• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Weight/profile/size for Putters, push/spin

SpiderWaffle

Bogey Member
So I'm looking to get a new putter for push putts, mostly for under 25ft or so. I know I want very rigid but couldn't find any information on weight or profile.

I was wondering what weight people tend to like on the their putters for which styles and putts and why? There's the obvious heavier discs being less effected by wind and can push through air resistance better which generally makes sense and would favor heavy, but then they also require more force for same velocity, which is relevant for push putts I would think.

There seems be a VERY strong consensus for ridged on push putting for better energy transfer and consist 'hit' while spin putting is mostly by what you feel comfortable with and have control with.

And a high profile makes sense for spin putts and getting more stability and control with the spin, but not quite the same for push putts that are desperate for velocity, have very little spin, and thus can be easily pushed around by catching air on just the profile even when thrown well.

Also I read discs can be 40cm in diameter, god that's huge, have you ever heard someone preferring a larger putter, maybe on no wind putts and to ensure they bang chains or something, lol idk.

I'm thinking for push putts 21cm and bit lighter might be a bit better to get velocity with just your fingers and shoulder push, but maybe a bit heavier for push putts with bothersome wind. I've actually found I prefer my midrage buzz to my soft putter on push putts.

It's still all about feel and personal preference, especially at that range.

Consistency is key. Use the same putter for all your push putts so you are familiar with it's weight and feel.

I use 175g. Push putts are tricky in the wind so I don't want to go any lighter. A little less weight doesn't really add any significant distance and at the ranges you were talking about, distance shouldn't be a factor.

I use a Judge for my putts; I like the feel of it. I use the same ones for long range putts that I throw or spin and shorter (<40ft) putts that I push putt.

If you putt better with a Buzzz than go for it. Just try some different ones and find what works. There's no definitive answer that I've found.

Good luck.

Hi and welome. The Ultimate disc Discraft Ultra-Star is not the ultimate for sticking in the basket. It is so large that it does not fit easily into the basket. Lighter discs are easier to get up to speed and they float higher for longer. Even spin putts get the benefit from going to even mid 160s. Innova Nova works for both and so do some others. The Nova is soft and tacky and does not like a stuffed bag. It bends even without summer temps. MVP Ion and Anode are nice too. Wind intolerant Discraft Rattler is the tallest normally seen putter meaning it is still rare. Grip ridges can be found on Innova Sonic that is super flippy way worse than the Rattler. The world is filled with putters and i would shy away from hard fading oned.

Disc manufacturers do have images of their discs on their web sites.

First, I now assume the word you mean is rigid not ridged? At first I thought you meant beaded. I agree with JR weight mostly affects the floatiness. There are so many putters out there now, it's hard to know where to start with recommendations. Is there a store you can go feel a bunch and see what plastic you like and what feels most comfortable in your hand?

For the record, I push/straddle putt with soft Wizards. Despite the name, they are pretty firm but tacky. They have a hard fade when new but lose the fade over time, so I bag two, one beat to cover straight putts versus a newer one for putting around an obstacle.

Thanks for replies! yes I meant rigid, though a ridged rim would be interesting, to grip chains maybe, not sure if that's legal, never heard of that, I think the rules require a uniform outer diameter. Grip ridges on the contact surface for your fingers like on the nova JR pointed out seems potentially good for short push putts, I mean the finger push and grip is really important, and they're not really even flying/floating, but the nova seems like kind of crappy disc in general :(

So it sounds like 165g is the lightest you'd ever really want for a push putt, or any putt inside of 30ft, but most like 175g 21cm disc unless it's a longer putt or no wind concerns. Dissc that make the most sense are the Wizard S-series, though I read somewhere they have 2 other types, not SS or SSS that are really hard as well but different feel. KC Aviar or the new McPro Aviar, same thing but no bead, generally the most used putters by pros and a mold that's been tired and true since 1988, heard from a local pro it was actually called something else back then, before KC even. or Pro D challenger/magnet. Pretty much the top stiff plastic putters that are neutral.

I think the McPro might be the best way to go, just not sure if I'll like the feel of the shape without the bead, have to find someone that's carrying it as it's only available from the special warehouse site as of now.

I guess the only significant downside to these stiff plastics, besides subjective personal grip feel, is that they just simply have poor chain gripping ability and can slide off the sides more easily, but is not supposed to be too much of factor at slow speeds. To me this just begs the question though, with discs like the anode/ion and nova why not make the same stiff discs preferred for putts (Aviar, Wizard, Challenger), but with a sticker plastic/rubber just on the VERY outer rim, wouldn't need to be more than a few mm think and your hand has very minimal important contact with that part of the disc on putts, it's just pressed against the palm then comes away with very little shear. That shouldn't effect your feel much but would add significant chain grip.

SpiderWaffle said:
To me this just begs the question though, with discs like the anode/ion and nova why not make the same stiff discs preferred for putts (Aviar, Wizard, Challenger), but with a sticker plastic/rubber just on the VERY outer rim, wouldn't need to be more than a few mm think and your hand has very minimal important contact with that part of the disc on putts, it's just pressed against the palm then comes away with very little shear. That shouldn't effect your feel much but would add significant chain grip.

This was the idea behind the Nova. The write up on Innova's website describes the Nova as an Aviar with an overmold...
http://www.innovadiscs.com/home/602-nova-pdga-approved.html

I've never touched one, but per JR's description, sounds like they aren't coming out as stiff as Innova intended.

I don't know if the Novas are manufactured in stiffer center plastics as well. I skimmed some text that claimed a new name for the soft plastic that my Nova center is made of. And IIRC the Atlas is made with both the floppy plastic and stiffer durable Star center.

The problem with the nova as a putter is that it's a little larger diameter. Is the rubber really soft and sticky like SSS or RFF? I was thinking something with just about 3mm of rubber, but rubber like the stuff on hair/lent rollers that washes off, or the those toy sticky hands :p

XT Nova formerly known as Pro Nova has a sticky material on the rim and it gets suspended by the chain well. Besides the diameter means more metal contact and better brakes.

It is hard for me to imagine that the type of putter matters much no matter what form is being used. If it feels good should be the essential criteria. I have seen very gifted players putting with discs which are beat up to snot or obscure molds.

XT nova does sound interesting I suppose if the outer plastic is as sticky as you say, are any pros using it for long putts though? I know Mcbeth relies on it heavily for soft-landing layups and short approaches, but never seen him try and make a long putt, always uses his signature disc.

Dunno about the pros but the XT Nova excels at long putts. Only Rattlers and APXs can rival the Nova in needing as little aiming compensation height and sideways wise but they cannot handle nearly as much wind. I have not tried a Dagger so i cannot say if the Nova is the best laser putter at the moment. I have heard of the Dagger fading and it is made per wishes of a push putter so it is likely to be good for that and not as good at long range lasers.

Barry Schultz was putting with a Nova earlier in the year. I haven't seen video of him recently so not sure if he still has it in the bag.

Latest posts