• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram let me down...ish.

There's nothing to make sense of. Sharp edge vs disc equals trouble. The OP has nothing to complain about. You can continue to trust in the durability of Vibram's discs.

Vibram doesn't claim their discs are indestructible. They do offer a combination of superior durability and superior grip in the same material. But there is no such thing as an "indestructible" disc, and never will be.

Sucks you got the sharp end of the stick with that one (pun!), but at least you have a good story to tell. Maybe you could come up with some kind of creative experiment to use it for. :)

Maybe you could come up with some kind of creative experiment to use it for. :)

Yes! I've had a couple KC pro Rocs do the same thing and end up with a slice in the plastic. It can be heated and (very carefully) put back together. I wonder if you can fix rubber the same way?

I think the feature that is overlooked about Vibram's "Durability" isn't necessarily the ability to take hits, but the fact that when it does take a bad hit and gets some scrapes/cuts/gouges in the rim, they don't slice your hand open. I've completely rocked my ascent a few times, and the rough spots don't bother me at all.

Yes! I've had a couple KC pro Rocs do the same thing and end up with a slice in the plastic. It can be heated and (very carefully) put back together. I wonder if you can fix rubber the same way?

I could be wrong, but I suspect the rubber has a really high melting point.

I asked the internet about the melting point of vulcanized rubber...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071212170015AAaI5C8 said:
Vulcanized rubber doesn't have a melting point, because it starts to decompose before it starts to melt. By the way, that's one of the reasons why we can't recycle tires effectively.

The disc is going to be illegal for tournament use at this point anyway, but you might could glue the hangnail back down with CA glue (cyano acrylate) and use it for recreational rounds. You can get CA glue at your local hobby shop, but be careful if you use it, or you'll end up super-gluing your fingers or clothes to the next thing they touch after the glue.

I asked the internet about the melting point of vulcanized rubber...

Well dang... there you go. It makes sense when thinking about tires. I remember hearing that you couldn't melt them to recycle, but you can chop them up into really small pieces and mix it in with other plastics and polymers and whatnot but b/c of the belts it's hard to do.

Although, it may only be feasible on a commercial scale.... but tires are made of various rubber "blends" that are somehow bonded together. There's actually a cross-section of a run-flat in one of this month's car magazines. Road & Track, maybe... Automobile... I forget. It's actually pretty interesting, but somehow they bond all those different rubber products together in such a way that they can withstand the weight of a car, running at highway speeds and making all that heat, for like... 50 miles or so.

That'd be the stuff to make an indestructible disc out of. It'd probably cost $50, but one would last you a lifetime or three. That'd be the shizz. Although they'd probably make an indestructible Groove... archaeologists would find them in 500 years and be like "what the ef, they must've worshipped these things."

Man, I just came on to tell a bit of a story about my single, odd experience of poor durability in a disc manufactured by a company that touts its durability as a foundational theme of its marketing. Little did I know the flamers would come out of the woodwork and bust my chops over it.

It was a story I shared and expected nothing else out of it aside of passing along knowledge. Take it or leave it. I expected nothing more.

That said, regardless of any points made prior, I still feel that the material didn't live up to expectations. Understandably that's an opinion of my own, and we all know the saying about opinions; make what you will out of the story and information. Either way, I'm still bumming that I'll twice be replacing the Trak and hopefully the next one can break the cycle and stay in my bag for more than 2 weeks.

Good day, gentlemen. I'm off to the course. Enjoy your interwebs.

Man, I just came on to tell a bit of a story about my single, odd experience of poor durability in a disc manufactured by a company that touts its durability as a foundational theme of its marketing. Little did I know the flamers would come out of the woodwork and bust my chops over it.

It was a story I shared and expected nothing else out of it aside of passing along knowledge. Take it or leave it. I expected nothing more.

That said, regardless of any points made prior, I still feel that the material didn't live up to expectations. Understandably that's an opinion of my own, and we all know the saying about opinions; make what you will out of the story and information. Either way, I'm still bumming that I'll twice be replacing the Trak and hopefully the next one can break the cycle and stay in my bag for more than 2 weeks.

I had a feeling you were gonna post something like this, sorry man not all of us fanboys are bad. Send me that trak I'm gonna fix it for ya.

It could be worse. You could be the guy who started the "WTF - Innova Factory Store" thread today.

My Trak has been a complete tree magnet lately. I've been unleashing some blasts straight into oaks but it's remarkably still okay. Being a medium, I was expecting some taco but not yet.

I had some vibrams. The durability sucked when hitting trees for me. One tree hit with a trak caused a dime sized chunk to come out, and the same thing happened with my vp. Later I tried an ibex, hit a tree and bent the rim down a bit. So I am not a believer in the durability. my gl and opto seem to take the same hits with No visible damage.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but when I hear durability I think changes in flight characteristics and not necessarily cosmetically. Given enough impact anything will look beat up a little, and given the one freak hit you might slice the disc or take a chunk out. That's gonna happen regardless of what kind of disc you throw. I've got a cfr pd that I took with me to the cave and now it looks pretty ragged but it still flies like it should. Yeah I've got some wear on my ascent, laces, and trak but they still fly like they did 4 months ago.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but when I hear durability I think changes in flight characteristics and not necessarily cosmetically. Given enough impact anything will look beat up a little, and given the one freak hit you might slice the disc or take a chunk out. That's gonna happen regardless of what kind of disc you throw. I've got a cfr pd that I took with me to the cave and now it looks pretty ragged but it still flies like it should. Yeah I've got some wear on my ascent, laces, and trak but they still fly like they did 4 months ago.

I would agree with this. My workhorse mid is an ibex that I have beaten the crap out of since I got it a little over a year ago, and while it may not look pretty at all, it flies just slightly less stable than when I got it. It is the perfect laser straight no fade/drift for 350-370' midrange. As it has aged, it has gotten the tendency to warp marginally upon a massive full power tree hit, but it holds its flight characteristics. Luckily, with Vibram the cosmetic warp is easily fixed with 60 seconds in the microwave and then letting it cool on the counter for 5-10 minutes.

In the OP's defense on this one, the Vibram videos generally show cosmetics over flight characteristics in terms of the beatings they can take.