• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Water Bottles? What do you use?

camelbacks are pretty solid water bottles. If I use my nalgene it just goes all over the place. Thinking about getting an insulated water bottle because with the heat in AZ during the summer ice water turns to jacuzzi water within the hour:mad:

I have a Camelbak that has the insulation layer inside. I can mow for two hours in the South Louisiana sun and still have cold Powerade. Got it at Dick's Sporting Goods, for $14 I think.

If you use ice... I normally don't... you might like the CamelBak Insulated Stainless-Steel Better Bottle. It's double walled so it's supposed to keep your drink cold longer. They are just expensive like the sigg bottles. I'd probably only put water in them though.

with the bike water bottle I end up suckin on the thing like a little baby just to get one gulp.

I just squeeze the water out of them, I don't normally put my mouth on it except to open it with my teeth.

I use the Camelbak Better Bottle and wanted an insulated one. I saw the aluminum ones. Make sure if you get one you get the smaller capacity one (.5L), I bought the .75L size and it's not insulated. They're the same size outside but the double wall makes the capacity less in the insulated one. I made the mistake of getting the larger bottle. Let me tell you aluminum sweats a lot more than plastic.

Gotta go with the old school 32 oz. Nalgene from like 4 years ago wide mouth lid, and nice loop. It fits very well in my bag, and the BPA hasn't killed me yet...

FYI! about bottled water.

FYI...

On the bottom, in most cases, of most plastic containers is the recycle symbol. Inside that symbol is a number from 1 to 7. That number is the grade/quality level of the plastic. One is the poorest grade up to seven which is the highest grade.

During EPA and other industry studies of these plastics it was found that when these plastics are exposed to high temperatures and/or direct sunlight and/or storage of longer than 60 days it causes the plastic to breakdown. This breaking down produces a chemical called phenol. Associated with phenol are several health issues including cancer.

It was the recommendation of the study that long term storage of water in the lower grades of plastic be discouraged. That any bottle that is repeatedly used be of the higher grades.

So leaving store bought water in vehicles on hot days, storing it outside on a patio, long term storage because you could not pass up that good deal and you bought 20 cases is not a good idea. I have seen gas stations put cases of it outside near the gas pumps, in direct sunlight and heat, to promote water sales. This occurs at many other stores during big promotions.

My advise... spend the money to buy a high grade reusable plastic bottle. Some of these do not leech the phenol at all. At least a 5 or higher.

No I am not a crackpot. For most of the last 9 years I have worked in the water treatment industry and thought I would pass this along to you all.

FYI...

On the bottom, in most cases, of most plastic containers is the recycle symbol. Inside that symbol is a number from 1 to 7. That number is the grade/quality level of the plastic. One is the poorest grade up to seven which is the highest grade.

During EPA and other industry studies of these plastics it was found that when these plastics are exposed to high temperatures and/or direct sunlight and/or storage of longer than 60 days it causes the plastic to breakdown. This breaking down produces a chemical called phenol. Associated with phenol are several health issues including cancer.

It was the recommendation of the study that long term storage of water in the lower grades of plastic be discouraged. That any bottle that is repeatedly used be of the higher grades.

So leaving store bought water in vehicles on hot days, storing it outside on a patio, long term storage because you could not pass up that good deal and you bought 20 cases is not a good idea. I have seen gas stations put cases of it outside near the gas pumps, in direct sunlight and heat, to promote water sales. This occurs at many other stores during big promotions.

My advise... spend the money to buy a high grade reusable plastic bottle. Some of these do not leech the phenol at all. At least a 5 or higher.

No I am not a crackpot. For most of the last 9 years I have worked in the water treatment industry and thought I would pass this along to you all.

Thanks for the info! You also save a lot of money by using a refillable bottle and filling it from the tap or from a filter rather than buying bottles of water (and the bottled water doesn't have to pass the same quality standards as your tap water does).

Thanks for the info! You also save a lot of money by using a refillable bottle and filling it from the tap or from a filter rather than buying bottles of water (and the bottled water doesn't have to pass the same quality standards as your tap water does).

That is correct. The bottled water industry is not regulated and does not have to do any more than pass a monthly bacteria test to stay in business. They do have a voluntary organization they can join and those members follow strict guidelines.

That is correct. The bottled water industry is not regulated and does not have to do any more than pass a monthly bacteria test to stay in business. They do have a voluntary organization they can join and those members follow strict guidelines.

I reuse my plastic bottles and only buy new ones when I'm caught out and am thirsty because I hate to think about those bottles all going to a landfill after one usage. I just checked one I've been using for a few months, and it's a 1. It's definitely time to clean house and just invest in a few decent bottles.

I met someone a few years back who told me that bottled water was really bad (he also worked for the water treatment plant) but didn't get a chance to hear the explanation why. Thank you.

I also go with the CB better bottle. I was always a Nalgene man, way back before it was fashionable even... but I love the flippy nipple top!

Or sometimes I'll make a stop for this...

I use the "Klean Kanteen." Its a 40 oz. stainless bottle that i found on amazon.com. I love it! It fits perfectly in my innova bag even though i thought it was going to be too big. It cost 17$ and comes in different sizes and colors.

I used a Klean Kanteen 27 oz. stainless steel bottle for quite some time before I left it somewhere on a big course that I was playing for the 1st time... funny thing is when I went to look for it (unsuccessfully) I actually found a 20oz Sigg bottle that someone else had left... been using it ever since.

Also, I've recently been filling old Powerade bottles w/ tap water & putting them in the freezer... best way I've found to have super cold H2O throughout the whole round w/out having to carry around a cooler. :)

There are seven classes of plastics used in packaging applications. Type 7 is the catch-all "other" class, and some type 7 plastics, such as polycarbonate (sometimes identified with the letters "PC" near the recycling symbol) and epoxy resins, are made from bisphenol A monomer.[4] [12].

Type 3 (PVC) can also contain bisphenol A as antioxidant in plasticizers.[4]

Types 1 (PET), 2 (HDPE), 4 (LDPE), 5 (polypropylene), and 6 (polystyrene) do not use bisphenol A during polymerization or package forming.

Type 7 does not mean that it DOES have BPA but it may. Nalgene's plastic is now confirmed not to have BPA even though it is a type 7. There are many type 7's that do though. Higher number doesn't always equal better.

There are seven classes of plastics used in packaging applications. Type 7 is the catch-all "other" class, and some type 7 plastics, such as polycarbonate (sometimes identified with the letters "PC" near the recycling symbol) and epoxy resins, are made from bisphenol A monomer.[4] [12].

Type 3 (PVC) can also contain bisphenol A as antioxidant in plasticizers.[4]

Types 1 (PET), 2 (HDPE), 4 (LDPE), 5 (polypropylene), and 6 (polystyrene) do not use bisphenol A during polymerization or package forming.

Type 7 does not mean that it DOES have BPA but it may. Nalgene's plastic is now confirmed not to have BPA even though it is a type 7. There are many type 7's that do though. Higher number doesn't always equal better.

I did not say 7 always has BPA. I tried to keep the post simple and use The EPA study to lend validity to it. Talking LDPE versus polystyrene or whatever was not the point anyway. The point was to let everyone know that improper storage and repeated use had been shown to be a problem and to let them know to be vigilant. That is all.

That is also why I specifically did not talk about brands. That would be unfair to the manufacturers and to breakdown every brand would be a book.

One of the companies in this thread has already been through hell because of stupidity. That does not need to happen again.

BPA or Not I am a Nalgene whore! I have all 32oz sized bottles. Some of the bottles are narrow mouth and the rest in wide mouths. I use the wide mouths most I just put in Ice and the Splash guard (the insert mentioned before) and that keeps me going. The wide mouths fit in my crunch box holder great but the narrow tops are a bit wider making it a tighter then desirable fit. I to am in the water treatment industry and and have found that most of the bottled water out there (cheap) is usually Reverse Osmosis processed. I have installed an RO under the counter unit in my house and load up a few Nalgenes a day then I am off and running. I like the wide mouths because of the lids with the loop tops. I have a crunch box so I am missing the extra drink cozie of the tourney bag so if it is a really warm day I will use a spring clip to attach a second bottle to my bag. when the lid finally wears out and the loop breaks I run over to REI and replace it with a new lid. This has been working great I was first introduced to the bottle while playing football in college. We dropped 45lb plates on the bottle and it bounced the plate off. Pretty damn durable bottle. Cover it in some stickers and bam you got a winner.

Last edited:

Latest posts