• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

what disc is better

3monsterboys

Par Member
i'm looking at two disc right now one is a monarch and the other is a roadrunner. which one is the better of the two?

I would suggest the Roadrunner, I have tried the Monarch and wasnt impressed.

Depends on how much power you have and what you want it to do. The Roadrunner is a better roller IMO. The Monarch is probably a better hyzer flip distance disc, but it's too flippy and touchy for my taste. Neither of them are in my bag.

i HAD a roadrunner in my bag because i could get it to dogleg right for me if i put a crazy anny on it that wont allow it to turn back over it just cuts right for me, but i found that i can make my sidewinder do the same but more consistantly.

i carry two roadrunners, one for forehand rollers (165 champ) and one for wooded tomahawk rollers (star 175). they are just an awesome versatile disc to use.

i agree with solomon...forgot to mention i bust out the roadrunner in wooded courses just for tomahawks as well

i haven't used a roadrunner much at all, but the monarch is probably my favorite disc just flies like I want it to fly everytime i actually keep two in my bag.

i HAD a roadrunner in my bag because i could get it to dogleg right for me if i put a crazy anny on it that wont allow it to turn back over it just cuts right for me, but i found that i can make my sidewinder do the same but more consistantly.

I carry a sidewinder aswell. Dont carry a Roadrunner or Monarch.

I carry both in my bag, my preferance is a roadrunner. I can get more distance with it, I can throw it anny and it holds the line longer and not much fade at the end of the flight. My monarch is a good disc, but has more fade at the end of the flight.

i've had both, never cared a lot for the roadrunner, but never really threw it a lot...had a newer champ monarch that i absolutely LOVED for a flip hyzer or right turning shot, but lost it in the drink at freeman back on new years eve...found a used replacement monarch but it is SUPER understable, almost good only for rollers...if the groove is what i've heard it is, it may just become my go-to understable driver (should know more on that by tomorrow ;) )...

I personally don't like the roadrunner probally because I'm not utilizing it properly.... I had one bit gave it to a buddy of mine and he lost it for me........ I've never thrown a monarch so I don't know how they fly althiugh I've heard good an bad things about them......In my personel opinion I'd go with the roadrunner because I see more people with skill chunking those rather than a monarch...... ( great beginner disc from what I hear ).....

Depends on how much power you have and what you want it to do. The Roadrunner is a better roller IMO.

Roadrunner definately performs better rolling and at slower speeds. The Monarch is made to be thrown at higher speeds. I carry both but I am still learning the Monarch.

The RR also good for tomahawks like mentioned previously.

Not a fan of the roadrunner. still carry it just never did what I wanted, My champ Sidewinder is more consistant, My monarch is used as a hyser flip or long straight with a small left finish.

I used to throw a star roadrunner alot, but I have gained to much torque for it and it has become really flippy for me, but I never really cared for the monarch.

i've had both, and i prefer the roadrunner. i use the roadrunner (champion plastic) for long drives that i need to turn right (RHBH) and not come back. i can actually throw it flat and get it to make a smooth, right-hand turn. the monarch didn't have any problems turning, but it always wanted to turn back left toward the end. i gave the monarch to a buddy of mine, but i'm hanging on to the roadrunner. works great for hyzer flips and rollers as well.

I have both a Roadrunner & monarch in champion plastic..both light wieghts (161 & 163). I agree with what some others say, the Monarch is more overstable. Every time i throw my Monarch it seems to want to fade quickly! So IMHO the Roadrunner might give someone better distance. Don't know about the roller shot though, i'm not good at rolling.

So I threw a roadrunner for the first time today and I liked it. Its so understable its very easy to turn right ... in fact its hard to do much but turn it right. The Monarch is much faster and relatively more stable. IMO I like the monarch better, but both are pretty decent discs.

I also have both... I use the roadrunner more often as it does not appear to be as nose sensitive as the Monarch. The Monarch is a longer flying disc if you learn to release it correctly