• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Water Works, KC Tips :)

attik34

Birdie Member
Getting ready to go to KC to play with a friend @ the waterworks course. He plays there a bit and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me heading into it so I wouldnt be at as big of a disadvantage (I'm small amounts of hyper competitive). Just curious if there were any small quirks about the course i should know, anything I should prepare myself for specifically :).

Make sure you land the disc on plane with the ground. Waterworks has a world famous roll away factor called 'getting waterworked.' Nearly every basket is on some sort of slope, and a lot of the shots go against the slope, so disc angle is quite important.

The course is beautiful, so just take it in. It's one of the best "short" par 54 courses you'll ever play. Every shot is different. It's quite hilly, so take some water. One a couple of holes are flat; you mainly are either shooting uphill or downhill. None of the flat holes are without obstacles.

Make sure you land the disc on plane with the ground. Waterworks has a world famous roll away factor called 'getting waterworked.' Nearly every basket is on some sort of slope, and a lot of the shots go against the slope, so disc angle is quite important.

noted...ill pay attention to that especially

Timko pretty much said it all...also, stay in the fairway...on a couple of holes, there is a big drop-off to the side that sucks to climb down and has some rough foliage, so stay out of there.

I was just there Saturday and again on Monday. It's really dry. Bring plenty of water. It can't be said enough to watch your disc angle to avoid roll aways. If it starts rolling you will be in trouble.

I would agree with what everyone said. I played there for the first time on my way to Illinois a few weeks ago. It is a crazy fun course with a great shot variety that does punish harshly if you're off the fairway or rolling. It is probably just about the most fun course I have ever played in my limited spectrum of courses played.

Timko pretty much said it all...also, stay in the fairway...on a couple of holes, there is a big drop-off to the side that sucks to climb down and has some rough foliage, so stay out of there.

I agree with Tony on this. I spent a lot of time climbing through the mess.

The walk downhill was not too bad, but going back up was a pain in the a** after I found my errant drive.

Play it safe on those holes...throw a putter or mid and stay on the fairways.

Yep, I agree w/ timko. The course is a lot of fun and quite hilly, especially for a place like KC. It is a "short par 54" though, so there's really no need for ultra mega long distance drivers out there. It's been a few weeks since I was there, but as I remember there's only about 3 holes that are 350 - 400'. You don't have to pack out a full tournament bag for the shots you'll need to play well here. Play fairway drivers off of the tee and keep them in the fairway to score well.

buttdart:
"i'll be heading to KC labor day weekend and plan to play waterworks, swope, and rosedale."

Waterworks is a fun shortish type course, so I wouldn't miss it if you're in town. I would suggest that with all the great courses that we have in the area that you might think about picking either Swope or Rosedale (I'd go with Swope personally). They're both similar lengths, but I think Swope offers more challenging shots and variety, better scenery and is usually less crowded.

You might consider playing Blue Valley for a real challenge. It's really a world class course with world class difficulty and is sadly usually deserted, save for a few people using the shelters. The course is never crowded. The 3 new courses up in Smithville are a lot of fun as well, playing around the lake, but they might be crowded that weekend. Wyandotte is another really, really great course that often gets overlooked. I really think it's one of the best around, and in a great park but nobody seems to mention it. It's a little bit of drive from where I live up north, but it's much newer, better maintained and more fun than Rosedale (up top), IMO.

Waterworks is a fun shortish type course, so I wouldn't miss it if you're in town. I would suggest that with all the great courses that we have in the area that you might think about picking either Swope or Rosedale (I'd go with Swope personally). They're both similar lengths, but I think Swope offers more challenging shots and variety, better scenery and is usually less crowded.

You might consider playing Blue Valley for a real challenge. It's really a world class course with world class difficulty and is sadly usually deserted, save for a few people using the shelters. The course is never crowded. The 3 new courses up in Smithville are a lot of fun as well, playing around the lake, but they might be crowded that weekend. Wyandotte is another really, really great course that often gets overlooked. I really think it's one of the best around, and in a great park but nobody seems to mention it. It's a little bit of drive from where I live up north, but it's much newer, better maintained and more fun than Rosedale (up top), IMO.

thanks for the tips. i moved to FL from KC 4 years ago. i spent 4 years in south JoCo and played disc golf for a couple years while there. i used to play swope a lot and also a course out southwest of olathe - forgot name. now that i started playing again down here (10 feet above sea level) i'm excited to get back to where i learned the game and play with some hills! is discgolf world worth a stop?

i was thinking rosedale only because i want to eat some oklahoma joes!

Play Rosedale Down Under if conditions allow it. Absolutely my favorite course. Short, technical, in the woods, with fun elevation changes. And yes eat some OK Joes!

thanks for the tips. i moved to FL from KC 4 years ago. i spent 4 years in south JoCo and played disc golf for a couple years while there. i used to play swope a lot and also a course out southwest of olathe - forgot name. now that i started playing again down here (10 feet above sea level) i'm excited to get back to where i learned the game and play with some hills! is discgolf world worth a stop?

DG World is definitely worth a stop, that place has eaten about $500 from me in the last year. All the guys that work there are awesome and one of them is the guy that designed the Smithville courses. And also if you go to Oklahoma Joes there is a dynamic discs in the same parking lot. I also have to second the option for wyandotte, out of the way, but well worth the drive.

On hole 6 dont go right. On 13 the roll will take you ob be careful. Make sure you play rosedale down under, also jesse james dgc is only like 20-25 mins north of waterworks, I highly recommend this one as well. Kessler park/cliff drive has one of the best front nines in kc the back 9 is ridiculous

........and also a course out southwest of olathe - forgot name. now that i started playing again down here (10 feet above sea level) i'm excited to get back to where i learned the game and play with some hills! is discgolf world worth a stop?

I think the Olathe course you are talking about is Prairie Center. I haven't been down there yet, but it is on my list of local courses to get to. Don't play Rosedale on Sundays if you want Oklahoma Joe's afterwards, because it is closed on Sundays. Finally, Disc Golf World is worth the drive downtown. It is in the old Crossroads district. They are great folks there, have a good frequent flyer program and you can head over to Grinders for some great food while you are down there.

The course is beautiful, so just take it in. It's one of the best "short" par 54 courses you'll ever play. Every shot is different. It's quite hilly, so take some water. One a couple of holes are flat; you mainly are either shooting uphill or downhill. None of the flat holes are without obstacles.

^this
And it is hard to judge distances there.

Latest posts