• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Vulcan topped AJ Destroyers?

Someone already asked about this on the pdga board. This is a poor copy/paste job the bottom part is daves answer. With that answer, to me it seems like he knows that something happened but doesn't want to fully admit it.

Originally Posted by cbdiscpimp View Post
I just came across some very interesting discs this past weekend. They were marked Star DS on the bottom but it was clearly a Destroyer bottom with a Vulcan top. Is this a mistake or was this done on purpose? And if on purpose what was expected to be the flight result with the Vulcan top? Its looks and feels great in the Echo plastic was just wondering what the deal was with this disc. Thanks

Nothing on purpose.

I've been throwing these for a month or so now. The flight plate on mine (I have 3) is very rubbery/soft feeling.

They're great for my power level (300'-325' with a Buzzz, 375' with Destroyer.) They feel great in the hand, and fly slightly less stable than most Destroyers I've thrown.
The only issue I have with them is that they seem to have less glide than domey Destroyers. But they're quicker to beat into the sweet spot for my armspeed.

Someone already asked about this on the pdga board. This is a poor copy/paste job the bottom part is daves answer. With that answer, to me it seems like he knows that something happened but doesn't want to fully admit it.

Originally Posted by cbdiscpimp View Post
I just came across some very interesting discs this past weekend. They were marked Star DS on the bottom but it was clearly a Destroyer bottom with a Vulcan top. Is this a mistake or was this done on purpose? And if on purpose what was expected to be the flight result with the Vulcan top? Its looks and feels great in the Echo plastic was just wondering what the deal was with this disc. Thanks

Nothing on purpose.

Like I said, good luck getting any straight info out of them.
Think about it tho...it doesn't make sense for them to admit a mold deviates from the approved version

Anyone else thrown one of these hybrid destroyers? I saw three of them in minty Echo star plastic today and really wanted to pick one up but can't justify to my lady friend the need for 9 destroyers. I'm really interested to hear how they fly for someone throwing other destroyers 450+.

I saw them this weekend and compared them side by side with my 2 year old AJ Destroyer. I'm not convinced - my older one has the Bevel in the top too although less pronounced. It just looks like they cooled differently but I usually go by what EL-KABONG says.

I actually got some bottom stamp destroyers that had this vulcan looking top. did the comparison as well - really pronounced rim on the new ones...I'm thinking about buying into this conspiracy theory

i have a star Boss with a weird top flight plate. Kind of Vulcanesque. I'd guess drying issue

How about 8 Destroyers and a Destrulcan?

I may have doomed myself by telling her about them and that I wanted to get one. I'm pretty lucky though. She is willing to go golfing with me from time to time even though I don't think she likes it much. But she's competitive so if I talk enough crap she says she's gonna kick my a$$ and we go out.

Maybe I missed it but are you guys finding these in all weights or just lighter weights?

I saw these today, and they do look like a vulcan top for sure. I also saw them in weights ranging from 168-175 in echo star plastic. I was interested in them but bought a champ archon to try out instead.

Of the three I saw, 167, 169, and the other had the price sticker over the middle. It didn't feel heavy though.

WOW I threw a new Echo-Star one today that I took off the shelf at my store because I thought it looked weird. First thing I though was 'this looks like a Vulcan-top' and it turns over easier than a normal Destroyer but still fades hard. Weird....It's a sick disc but I NEEDS a real Destroyer, and this disc wouldn't even be approved.

Hadda see what all the hub-bub was about. Oddly, even my newish star Destroyers were all the orig. 'smooth domes' so I found a Destrulcan to try out.

I bought one of these the other day at Sports Authority. Star AJ 170g. Kind of a medium blue but bordering on purple as well. The easiest way to see the diff is the nose itself. The mutants are dead flat from the nose up to the flight plate. The originals round off a bit at the nose before heading up to the flight plate.

I don't like these new ones and I'm kinda pissed that I got a bunch in my most recent Innova order.

Theroy

Any chance Innova made some PD2's formed in star plastic for Avery Jenkins, beings that he does permote this PD2 disc.( X-cal bottom with anheyser top ). And that some of these disc made it to the shelf for sale as AJ destroyers?

Last edited:
No chance. The anhyzer top is very distinctive and are rounded right at the edge of the top. The type of destroyers we're talking about have no rounded edge right at the edge of the disc and are super straight/flat rather than rounded.