• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What Are The Most Brutal Courses?

Iron Hill has been on my list for a long time. Used to throw a pink Z Pred with a tourney stamp from that course.

The Lions is on my wish list. Hawk Hollow is now, but looking at the page it appears closed until September. Maybe next fall I'll make a trip towards that side of VA..thanks for the suggestion.

Also I never knew there was a Goochland, VA until now :D

Hawk Hollow has a ton of elevation and is one of the more physically difficult rounds of golf out there. The Lions (when complete) will make it look like Mint Hill. For that matter Loriella Park from the long tees will give you a pretty severe beating as well.

Spring/fall are definitely the time to play these courses. Lake Marshall in the midsummer heat is a death march.

...and Iron Hill is great too.

WR Jackson (IDGC) in Appling, Ga.
Back 9 at Harmon Hills in Fall Branch, Tenn.

Harmon, Shumpert, and Claytons would be a seriously epic trip! And that doesn't even include the Morristown TN courses (still haven't played them but check those glowing reviews).

Harmon is a must play if your in this area. I like Schumpert but there are quite a few shots that you throw & hope you don't hit a random limb. Clayton is a solid course but the front 9 is closed & will be for a while.
I'd say go Morristown over Knoxville any day, & I live in Knoxville. Panther Creek is now open & it is a BEAST! It's 9600' & the majority of it is up & down, hardly any flat holes. First time I played it I shot 67 & didn't complain.
They just had Tn States & at Panther Creek Barsby shot a 62, Schultz a 65, & Feldberg a 64.
Fun course that absolutely kicked my tail

I've played Iron Hill, and The Kodiak at Woodland Valley DGC in Limerick Maine is a few notches tougher. Long distances, brutal rough off the fairway, and tons of elevation changes to boot. If you end up in Maine, check it out. As a bonus there are two much more realistic and fun courses also on the same land.

I'm looking for the most difficult GOLF possible, but physically challenging courses pique my interest too. I love me a good hike.

No interest in overgrown rough but I carry tools for dealing with that :)

I see you have yet to play Rockness Monster and Sasquatch. Both physically challenging and challenging golf. Played from the longs both are really tough.

Thank you, you're giving me a lot of courses to consider!

You can add Seth Burton and Orange Crush in Fairmont WV to your list. You could probably hit them on the way to/ from Ohio. I had my 11 year old son so we only played Seth. Fun course good hike. Looked at the Crush holes though and that loop looks tough.

Pipeline DGC in Spartanburg SC. It might have been a combination of the course and the 95 plus degree July day, but that course kicked my butt the day we played it.

Have you been to Rollin Ridge? Black to Black is pretty tough. You definitely won't be taking many 2s. The course record is Wysocki with a 56. I think Par is listed as 69.

^Actually, Bird's Ruins long tees is probably more brutal than RR Black to Black.

It's not as hard par-wise, but if you really want to beat yourself up, go play longs there by yourself in July or August. When I think of brutal disc golf, this is the kind of course that comes to mind; the moment you leave the fairway, you're lost. Thorns, poison stuff, knettles, bugs, etc. It's a rough place in the dead of summer.

Sunny lake in Ohio gold layout. Super amazingly brutal golf. I can play deer lakes in about an hour and 15 minutes and Sunny took me 4 hours. 11,000' for 18 holes is no joke. Especially for fair, but tightly wooded golf. Good elevation, plenty of water, and technical bombers left me looking like I just came out of a Rambo trailer. Literally had to shimmy across a fallen tree to get to an errant drive at one point, so I was covered in mud. Bring a course map though.

Panther Creek is now open & it is a BEAST! It's 9600' & the majority of it is up & down, hardly any flat holes. First time I played it I shot 67 & didn't complain.
They just had Tn States & at Panther Creek Barsby shot a 62, Schultz a 65, & Feldberg a 64.
Fun course that absolutely kicked my tail

I was wondering if anyone would mention Panther Creek. It was a real struggle. Par 5s that felt like par 5s. the uphill holes will tax you big time. I shot a 68, mainly because I couldn't putt after all the hiking.

Stafford Lake in Novato, CA. It's long, dry, hot, and rattler-friendly. You could also get eaten by a bear or a cougar. And then there's the poison oak. It's also one of the most scenic places I've ever played!

Looking forward to playing leviathan when I make it back up to the north country. Wish I would have played it last year when I was up their visiting flip city for the first time. Keep hearing a lot about it.

Everyone need to look at MikeC's BUMP post. He is looking for courses closer to Charlotte than Ohio. Just saying...

He also travels back to Ohio a decent bit. I think Sunny Lake is exactly the course he is looking for.

@MikeC:

I, as well as many others, have seen you play.
There's no disc golf course in the world that would literally have this effect on you.

My suggestion would be to start playing with your off-hand. :)

Latest posts