OmegaSS for regular putting duties.

I've helped spark Vibram fever in the Mitten! I'm anxiously awaiting their distance driver that is to be out this summer/fall via Discgolfer magazine.

I do a lot of tournament sales here in New England where Vibram is obviously very popular. I have been noticing I'm selling nearly no Vibram discs the last month or two. I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is probably because people aren't replacing Vibram discs the way they replace others due to wear. I still get neew-to-Vibram folks buying so the Ibex, Soles, and 150 Traks/Ascents sell regularly but I think all the seasoned players have had the same VP's, Summits, and Ridges in their bags for years now as I have.

I am confident the Obex is going to turn this around because there's a lot of talk about this disc and when it hits the street late next week I'm sure more new-to-Vibram folks will be coming back. From my standpoint, the Obex pre-sales have been very impressive.

Bottom line: Vibram makes highly durable discs which rarely need replacing due to wear.

I wondered if that was the case myself Justin. Sort of a catch 22 for Vibram, make a quality robust product that puts themselves out of business lol (obviously an exaggeration...for now)

They're still very young and there are MANY molds to come I'm sure. Hell, I didn't really turn my head till I saw the Ibex and Sole come out. Before then I started thinking of them as big rubber bricks that fall out of the sky. I'm hopeful the Obex release will reward them financially for developing such a versatile and well performing disc, though I fear it won't be as popular because I believe it caters to skilled players... who are generally set in their ways in terms of plastic by then. Personally, I like to keep an open mind :D

...and bag.

And I'm sure those prototype max distance drivers which are popping up will get them much more exporure too. I got to touch (but not throw) one a few weeks ago. I was told it was about 4 revisions behind where they are now so I won't comment on anything unique about it. I saw one throw and the disc really just lept forwards...and the disc went far enough we never found it in the schule at the edge of the field where the disc was thrown...yes, it went THAT much further than the thrower was expecting it to.

Just adding to what Justin had said, the only reason you really would need to replace a Vibram disc is if you lost it, these things are indestructible.

Justin, if you get anything dark colored in the Obex's PM me, I'll be all over that like a fat kid on cake. I also have my eye on a few others Vibrams you have right now but I am currently having to watch my spending habits as it pertains to disc purchases.

And I'm sure those prototype max distance drivers which are popping up will get them much more exporure too. I got to touch (but not throw) one a few weeks ago. I was told it was about 4 revisions behind where they are now so I won't comment on anything unique about it. I saw one throw and the disc really just lept forwards...and the disc went far enough we never found it in the schule at the edge of the field where the disc was thrown...yes, it went THAT much further than the thrower was expecting it to.

Which field do you speak of??? (get's in car):D

I wondered if that was the case myself Justin. Sort of a catch 22 for Vibram, make a quality robust product that puts themselves out of business lol (obviously an exaggeration...for now)

They're still very young and there are MANY molds to come I'm sure. Hell, I didn't really turn my head till I saw the Ibex and Sole come out. Before then I started thinking of them as big rubber bricks that fall out of the sky. I'm hopeful the Obex release will reward them financially for developing such a versatile and well performing disc, though I fear it won't be as popular because I believe it caters to skilled players... who are generally set in their ways in terms of plastic by then. Personally, I like to keep an open mind :D

...and bag.

images

How about a Vibram DG bag ?
With a modified Vibram shoe style bottom on it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.