• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Videos of Pros

jenb

* Ace Member *
Here is the top men's card teeing off at hole 1 from the championship tee in the third round of the 21st Veteran's Park Open on October 6th, 2011 in Arlington, Texas. The order is Nikko Locastro, Paul Ulibarri, Nolan Grider, Eric McCabe, and Jeremy Koling.

Here is the top women's card teeing off at hole 1 from the championship tee in the third round of the 21st Veteran's Park Open on October 6th, 2011 in Arlington, Texas. The order is Liz Lopez, Catrina Allen, Shiela Kirkham, and Paige Pierce.

According to google earth, all of the men, Paige, and Catrina all threw about 450 feet into a screaming headwind.

Got to caddy for Big Jerm on Saturday (he seemed like one of the most humble pros, very nice guy by the way). Even though I kind of felt a little dumb caddying for a pro since no one else was I feel like I learned alot. Got to really be up close to what goes on during the course of the round and see what each of the guys were thinking and throwing in certain situations.

Here are some more videos in slow motion. They are driving from hole 8 champ tee. There was a $100 bounty on the longest drive from this tee, and Jeremy Koling won it iirc.

Nikko Locastro

Paul Ulibarri

Eric McCabe

Nolan Grider

Jeremy Koling

Paige Pierce

Catrina Allen

Liz Lopez

Shiela Kirkham

Paige has some pretty solid mechanics but that plant step looks way too long.

I think that's the dirt tee being uneven there, and there's a chunk out out of the earth where people have been pivoting.

I cut it off of the end of Eric's video, but he actually stumbled in it and looked down at it like he needed to wipe dung off his shoe. I don't think he cared much for the dirt tee.

Believe it or not the longer the plant step the more transfer of power goes into the disc. the longer the better.

Here are a couple of more videos of Paige uploaded today. Take a look. Might want to turn the sound down.

Believe it or not the longer the plant step the more transfer of power goes into the disc. the longer the better.

a longer plant step makes it exponentially harder to throw with your weight forward, and can cause reverse pivot and hip jamming. Its not a good idea to have a huge step, and it doesnt add more power in most cases. If it did pros would do the splits for every throw

Yeah, I've messed with the length of my plant and it makes it 1000000x harder to shift your weight around, i notice I don't nearly as much into my throws then and seem to end up strong arming them as opposed to a shorter step.

At the clinic, I know Nikko was all about the slow run up, short steps (o so tiny) with happy :) happy :) feet :), and laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate acceleration. I think you have to see it to understand.

Even with the big step on that weird drive off the dirt, Paige still initiates the shot with her hips, clears them, powers the elbow chop with her body, and doesn't carry a bunch of momentum forward. Being a young athletic woman, it seems likely her hips are substantially more flexible than the average guy and the big step is a luxury she can afford on longer, less controlled drives.

I notice these women seem to have the plane of their drives up around their necks, whereas these men seem to have the plane of their drives around their solarplexus. Is that physiological or just coincidental (none of them seems particularly busty)?

a longer plant step makes it exponentially harder to throw with your weight forward, and can cause reverse pivot and hip jamming. Its not a good idea to have a huge step, and it doesnt add more power in most cases. If it did pros would do the splits for every throw

Just do me a favor and break out a protractor and look at your leg angle when you plant and look at the top pros, you should find that the pros angle should be a much higher number than yours (yous 110 degrees where a pro's angle woul be in the 140 degree range.. FYI you can think what you want but the longer the stride the more power. If you can't make it work that's on you, not the physics of throwing anything.

For instance Cat's angle in the above video is over 135 degrees, but maybe I am simply failing to convey this.