• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Westside Longbowman

Now the question is going to be, will these best in like an eagle...if they do, then my mind will definitely be changed about these. But, until someone breaks in a tp and reviews, looks like I'll be throwing the felon/beat bio felon/saint pro combo.

So, it's finally warming up a bit over here and for the first time I got to throw the Longbowman from a dry surface. I had one 171g VIP, one 169g TP and a 169g Opto Culverin with me.

First of all, the Culverin went ~330' and there was no turn and only a slight fade at the end. I would agree with the general consesus of this being the Thunderbird wanna be.

The VIP Longbowman went maybe 300', while ending with a strong hooking fade. Definitely not Felon OS, but still much more beef than the St Pro. Quite unique disc in the Trilogy lineup really.

Finally the TP Longbowman went past 300' and got just the slightest bit of turn on the way before a moderate fade. A really lovely and tight S-line that will be workable even on wooded holes. Haven't thrown Eagles, but based on what I've heard I do see the similarities.

All of the three were brand new, so my expectations for them on the long run are big. Especially the TP bowman should become a very controllable fairway driver that still goes a long way. I really like the thinner rim, that gives me a bunch of control. At the end, I would still hold on to my opinion that it is the closest thing to a 2nd run FD that any Trilogy discs has ever been, maybe a touch faster. I like it. :clap:
The biggest thing for me, was the rim size.
I was disappointed to find the Culverin was advertised as speed 9 but felt more like an 11 speed.
However as a Saint/Saint Pro thrower, I am loving the Longbowman because it's rim size falls right in line the them.

Got my VIPs today, TPs coming next week. Love the smaller rim and the predictability of the flight. I was limited to about 350ft of astroturf, at that distance it went nice and straight with predictable healthy fade.

Threw a round with my 173 VIP . Was very overstable for my arm (330-360ft max). It faded earlier than my XXX on a few shots. But for me its very hard to keep straight and i can get it to about 280. throws like my old trident. Definitely reliable fade.

I got a VIP longbowman at 172 as a players pack. Here's is what I thought about it.
Mores speed 7 or 8 than 9. Flew closer to my champ banshee or a new champ teebird than my star thunderbird. Slower than the thunderbird.

I would rate 8 4 0 2 if I was gonna rate it.
FYI i don't throw all that far maybe 300
Really flat and really comfy.

I gate it away to my buddy who has low armspeed to be his firebird/utility disc.

Really nice disc. I would be interested to see if it straitens out with wear the way my teebird has.

I think this one is gonna be really popular. I could totals build a bag around it as my main fairway.

I'm confused now. Some say it's a westside felon and others say its along those 8/4/0/2 lines.

Edit: I throw felons 350', so if anyone is along those lines with experience of both, let me know. Between felons and saint pros, I don't have a very big gap in between if at all. The reason I love the saint pros is they cover stable/slightly OS to US duties, so I can bag 4 of them to cover just about anything.

Last edited:
It does fly along 8/4/0/2 numbers out of the box, maybe 8/4/-.5/2.5. But the feel of the flat top and fat lip remind me of how a spark feels in the hand... I guess it will depend on how it feels in your hand, but it's a helluva fairway, imo. (coming from a predominately innova thrower)

Last night i had one of the big arms throw my Longbowman and Saint Pro back to back so I could see how they acted with some power on them.
Saint Pro had a lot of turn before fighting back, and the Longbowman barley had any high speed wiggle at all.
it was just straight, long flight with some fade.
He is a big innova guy, and was surprised to see that it (Longbowman) landed right next to his destroyer.

Now that I have some throws on it, heres what my noodle arm says about the 2 on a calm day.
Saint pro goes straight, with a big gliding fade.
Longbowman goes straight (not quite as far) with a hard, shorter dumping fade, with some skip.

I have spent some time playing in the wind (both heavy and super heavy winds) and the Longbowman didn't care, when the saint pro would move around a lot (but usually fight back)

I am really digging the Longbowman because it's fitting perfectly in between my saint pros and my xxx

A Westside Banshee? Now I'm interested.

I have only thrown mine a couple times, but if you imagine a Banshee crossed with a Thunderbird you are have a pretty good idea. That same dumpy fade and controllable glide you get with a Banshee but a little faster and a little less stable. It is what I always wanted the H2 to be but wasn't.

Sounds like it is shorter and more os than the saint pro. Despite the saint pro having a fade number of 4. Ugh.. once again another reminder of how inaccurate the flight chart can be.

I have a TP Longbowman on the way and will report back. If it holds true to other Westside molds, it will have slightly less all around stability with a little bit more glide.

I dont tend to beat drivers in quickly so I might send this into a wall a couple times to let you all know how it wears.

Sounds like it is shorter and more os than the saint pro. Despite the saint pro having a fade number of 4. Ugh.. once again another reminder of how inaccurate the flight chart can be.
You can't compare one companies flight #s to another companies flight #s.
Apples and oranges.
Westside and Lat64 are not the same company.

Also fade is not the only factor in rating OS.
Glide (or the lack there of) is at least as accurate judge of how well it will fight to the ground

Picked up a TP Bowman locally on Saturday. Wow... Not even the same disc. The thing has turn like a... TERN! We're talkin' 8/5/-2/2 if the fade is a 2. It does glide more, but my first throw ended up about 60' right of the basket on a 280' hole. Not exactly what I was expecting! Should be more workable for most people. Reminds me of when the Elasto Sampos came out for last year's Trilogy Challenge and most people hated them for being so overstable. Personally, I freaking LOVE them and now get my hands on as many as I can. But then VIP Sampos came out and they were flatter and had much more turn. People liked the VIPs for the lack of a strong fade. I'm guessing this is how VIP vs TP Bowman will be. TP has more glide and is more workable for different shapes, but VIP is a strong, teeth-bearing workhorse.

I've got to update my VIP review after throwing it for a week or so...

Not quite firebird/felon OS... I think that was the initial new-ness... it will turn every so slightly on a hard throw, and while it will fight out of an anny flex, it takes a while and often will simply finish flat, instead of turning back. I think the Teebird/Eagle comparisons are probably not far off.

I have another VIP and a TP coming today in the mail. I anticipate the TP beating into a really nice stable fairway driver with a solid, but not crazy hard finish and a little wiggle with a dependable come-back. At least, I hope so!!

Picked up a TP Bowman locally on Saturday. Wow... Not even the same disc. The thing has turn like a... TERN! We're talkin' 8/5/-2/2 if the fade is a 2.
You must've gotten a freak. There is no way even a TP Bowman will flip on you on a 280' hole unless you OAT the living crrp out of it. :gross:

Like I said earlier, I threw a 169g TP past 300' on a line drive with just a hint of turn and a very solid fade at the end.

Giant is OS by definition...I always thought the flight was similar to a Star Destroyer. Elastos and, oddly, VIP Airs (the flat ones anyway) lean more to the truly OS side but they certainly arent meathooks.

Along that line: if the Longbowman has a similar stability with the control driver speed/distance, I think it'll be perfect. I preordered two at drastically different weights to see if they can compete with my PDs.

Two questions:
1) anyone have any info on what the rim of these is going to be like?
2) any Tournament plastic Longbowman up for preorder? Checked two retailers and all they have is VIP....

I just got a VIP from Patrick Brown at the St Paddy's tourney. He told me the rim construction was similar to a Teebird, but this has a pan flat top. I haven't thrown it yet, but my guess is it will be like an OS Teebird that you can unload on a flat line and trust it.