• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] What’s in your putter slot?

Hard Dagger for putting, would not mind medium in the dead of winter.

Soft/Medium Dagger for upshots

Proton/Neutron Envy for driving

Neutron/Plasma Proxy for straight drives

Proton Spin for hyzerflips and turnovers

Z/Cryztal Zone for FH upshots

Crown (BT Medium) - putting putter
Zone (Titanium) - OS approaches and drives, also used for headwind putts on really windy days.
Envy (Neutron) - main driving putter
Envy (Electron) - US approaches and drives, also used as a second putting putter for warming up. This allows me to only carry one Crown in my bag.

This has changed for me somewhat. I'm trying to become comfortable putting with the same mold I throw, so this winter I've been experimenting with not bagging Crowns. Still not sure whether I'll fully commit to putting Envies, but for now my putters in the bag are:

Zone (Titanium) - same reason as three months ago.
Zone (Jawbreaker) - better grip in cold/wet conditions than Titanium plastic. Also, stability is less and slots between my Ti Zone and my Envies.
Envy (Neutron) - same reason as three months ago.
Envy (Electron) - same reason as three months ago.
Envy (Electron) - Second, fresh Electron Envy added to the bag for putting only duties.

A 155 Plasma Ion for putting. Trying to learn how to spin putt. You can really throw darts with it but the wind is not helpful. Heavy N Envy for throws (BH and FH), and a DX Polecat for approaches.

Still putting Ions and the experiment seems to have worked. I'm putting really consistently now, especially no more than I get to play. Moved up to a 170g N Ion for putts now, still Envy for FH and Polecat for approaching. I like using that Ion for BH throws also.

Putting with classic blend judges
I'm throwing a Lucid judge off the tee
Forehand/ os upshots esp zone

Not many people can say they have $80 worth of putters in their bag. :)

I am Close, I have 2 Proline Titanic's I payed $17 each new hot weather putters as well as some forehand pitch out of woods shots due to the hashmarks on a small portion of inner rim and older new in mid 2017 Jawbraker Magnets payed $15 for 2 of them Main putters as well as a Prostyle upshot #2 for a uphill/downhill putter that I payed $15 when the plastic type had just come out in 2005. I use the Magnet Jawbreaker except when it is too hot to even use the Jawbreaker Magnet mold as like others the Jawbreaker mold gets too much gripp in summer over 90 F to use as is wants to grab the hand and hopefully the Proline works as a Magnet like putter when the temps are that high. The Jawbraker plastic is nice just so bad in heat that I want Discraft to make a putter plastic for the Magnet that has grip and is more 1. more stiff then the modern Pro D for how slick that plastic can be or 2. is not getting to much grip in hot weather.

I even have a $25 worth now old Stiff Pro D Magnet I just retired from the bag but the heavy ink on it as well as it being worn in and slick even if I use Dawn to unslick the disc detracts from the disc quite a bit. I think the disc would be worth alot more If I never used it though the Stiff Clutch has lowered the price on the stiff Magnets.

Just found an A2 in the used bin in great shape today. I putt it through its paces and love it. Used to love my A3 when I still had it. A2 is better for current bag, fills a gap between Stego and Zone, and FH comfort is excellent.

Current config descending OS:

Stego
A2
Zone
Eclipse Envy
Electron Envy

The gap between a Stego and a Zone isn't a gap I have thought about a lot. It's quite a narrow, or at least very specific gap. It definitely does not have a slot in my bag, but then again, I'm really stingy with mold slots. To me it seems like just an extra piece of plastic to carry around with no actual real use.

Right now I have:
- super beat up SS Wizard
- Tar Pit STEGO

I have been using Links for the better part of two years but I'm getting back on the Wizard train lately and I do believe that it'll stay. I prefer the lower shoulder of the Link but I find the Wiz to be far superior off the tee and on approaches. This Wiz, even trashed, has great HSS so it'll just ride straight to the basket.

I have only recently started to throw the Stego for the majority of my approaches and it's ridiculously easy... I used to use it mostly for a get out of jail free card... But now I just throw it on nearly all my basket runs. So easy to range, it sticks when it hits AND it isn't thaaaat OS when throwing with approach power. It kinda just crashes down right where I need it to. I know this isn't great for my mechanics and fundamentals... Buttttt I'm no pro and if it works.. It works

Putts: Going back to the Eraser Wizard, Birdie & Rhyno weren't it
Approaches that need to stick: 4S Wizard
Low approaches that can slide & misc. duty: Eclipse Envy
Driving...er, I'm grabbing a midrange driver instead :p

The gap between a Stego and a Zone isn't a gap I have thought about a lot. It's quite a narrow, or at least very specific gap. It definitely does not have a slot in my bag, but then again, I'm really stingy with mold slots. To me it seems like just an extra piece of plastic to carry around with no actual real use.

Now that I've come down from the excitement of finally getting my hands on an A2, and now that the saner minds have prevailed upon me the lunacy of my position, I feel the only proper thing to do is double down.

Ok, ok.

Maybe at best the difference between an A2 and Stego is an additional 30-40', and about the same for an A2 and a Zone. Something like 210', 250', 290'. Or maybe 200', 235', 270'. I'll have to get out and take some data. At worst, it's what Dee-Doo said, making ish up.

I'd have to conduct some science on this, but I believe my math is correct.

I like OS putter for FH flex in particular, and there is a distinct angle-rate difference among all three. Stego is the Volume-to-11 angle-rate-change. A2 is a brisk, purposeful dump that starts immediately. Zone is a 'yes, dear' angle rate change--it will get around to it, but only after it buys a little time.

Is this spectrum worth developing as a skillset for DG mastery? Maybe not. Am I bored enough to find out? Probably.