• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

WELL My very first

Ryen

Bogey Member
PDGA event is coming up....Im probably going to bomb it but I have confidence.....I entered in the intermediate the one above Rec....Im not worried about pressure cause I played semi pro ball and Im just a clutch guy....I know I will perform better if Im in the running but I might just be totally out of it which is the only thing that worries me but the tips have been great and in one day I have gone from nose up with extreme hyzer to my wraith anhyzering to much and learned the smaller the step the less elevation the shot the bigger the plant step the more elevation But I am really powering my left leg to the front...anyways any last tips would be helpful. I really need to know where im at compared to other people so I hope to find out. it is THE ROCKWALL OPEN... and everybody in that clasee is in the mid 8 to 910 max I think so I cant be that much worse I would hope but then again I dont know I hope the clutch in me comes out in hole one..

Have a relaxed mind and body and forget about the poor shots immediately. They'll show up in your scorecard anyway there's no point in fretting and making your next shot worse than you are capable of throwing. Wipe your discs as soon as possible because you never know when you have the honors and then you are limited by the 30 second rule. Also drying up discs before putting them to the bag helps in keeping the whole setup dry and grippy. Don'ttry to be too heroic just stay inbounds even if it means limiting distance off the tee. You are in between forms so you have little information about your current limits. It ain't nice when that sneaks up on you when you try to push too far. Most of the time two shots will get you to a better place than OB off the tee.

Some one once told me the most important shots in a tourney are the ones you make right after the ones you screwed up. Once you get to the shot spot being angery about how you got there and concentrate on how you are going to play that shot. good luck.

Thank YOU guys I will post an update on how it went it is on Sat it a one day 2 rounder so I have my sights set on top 5 with 17 entering so far in the INT.....I am very VERY competetive so if I do Blow this tourny It will just make me so much more ambitious and practice I will go from 100 disc a day to 200 in an instant

well I stunk it up I shot a 94 first round but did better with an 89 on the second made alot of 20 foot putts on the second round as well....man I tell you what though I hit Every tree in the world

were you drunk? shooting in the high 600s is really bad, bad golf. at least you didn't quit and finish in last. hit the technique section up and hide the high speed drivers.

Ryen91 said:
well I stunk it up I shot a 94 first round but did better with an 89 on the second made alot of 20 foot putts on the second round as well....man I tell you what though I hit Every tree in the world
First tournaments can be rough. Where do you think you lost the most strokes - drives, approaches, putting - and what is your plan to save those strokes in your next tournament?

There is a great temptation to try to do too much in a tournament - throw harder, hit an impossible gap, make a heroic shot with a driver rather than staying on the fairway - and this gets you away from your game. Jsun's suggestion of working slower discs is a good one.

Good luck!

All great points because now you can start analyzing what to change for improved results in the next event. Congratulations on having the first one under the belt and now for new conquests with hopefully better results. A five throw improvement is good so lets hope with the data yo have now you can shave off the next 5 in the first round the next time.

my wife played in her first real (she has played in a couple low key fundraisers) tourney yesterday after the first round she put her faster drivers away and used a shark and cyclone for most of her drives in the second round and she shaved 6 strokes in the second round.

once I slowed down my driving throw I was fairly more accurate I didnt use my glove so alot of drives slipped way out way to early from me.... but During the break I changed my putting technique and my putts came in alot better I saved the 5 strokes in putting....so now I really need to work on my fairway game and also on my drives that is where I can save the most strokes

jsun3thousand said:
were you drunk? shooting in the high 600s is really bad, bad golf. at least you didn't quit and finish in last. hit the technique section up and hide the high speed drivers.

I did finish in last

If were you I would hide my Tee Rex for a while. I'm a noob as well... and ditching my high speed drivers(for now) is probably the one thing that has evolved my game more than anything. After a week or two of putter-only and Roc-only rounds I can hit fairways and shape lines through trees that I really had no prayer doing two weeks ago. Throwing consistent par or under now, strongly recommend this! :thumbup:

I might try that but I threw some really good shots with my Rex is the weird part..... oh my only mid range is a wolf But I also have a cheetah but i am going to lay off the high speed drivers

you beat all the people that quit and the lady in women's intermediate. ditch the wolf and get a proper midrange disc. there's lots of opinion on what midrange is the best, it won't be hard to find. why do you use a glove?

Why wouldn't you use a glove?
power_glove.jpg

I recommend the Super Stingray. It is an extremely forgiving disc. When I was having oat issues, the Super Stingray was the only mid-range I could throw without turning over and not coming back. Even a brand new Star Roc was turning over.

I was lucky enough to find a CFR Star Super Stingray on Ebay with a flat top. Incredible disc.

The Champ Panther is another easy to throw mid-range. It is understable but will hold any line. I have a couple never-thrown spares if you are interested in one (PM me).

well that sounds good I use a glove for grip and to had snap it seems legal I didnt use it at all that day when i practice with it it creates a consistent release for me it is a wider reciever glove so it sticks

People recommend against the Wolf enough on this board that i've never bothered to try one. Roc, Buzzz, Spider and Coyote are fine among many other perfectly good mids.

the wolf is a great driver for kids and people with slower arm speed to start with but it is very flippy and doesn't grow well with a player. the gateway scout and dga squalls are my favorite mids.