• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What discs do you throw grenades with?

I forgot about this throw! A while a go some guy showed it to me. He was calling it something else, I think someones name.. Anyway, I've only tried it twice, with a Whippet. It worked.

Its very common to use the same (utility) disc for the tommy, thumber, & grenade.
I use a sp tsunami, so basically a z pred for the majority of these shots but advise trying all of your discs.

Thumber - thum on inner wall holding the disc like a hand gun. Arm movement can range from an overhand to a side arm but the standard is overhand. Usually produces an up and over flight moving left to right.

Tommy is opposite disc positioning and flight. Grip resembles fh grip but the fingers are commonly placed mid flight plate.

Grenande is usually used as an alternative up and over shot that moves right to left. Its thrown upside down with the thumb applying pressure to the rim.
Same grip thrown over the shoulder is what i know as a scooby.

It gives a very hard stop, trying throwing one sometime. Say for example you had a 45' approach shot but there is water 50' away (5' past the basket). If you want to throw a gentle approach, you can throw a grenade and when it hits the ground it will literally bounce ("explode") and it will stop where it hits.

It's also useful if you have to throw over something right in front of you and you don't want to throw a hammer and have it skip 20'.

So essentially, it gives you a much harder stop without the risk of a skip. You should definitely try it out.

It lands like a wheel spinning in reverse, works along the ground too for say... going under some pines.

Usually only use the Anode or Drone since you can't throw grenades very far in the first place, but on rare occasions I'll use either an xXx or a/an [insert current understable driver here].

Anode
Drone
xXx
M-OLF

I practice grenades in the field here and there. Just like spike hyzers, the more stable the disc the less left-right movement it will have.

As craftsman said, another thing the grenade is useful for is it can fly an inverse spike hyzer line. Imagine you're in a situation (as a RHBH player) where the only window open up top is on the left and you have to finish slightly right. If you throw a grenade on a spike releasing it perfectly up and down, the disc will come crashing back down on a lefty spike hyzer line, traveling right. The less stable the disc, the farther it will travel right.

Last edited:
I throw grenades w/rocs up to about 220-240 very dependable flight path. And versatile too.