• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What are the secret shots in your bag?

I've rarely used it but the short distance / low power roller has been surprisingly helpful for those salvage shots when you need to get out of thick shrubbery. It's often better than just pitching out to the fairway.

Whiz you definitely throw more oddball shots than anyone I play with. For the record those thumber rollers are sick.

As far as shot selection goes sometimes I feel like I'm the only guy in NC who isn't crushing thumbers...

The Air Delay. Taken directly from freestyle, you need a beat to hell lid and you throw it as high as you can. Aim a little off in a direction and you get a perfect horseshoe.

Ground bump is a goody too. An air bump that actually hits the ground and then gets air. You can get under really low branches to get a look at the basket.

It's water, that's how he beats his buddys on the last 5 holes... He's not keepin up...

LOL! :D

You need every edge you can get when you play against peeps like WorldsCoolestGuy. :| :| :|

Since I've started playing ultimate in college I've been throwing a lot of hammers on the course, which are thrown a lot like tomahawks, but they fly differently.

beerandshot.jpg

Shhhh.....don't tell anyone. ;)

In all honesty though, I don't have any seceret shots. I like to spread my knowledge to anyone who is willing to learn and give credit where it's due. I use all kinds of shots when I play. I've actually thrown a disc upside down in order for it to slide under a very low pine tree just so I can drop in my putt.

FH Rollers, a few thumbers, i can do a thumber roller, don't use it too often though, and i've got a half decent turbo putt that I use when i'm lazy (AKA anything within 10 feet) or if my stance is a good bit below the basket, which is the case for a couple holes on my home course pretty often.

Bholy: What disc do you throw for that and how do you throw it? I would guess something overstable with very little snap/spin.

that's actually one of the shots I like to throw. It just takes a lot of spin, due to how many forehands I've thrown, I throw with too much spin on tommy's now. They don't turn over, usually something like a predator I can get quite a ways on just a flick of the wrist completely vertical. The best imo is a flat Z Flick for this shot. With the super flat flicks you can actually release it at any angle and it will hold that angle in the roll once it hits the ground.

My other is forehand upshots, I have only seen one other person that predominantly forehand upshots. I've passed on a few tricks to people that play with me a lot though. Forehand anhyzer upshots with a putter are my specialty.

My other is forehand upshots, I have only seen one other person that predominantly forehand upshots. I've passed on a few tricks to people that play with me a lot though. Forehand anhyzer upshots with a putter are my specialty.

I am probably 50/50 between FH/BH upshots. More FH when in the woods, and I always use a putter.

that's actually one of the shots I like to throw. It just takes a lot of spin, due to how many forehands I've thrown, I throw with too much spin on tommy's now. They don't turn over, usually something like a predator I can get quite a ways on just a flick of the wrist completely vertical. The best imo is a flat Z Flick for this shot. With the super flat flicks you can actually release it at any angle and it will hold that angle in the roll once it hits the ground.

Last part sounds like mark ellis, amazed at his forehand approach game! Def an area that I need to improve

Also A pancake thumber. I use an X Buzz and release the disc high with little snap. Glides down left and slides a good way on its back.

I used to throw this with my Rhyno. Great for very short range when you need predictable left turn instead of praying a high hyzer gets you there. I can't do this anymore because my shoulder yells "F**K YOU!!! every time I throw overhand...

Last part sounds like mark ellis, amazed at his forehand approach game! Def an area that I need to improve

...or forehand :(

I use the Patent Pending shot alot. I don't see many people throwing this.

Also Forehand Rollers and Air Rollers. Putter rollers mmmmmm. Every once in a while I break out the upside down forehand putt for getting out of a tricky spot.

Jerry Dobbins is really the only other one in the area that throws a ton of forehand rollers besides me.

I use scoobers from time to time, which I don't see many people do. Similar to a hammer, but started from my shoulder/chest area instead of from over my head. I use it for short get out of trouble shots, and sometimes for extremely uphill putts. I used to use that in casual ultimate for short break force throws and in dorm hallways, so I'm very comfortable with it.

Latest posts